Huntington on Bell/Jaso on radio show...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6C495A4F53585352575F3B0 wrote: These arguments in favor of Bell replacing Jaso are premised on the belief that the Pirates are actively putting an inferior product on the field by not using readily available assets.  Does anyone really believe that? This isn't dumping a bad contract or failing to make a trade. This is simply refusing to promote a better player. I doubt that.  Jaso has had the same general value as Alvarez last year according to BR. He has hit less and played better defense.  They have both been basically zero value players. So, it's not a matter of Bell playing defense as bad as Pedro.  If he plays defense even close to Pedro, he has to hit better than Pedro to be better than Jaso.  There would seem to be a reasonable belief that he wouldn't. On this, I'm willing to defer to management thought, as I haven't seen his defense.

you are quoting Jaso's value for the year, it is below zero since the All Star break.  Which imo means there is a fairly good chance that Bell could be better.

You can't manage a team in that fashion.  Your style would have McCutchen continuing to sit in favor of Joyce.  Jaso is hitting way below his norm.  Recently, in my opinion, he's been getting unlucky.  His at bat bats have looked much better than his results with several lineouts, etc.  In any event, without seeing Bell's defense, it's hard to conclude that he would be a clear upgrade and, again, why would the Pirates make such a choice. Hard to sit here and actually say Jaso is getting unlucky when he is hitting .186 over the course of the last 7 weeks since mid to late June, and his OBP has gone down significantly each month since May when he was getting on base at a fairly high rate. Plus, he has hit one home run in the last 3 months. In my opinion, that isn't getting unlucky that is simply not producing. Those are the stats and they don't lie about how bad Jaso has really been over the last 2 months. The bottom line is Jaso stinks right now and a change is needed especially with the season virtually on the line here every game going forward. If Bell comes and does worse then Jaso I will be the first one to admit I was wrong. But we aren't going to know that unless they give him a chance, and now is the time to give him that chance.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6C495A4F53585352575F3B0 wrote: These arguments in favor of Bell replacing Jaso are premised on the belief that the Pirates are actively putting an inferior product on the field by not using readily available assets.  Does anyone really believe that? This isn't dumping a bad contract or failing to make a trade. This is simply refusing to promote a better player. I doubt that.  Jaso has had the same general value as Alvarez last year according to BR. He has hit less and played better defense.  They have both been basically zero value players. So, it's not a matter of Bell playing defense as bad as Pedro.  If he plays defense even close to Pedro, he has to hit better than Pedro to be better than Jaso.  There would seem to be a reasonable belief that he wouldn't. On this, I'm willing to defer to management thought, as I haven't seen his defense.

you are quoting Jaso's value for the year, it is below zero since the All Star break.  Which imo means there is a fairly good chance that Bell could be better.

You can't manage a team in that fashion.  Your style would have McCutchen continuing to sit in favor of Joyce.  Jaso is hitting way below his norm.  Recently, in my opinion, he's been getting unlucky.  His at bat bats have looked much better than his results with several lineouts, etc.  In any event, without seeing Bell's defense, it's hard to conclude that he would be a clear upgrade and, again, why would the Pirates make such a choice.

sure you can manage in that fashion, especially for a player that is a platoon player and others have pointed out his numbers have been bad since at least the end of May. Your point about lineouts and hitting the ball harder now is a good reason to keep him out there.
Quail

Post by Quail »

7F5A495C404B4041444C280 wrote: These arguments in favor of Bell replacing Jaso are premised on the belief that the Pirates are actively putting an inferior product on the field by not using readily available assets.  Does anyone really believe that? This isn't dumping a bad contract or failing to make a trade. This is simply refusing to promote a better player. I doubt that.  Jaso has had the same general value as Alvarez last year according to BR. He has hit less and played better defense.  They have both been basically zero value players. So, it's not a matter of Bell playing defense as bad as Pedro.  If he plays defense even close to Pedro, he has to hit better than Pedro to be better than Jaso.  There would seem to be a reasonable belief that he wouldn't. On this, I'm willing to defer to management thought, as I haven't seen his defense.

You can't manage a team in that fashion.  Your style would have McCutchen continuing to sit in favor of Joyce.  Jaso is hitting way below his norm.  Recently, in my opinion, he's been getting unlucky.  His at bat bats have looked much better than his results with several lineouts, etc.  In any event, without seeing Bell's defense, it's hard to conclude that he would be a clear upgrade and, again, why would the Pirates make such a choice.

Why would they make that choice?

1. They're in a race for the playoffs and John Jaso has been abominably ineffective offensively (and nothing special defensively) since June 1st. BA-less than.200, OPB- less than .300, OPS-less than 600.

2. Their current lineup features McCutchen, Kang, and Cervelli who are all greatly underachieving offensively making Jaso's ineffectiveness all that much more of a problem and Bell's potential all that much more attractive.

3. Without seeing Bell's defense it's hard to conclude he'll be even close to as bad defensively as Pedro.

In addition Bell is an internal option which requires no loss of organizational 'assets'.

And if we are going to rely on anecdotal observation with Jaso about recently improving at bats (without corresponding production) to be worthy of his continued use, then how do you defend continuing to use Cutch regularly when the exit velocity of his BBIP has decreased steadily each month this season from 92.5 mph in April to 87.0 mph in July? Using Joyce more often and Cutch less often would seem pretty reasonable at this point based on fact not conjecture. (reference here: http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post ... tar-hitter )

The fact is you can manage a team that way and have a good chance of improving your lineup. The Pirates have decided against it for reasons that would appear to be because they are more risk averse than success driven.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Taking the attitude that we are in it to win it, if I were the Pirates I would do the following ---

1) Bell is up tomorrow and regularly starts at either 1st base or right field; seeing as Polanco is again ailing. Bell is a hitter, nuff said.

2) Bell, Rodriguez and Freeze start at 1st base and Jaso is demoted to the bench. I loathed the off-season signing of Rodriguez, but he actually brings some pop to the line-up and we all know that his defense at first is unparalleled.

3) Frazier gets some regular playing time with Harrison at 2nd.

4) Fryer starts at least 1 of every 3 games.

5) Freese gets more playing time at 3rd than Kang because Kang is in a terrible funk. I also give Rodriguez some time at 3rd. I don't think that either Freese or Rodriguez are long-term answers, but this season, both are better than what we have been trotting out to both 1st and 3rd.

6) Joyce gets more regular at-bats at the expense of Cutch.

I am not excited about this team's chances, but most of the regulars in the line-up have underperformed so badly that they have earned more time observing rather than playing the game.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

4367737B7E120 wrote: These arguments in favor of Bell replacing Jaso are premised on the belief that the Pirates are actively putting an inferior product on the field by not using readily available assets.  Does anyone really believe that? This isn't dumping a bad contract or failing to make a trade. This is simply refusing to promote a better player. I doubt that.  Jaso has had the same general value as Alvarez last year according to BR. He has hit less and played better defense.  They have both been basically zero value players. So, it's not a matter of Bell playing defense as bad as Pedro.  If he plays defense even close to Pedro, he has to hit better than Pedro to be better than Jaso.  There would seem to be a reasonable belief that he wouldn't. On this, I'm willing to defer to management thought, as I haven't seen his defense.

1. They're in a race for the playoffs and John Jaso has been abominably ineffective offensively (and nothing special defensively) since June 1st. BA-less than.200, OPB- less than .300, OPS-less than 600.

2. Their current lineup features McCutchen, Kang, and Cervelli  who are all greatly underachieving offensively making Jaso's ineffectiveness all that much more of a problem and Bell's potential all that much more attractive.

3. Without seeing Bell's defense it's hard to conclude he'll be even close to as bad defensively as Pedro.

In addition Bell is an internal option which requires no loss of organizational 'assets'.

And if we are going to rely on anecdotal observation with Jaso about recently improving at bats (without corresponding production) to be worthy of his continued use, then how do you defend continuing to use Cutch regularly when the exit velocity of his BBIP has decreased steadily each month this season from 92.5 mph in April to 87.0 mph in July? Using Joyce more often and Cutch less often would seem pretty reasonable at this point based on fact not conjecture. (reference here: http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post ... tar-hitter )

The fact is you can manage a team that way and have a good chance of improving your lineup. The Pirates have decided against it for reasons that would appear to be because they are more risk averse than success driven.

You completely misunderstood my post. Why would the Pirates be choosing to keep an allegedly better option in Bell in AAA? That's what people seem to be claiming. I have never seen Bell play first base. It appears that you haven't either. The fact is that defense matters. As I pointed out, Alvarez hit better last year than Jaso is this year but he provided no greater value. Bell only recently transitioned from the outfield to first base. This is a traditionally more difficult transition than third base to first base. Yet, Alvarez was terrible last year. Maybe Bell is not much if any better. It simply makes no sense to argue Bell would be better without any real foundation to make the claim.
Quail

Post by Quail »

79555D5A5176415747340 wrote: Taking the attitude that we are in it to win it, if I were the Pirates I would do the following ---

1)  Bell is up tomorrow and regularly starts at either 1st base or right field; seeing as Polanco is again ailing.  Bell is a hitter, nuff said.

2)  Bell, Rodriguez and Freeze start at 1st base and Jaso is demoted to the bench.  I loathed the off-season signing of Rodriguez, but he actually brings some pop to the line-up and we all know that his defense at first is unparalleled.

3)  Frazier gets some regular playing time with Harrison at 2nd.

4)  Fryer starts at least 1 of every 3 games.   

5)  Freese gets more playing time at 3rd than Kang because Kang is in a terrible funk.  I also give Rodriguez some time at 3rd. I don't think that either Freese or Rodriguez are long-term answers, but this season, both are better than what we have been trotting out to both 1st and 3rd.

6)  Joyce gets more regular at-bats at the expense of Cutch.

I am not excited about this team's chances, but most of the regulars in the line-up have underperformed so badly that they have earned more time observing rather than playing the game.

Agreed on all counts!

I was also wrongly dismayed at the SRod signing. He's been stellar.
Quail

Post by Quail »

634655405C575C5D5850340 wrote: These arguments in favor of Bell replacing Jaso are premised on the belief that the Pirates are actively putting an inferior product on the field by not using readily available assets.  Does anyone really believe that? This isn't dumping a bad contract or failing to make a trade. This is simply refusing to promote a better player. I doubt that.  Jaso has had the same general value as Alvarez last year according to BR. He has hit less and played better defense.  They have both been basically zero value players. So, it's not a matter of Bell playing defense as bad as Pedro.  If he plays defense even close to Pedro, he has to hit better than Pedro to be better than Jaso.  There would seem to be a reasonable belief that he wouldn't. On this, I'm willing to defer to management thought, as I haven't seen his defense.

2. Their current lineup features McCutchen, Kang, and Cervelli  who are all greatly underachieving offensively making Jaso's ineffectiveness all that much more of a problem and Bell's potential all that much more attractive.

You completely misunderstood my post.  Why would the Pirates be choosing to keep an allegedly better option in Bell in AAA? That's what people seem to be claiming.  I have never seen Bell play first base. It appears that you haven't either.  The fact is that defense matters.  As I pointed out, Alvarez hit better last year than Jaso is this year but he provided no greater value. Bell only recently transitioned from the outfield to first base.  This is a traditionally more difficult transition than third base to first base.  Yet, Alvarez was terrible last year.  Maybe Bell is not much if any better.  It simply makes no sense to argue Bell would be better without any real foundation to make the claim. 

Because they are being overly risk averse at a time when offensive improvement of their MLB team is more important to their chances of making the playoffs than micromanaging a player who may not yet have achieved defensive excellence (or even mediocrity) but is clearly a good hitter.

I saw Bell play first base this year in spring training in both game conditions and during infield drills. He looked unimpressive but not incompetent when I saw him. My feeling is that if he's anything other than horrible defensively he needs to be playing for the Pirates right now.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Bell has played twice as many games at first than Jaso.

That doesn't mean he is better defensively but I would think if he isn't adequate by now he is never going to make it.