Re: Pirates Fire Eckstein

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

He was previously part of Clint Hurdles coaching staff, and since the team hitting has been sub par, the current FO decided to make a change. I am a little surprised they didn’t wait until after the season.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Don't forget Shelty is a former MLB hitting coach for the Guardians and the Rays.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Scapegoat.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

566374747F4674747F7874110 wrote: Scapegoat. 
How so? Because it's BC doing the chopping? I find it interesting how you say in one breath the guy does nothing, yet in the other criticize every move he makes.

Oh that's right, this is going to be a "BC can do no wrong" set up. We all know your troll calling card.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

576275757E4775757E7975100 wrote: Scapegoat. 

He's gone because BC didn't hire him. I wouldn't be surprised if Cora isn't next since he's the other holdover.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

444849121B121A17100F15220 wrote: He was previously part of Clint Hurdles coaching staff, and since the team hitting has been sub par, the current FO decided to make a change. I am a little surprised they didn’t wait until after the season.
The timing is certainly interesting. In releasing Polanco the Pirates stated they wanted to get more ABs for various players they needed to take a look at. Obviously, they did not want those players coached by Eckstein. A batting coach can only do so much if his players lack talent. But my guess is that they feel he wasn't doing enough of the less obvious things like the batters' approach at the plate, hitting to the opposite field, working the count, recognizing pitches, etc. If they feel like they aren't getting the most they can out of what they've got, even if the ceiling is low, then there's a problem.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: He was previously part of Clint Hurdles coaching staff, and since the team hitting has been sub par, the current FO decided to make a change. I am a little surprised they didn’t wait until after the season.
The timing is certainly interesting. In releasing Polanco the Pirates stated they wanted to get more ABs for various players they needed to take a look at. Obviously, they did not want those players coached by Eckstein. A batting coach can only do so much if his players lack talent. But my guess is that they feel he wasn't doing enough of the less obvious things like the batters' approach at the plate, hitting to the opposite field, working the count, recognizing pitches, etc. If they feel like they aren't getting the most they can out of what they've got, even if the ceiling is low, then there's a problem.
Actually I am surprised they didn't offer the job to doc!
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

614740555C50475159320 wrote: Scapegoat. 
How so? Because it's BC doing the chopping? I find it interesting how you say in one breath the guy does nothing, yet in the other criticize every move he makes.

Oh that's right, this is going to be a "BC can do no wrong" set up. We all know your troll calling card.

The only thing Cherington has to do with it is that he went into the season giving the guy n no power to work with.  The best hitter did well with Eckstein; not so well without him.

This was made to look like they're doing something. 

Going into the season, we had less chance than the Christians did against lions.  That's not on Eckstein.

Easier to fire the hitting coach than it is to fire the GM.

If you already know what I will write, then why bother to ask your questions?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

457067676C5567676C6B67020 wrote:

If you already know what I will write, then why bother to ask your questions?
For fun
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

For our sake, I sure hope that The Golden Boy does better with hiring the new and improved hitting coach than he did when he hired the manager and pitchiing coach.