Huntington on Bell/Jaso on radio show...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

He was asked about this yet again by Greg Brown and once again he gave an answer that really wasn't very good. He said something like if you look at John Jaso defensively he is a much better option then Bell is at this point and it's not even close, and having him in the lineup everyday makes us a better team over having a guy like Bell in there everyday. Yes he is definitely better seeing what a great throw Jaso made to home yesterday on that one hop when Hamilton scored. I'm sure Bell couldn't have done that.

Maybe they see things we don't which I am sure they do but how can you continually sit there and say that Jaso gives you a better chance to win games when he is hitting well under .200 in the last 7 weeks or so?? I just don't get it. This team needs an offensive spark now too being only 3 games out of a playoff spot, and by continuing to run Jaso out there every game which he played this weekend it's not getting it done. So far he is 2 for 12 in August.

It's not like Bell is some young 19-20 year old prospect the guy is going to turn 24 years old this month. What if he never gets better at 1st base then he is right now?? It's mind boggling to me when you are in a pennant race like this and are struggling for offense a ton in the last 3 weeks, and a guy like Bell who is a switch hitter and can help you and you will not give him a chance over a guy who is hitting about .170 over the last 7 weeks. Bell has to see this and has to be getting annoyed himself that he is not up here yet. It's not like he is being blocked by this great player over there either. Moves like this are why this team is going to most likely miss the playoffs.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

During the offseason, there was talk of the DH in the NL as early as 2017. The talk was eventually squelched, but I'm starting to wonder if that's not the plan for Bell.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The plan is the Pirates are wasting 4 million dollars a year on John Jaso and they are too cheap to want to just eat his salary and call a guy like Bell up who is much better even though Jaso stinks and adds nothing. That is pretty much the plan in a nutshell right now. So they will continue to keep playing him and shoving him down our throats in the middle of a playoff race, and in return he will continue to suck and not help the Pirates in anyway get closer to being that 2nd wildcard team.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

436475717469566275747469100 wrote: He was asked about this yet again by Greg Brown and once again he gave an answer that really wasn't very good. He said something like if you look at John Jaso defensively he is a much better option then Bell is at this point and it's not even close, and having him in the lineup everyday makes us a better team over having a guy like Bell in there everyday. Yes he is definitely better seeing what a great throw Jaso made to home yesterday on that one hop when Hamilton scored. I'm sure Bell couldn't have done that.

Maybe they see things we don't which I am sure they do but how can you continually sit there and say that Jaso gives you a better chance to win games when he is hitting well under .200 in the last 7 weeks or so?? I just don't get it. This team needs an offensive spark now too being only 3 games out of a playoff spot, and by continuing to run Jaso out there every game which he played this weekend it's not getting it done. So far he is 2 for 12 in August.

It's not like Bell is some young 19-20 year old prospect the guy is going to turn 24 years old this month. What if he never gets better at 1st base then he is right now?? It's mind boggling to me when you are in a pennant race like this and are struggling for offense a ton in the last 3 weeks, and a guy like Bell who is a switch hitter and can help you and you will not give him a chance over a guy who is hitting about .170 over the last 7 weeks. Bell has to see this and has to be getting annoyed himself that he is not up here yet. It's not like he is being blocked by this great player over there either. Moves like this are why this team is going to most likely miss the playoffs.

At one time I thought NH was too honest in interviews for his own good. Now I take everything he says with a grain of salt. This could be his way of trying to maintain some value for Jaso.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

That is sad to hear that Huntington prefers defense over offense right now. The Pirates had the worst defensive first baseman last year and it still hurt the team.

I just think is an excuse and Huntington doesn't have a friendly answer. He is probably trying to move Jaso but not having much luck. I am sure he doesn't want to waste that $4 million next year if he doesn't have to.

I would send down Frazier and bring up Bell. No knock on Frazier, but he has options. Is Freese still banged up?
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

604647504656250 wrote: He was asked about this yet again by Greg Brown and once again he gave an answer that really wasn't very good. He said something like if you look at John Jaso defensively he is a much better option then Bell is at this point and it's not even close, and having him in the lineup everyday makes us a better team over having a guy like Bell in there everyday. Yes he is definitely better seeing what a great throw Jaso made to home yesterday on that one hop when Hamilton scored. I'm sure Bell couldn't have done that.

At one time I thought NH was too honest in interviews for his own good.  Now I take everything he says with a grain of salt.  This could be his way of trying to maintain some value for Jaso. I would hope that might be the case. Because there is no way that both Huntington and Hurdle can both agree and really actually believe that Jaso is truly a better option at 1st base right now then Josh Bell is especially with the bat. For them to sit there and act like Jaso is some messiah in the field at 1st base which is really what they are acting like, and Bell has no chance to overtake him over there is ridiculous. If Jaso is so good at 1st base and completely and totally irreplaceable, then why does Hurdle remove him essentially every game they are winning for Sean Rodriguez in the 8th inning??
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

7F747C7075746F2A2C5B627A7374743578741B0 wrote: That is sad to hear that Huntington prefers defense over offense right now.  The Pirates had the worst defensive first baseman last year and it still hurt the team.

I just think is an excuse and Huntington doesn't have a friendly answer.  He is probably trying to move Jaso but not having much luck.  I am sure he doesn't want to waste that $4 million next year if he doesn't have to.

I would send down Frazier and bring up Bell.  No knock on Frazier, but he has options.  Is Freese still banged up?    Or how about just DFA'ing Jeff Locke once and for all. You don't owe the guy hardly anything for the remainder of the season, and you have enough options in the bullpen. There is no way I send Frazier down for Bell. Frazier has earned the right to be up here and has helped the Pirates win a bunch of games. Frazier and Bell being on the roster makes the Pirates a better team as opposed to both Bell and Locke being on the roster with Frazier being sent down. This is another example of this roster being completely and totally mis-managed this entire season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

You are right about Locke. I just don't see the Pirates going with 11 pitchers.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

343F373B3E3F246167102931383F3F7E333F500 wrote: You are right about Locke.  I just don't see the Pirates going with 11 pitchers.  While we are on the bullpen yesterday I did not like bringing in a guy like Partch when the game was still within reach at both 4-2 and 5-2. You have an off day today, and could have went with your best arms to try and give your team the best chance to win and Hurdle once again didn't do that. Hughes is another guy that Hurdle continues to use in key situations and he just continues to stink and give up runs each time he pitches.

Don't get me wrong the offense also had a lot to do with not winning that game yesterday as they blew some golden opportunities in both the 7th and 8th innings. Still Hurdle has to do a better job of using his best pitchers in a 2 run game when you have an off day the next day. Guys like Hughes and Partch don't fall into that category.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

For Bell to come up one of the position players needs to be sent to AAA or a position player will be traded or dfa. They will not remove a pitcher and go with an 11 man staff.