Official Game Thread - 8/3 -Bucs @ Brewers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

1C293E3E350C3E3E35323E5B0 wrote: I mean, what's a guy gotta DO to make Doc LIKE him? Guy's SO negative.  ;)
I think there's a guy name BOB that wants to have a word with you ::)
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Trust me.  Nobody named BOB wants to speak with me.

NOBODY named ANYbody does!  :)

Except, maybe Shed☆

Speaking of that, check your Inbox, why don't you?

☆and, I'm not even sure about THAT. ;)
Javy

Post by Javy »

153835242332256566570 wrote: To all Polanco haters: he just robbed the Brewers of a 2 out game winning HR in the bottom of the 9th

I don't hate Polanco, I just hate that he's playing for the Pirates. 
Well Doc, I can see them picking up his option for next year now.

I mean, how can you let a guy go for nothing that can do everything he does? Do you really want to gamble on his breakout season coming in another teams uniform?
:D I think this was tongue n cheek. At least I hope it was. Imagine taking 9 years to have your breakout season and having to be paid 12.5 million to find out if it's finally going to happen.
There's as much chance of me being serious about that as there is Shedman being excited about the trades and draft picks ;D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

416A7D720B0 wrote: To all Polanco haters: he just robbed the Brewers of a 2 out game winning HR in the bottom of the 9th

I don't hate Polanco, I just hate that he's playing for the Pirates. 
Well Doc, I can see them picking up his option for next year now.

I mean, how can you let a guy go for nothing that can do everything he does? Do you really want to gamble on his breakout season coming in another teams uniform?
:D I think this was tongue n cheek. At least I hope it was. Imagine taking 9 years to have your breakout season and having to be paid 12.5 million to find out if it's finally going to happen.
There's as much chance of me being serious about that as there is Shedman being excited about the trades and draft picks ;D
:D :D :D
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

0254425659435358554270575D51595C1E53300 wrote: Hoy playing is great, just what I want to see.  But playing for Reynolds instead of Polanco is inexcusable.  I’m failing to understand.  Can anyone suggest a reason why?

The next two months offer a perfect opportunity to play the guys just acquired who are close enough to major league-ready.  Some of them are destined to be part of the team that reaches the postseason sometime in the near future, if that’s the goal.  What possible reason is there to continue to play Polanco, Evans, Newman, etc when the new guys can have opportunities to grow now when the won/lost record is inconsequential?  It makes no sense.

He had a good July.  If he finishes well maybe they can flip him for a prospect.

Here are his July numbers.

He improved his batting average from June 30 to July 31 from .195 to .205.

He had 10 hits, which included one double and two HRs.

He drove in eight runs.

I’m hard pressed to refer to those numbers as “good”.  Accepting them as such just lowers standards, which I think his supporters have done.  No one in baseball would find them acceptable, which explains why BC was unable to trade him.

I was looking at his splits at ESPN.  His OPS in July was 875.  [highlight]I really hope they don't pick up his option, but I am worried that they will.[/highlight]

I don't think they will.  BC has a plan for the young talent he's gathering.  I can't imagine Polanco being part of that plan.

I wouldn't bank on that.  Who is part of the RF plan next year that is ready to make an impact?  Our RF options are Fowler (pass), and Madris (double pass).  Unless you are moving Swaggerty from CF to RF, you don't have anyone ready. So its either Polanco, or picking up some schlep off the bone pile, like Stokes and see if he can do anything.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6E7E7F485E5E523D0 wrote: Hoy playing is great, just what I want to see.  But playing for Reynolds instead of Polanco is inexcusable.  I’m failing to understand.  Can anyone suggest a reason why?

The next two months offer a perfect opportunity to play the guys just acquired who are close enough to major league-ready.  Some of them are destined to be part of the team that reaches the postseason sometime in the near future, if that’s the goal.  What possible reason is there to continue to play Polanco, Evans, Newman, etc when the new guys can have opportunities to grow now when the won/lost record is inconsequential?  It makes no sense.

He had a good July.  If he finishes well maybe they can flip him for a prospect.

Here are his July numbers.

He improved his batting average from June 30 to July 31 from .195 to .205.

He had 10 hits, which included one double and two HRs.

He drove in eight runs.

I’m hard pressed to refer to those numbers as “good”.  Accepting them as such just lowers standards, which I think his supporters have done.  No one in baseball would find them acceptable, which explains why BC was unable to trade him.

I was looking at his splits at ESPN.  His OPS in July was 875.  [highlight]I really hope they don't pick up his option, but I am worried that they will.[/highlight]

I don't think they will.  BC has a plan for the young talent he's gathering.  I can't imagine Polanco being part of that plan.

I wouldn't bank on that.  Who is part of the RF plan next year that is ready to make an impact?  Our RF options are Fowler (pass), and Madris (double pass).  Unless you are moving Swaggerty from CF to RF, you don't have anyone ready.  So its either Polanco, or picking up some schlep off the bone pile, like Stokes and see if he can do anything.

That's one reason why, if the Pirates think Park can be a solid player, he plays in RF everyday for the rest of the season.  It's the perfect time to find out, and for him to gain experience.  The one thing I'm most sure of is that Polanco won't be here when the Pirates are competitive again, so it makes no sense to play him over guys who the club may need when that time comes.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I don't care if he hits .400 the rest of the way. He just can't stay healthy, and it takes forever for him to recover.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

63504C4D4E46704D564A5156474B4C220 wrote: I don't care if he hits .400 the rest of the way. He just can't stay healthy, and it takes forever for him to recover.

Yet one more excellent point.