Re: Pirates Fire Eckstein

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4D6B6C79707C6B7D751E0 wrote: It's strange timing.  I know we'll never know the real reason (or at least we shouldn't).  Was there something specific they didn't like? 
What I posted was directly from Shelton. They had philosophical differences, and it wasn't the philosophy the Pirates wanted throughout their organization. No mention of what that was, but previous posters mentioned Ecksteins contact approach.

As others have also mentioned, this does allow him a chance to get a leg up for another job before other coaches get canned in the MLB coaching carousel.

I believe that soon pretty much everyone that was a NH holdover will be gone.
Yeah I saw that, but at first blush it sounded a lot like how bands break up for "artistic reasons" when really they hate each other haha
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Just a gut thought. I believe that Eckstein was originally brought to be the Assistant GM. He supposedly was thought to be a f.o. guy of the future. Am I correct?. I can see how a "hitting coach" would want different input if that was the case.

Regardless, Cherington had no tie to him, so he was vulnerable.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

1124333338013333383F33560 wrote: Just a gut thought.  I believe that Eckstein was originally brought to be the Assistant GM.  He supposedly was thought to be a f.o. guy of the future.  Am I correct?. I can see how a "hitting coach" would want different input if that was the case.

Regardless, Cherington had no tie to him, so he was vulnerable.

That was his brother.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

694F485D54584F59513A0 wrote: It's strange timing.  I know we'll never know the real reason (or at least we shouldn't).  Was there something specific they didn't like? 
What I posted was directly from Shelton. They had philosophical differences, and it wasn't the philosophy the Pirates wanted throughout their organization. No mention of what that was, but previous posters mentioned Ecksteins contact approach.

As others have also mentioned, this does allow him a chance to get a leg up for another job before other coaches get canned in the MLB coaching carousel.

I believe that soon pretty much everyone that was a NH holdover will be gone.

I don't think what you posted was directly from Shelton. No way Shelton said those exact words.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Shelton said in the pregame thing last night it was philosophical differences. There was no elaboration. He then said they would use some assistants to fill in the role until the season was over.

ask someone if they dvr'd the game. You can watch for yourself. I didn't put a microphone on it, I just paraphrased it but he said "philosophical differences" and that's all I'm quoting him on.

Does anyone on this board actually watch the pregame besides me? I can't be the only one
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

6E494040495A59496E594F2C0 wrote:

I don't think what you posted was directly from Shelton. No way Shelton said those exact words.

This is a quote from the Trib, which is saying the same thing as last night:

Shelton said the decision to fire Eckstein was not based on individual player results but rather the “vision of our hitting program moving forward.”

“I think this decision was based off the leadership moving forward and the direction we want our hitting group to go in, not only at the major-league level but organizationally,” Shelton said. “That was the reason why. To say it was specific hitter-based or group-based, it was more about how we want to move forward with our hitting program and finding a different leader to do that.”
shedman

Post by shedman »

271205050E3705050E0905600 wrote: Differences, Philosophy-Style

Epstein:  Give me guys who hit in 2021 and don't dump any who do.

Cherington:  Bye.
_______

It is just mind numbing with the continuous defense of Cherington no matter how poor his performance is. I am beginning to believe that if his teams ended up in last place 10 consecutive years until 2031, then we would hear that in 2035, we will be good.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

253E33323B3738560 wrote: Differences, Philosophy-Style

_______

It is just mind numbing with the continuous defense of Cherington no matter how poor his performance is.  I am beginning to believe that if his teams ended up in last place 10 consecutive years until 2031, then we would hear that in 2035, we will be good.

The Pirates, under Cherington, will escape last place before you get that hole-in-one you so desperately crave.
shedman

Post by shedman »

1B4D5B4F405A4A414C5B694E44484045074A290 wrote: Differences, Philosophy-Style

_______

It is just mind numbing with the continuous defense of Cherington no matter how poor his performance is.  I am beginning to believe that if his teams ended up in last place 10 consecutive years until 2031, then we would hear that in 2035, we will be good.

The Pirates, under Cherington, will escape last place before you get that hole-in-one you so desperately crave.
_________

You got me there.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The most telling part part that I don't get is how we can complain about what the manager does- often, multiple times/game- but that's not a direct reflection on the man who selected him for the position. That's mystifying.

Getting rid of Polanco, I'll accept. Adding Cole Tucker? That doesn;t boost my confidence the slightest. If Dilbert was a MLB player, he'd be wearing the Pirates uniform.

I'm not condeming the guy. It just reinforces my point that I don't see a significant difference between the status quo and life before it.