Official Game Thread - 4/18 - Bucs @ Rockies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

This was the 8th straight game in which the Pirate starter went at least 6 innings. They're pitching effectively and without getting into high pitch counts by the 4th or 5th. Also, last year starters were being pulled by the 5th inning even when effective and on low pitch counts. So maybe DS/BC are getting smarter.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Raise it!
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

3365736768726269647341666C60686D2F62010 wrote: Velasquez dancing through trouble, but keeping the Rockies from scoring.  He needs a clean inning in the 5th.  Already over 70 pitches.

Velasquez has decent enough stuff to succeed if he can only avoid the blow up innings. Another quality start from the staff that most thought would be in shambles. It appears Sheltington put together a decent roster with more help on the way if needed. Curious how much more leash they give CSN before they move on to Andujar or Swaggerty.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

172B2D2B30392F36580 wrote: Velasquez dancing through trouble, but keeping the Rockies from scoring.  He needs a clean inning in the 5th.  Already over 70 pitches.

Velasquez has decent enough stuff to succeed if he can only avoid the blow up innings.  Another quality start from the staff that most thought would be in shambles.  It appears Sheltington put together a decent roster with more help on the way if needed.   Curious how much more leash they give CSN before they move on to Andujar or Swaggerty.

I was thinking the same thing about CSN. I am worried about his fielding. He just can't play RF or LF and his weak bat does not play anywhere. I bring up Swaggerty.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

065046525D47575C5146745359555D581A57340 wrote: Rockies wearing their Softball uniforms tonight

Well, MLB is adopting softball rules, so . . .

My bedroom tv is on the blink.  I will get to see them in the morning when I check the game highlights on the Official Website of the Bucs.  Block is always good at describing the other team's uniforms and if he was on a pitch clock he would have been unable to do it. :D :D :D :D

As ugly as they are, nothing is as bad as the abomination the Padres wear.  They look like they lost a paintball fight.
I kind of like the Rockies uniforms.  From a design viewpoint though the batting helmets are terrible.  Rule #1 is that you should be able to tell what it is supposed to be from across the room.

To me, the simpler the design, the better.  A classic, simple look stands the test of time and can look good in any era.  I know MLB is trying to make money, and selling uniforms is one way, but some things, like the traditional uniform, should just be left alone. 

Oh I totally agree most of the time. Less is more as they say. But I do think the mountain outline thing is kind of neat looking as a once-in-a-sometimes change, while still looking pretty clean.

I do like the traditional most of the time. I'm going to throw a grenade in here though and annoy a lot of people when I say I don't really like the '60 sleeveless.

My favorites all time are probably the old school 50s unis--however, we need to remember that those were at one point newfangled tradition-ruining changes too. :D
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I have a heart for the mountain look. I lived in Denver for five years when I was doing my seminary studies and really fell in love with the city. My brother and sister-in-law moved out there. I still consider Denver a second home.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7E4C40405466454C41444B4C2D0 wrote: Rockies wearing their Softball uniforms tonight

Well, MLB is adopting softball rules, so . . .

My bedroom tv is on the blink.  I will get to see them in the morning when I check the game highlights on the Official Website of the Bucs.  Block is always good at describing the other team's uniforms and if he was on a pitch clock he would have been unable to do it. :D :D :D :D

As ugly as they are, nothing is as bad as the abomination the Padres wear.  They look like they lost a paintball fight.
I kind of like the Rockies uniforms.  From a design viewpoint though the batting helmets are terrible.  Rule #1 is that you should be able to tell what it is supposed to be from across the room.

To me, the simpler the design, the better.  A classic, simple look stands the test of time and can look good in any era.  I know MLB is trying to make money, and selling uniforms is one way, but some things, like the traditional uniform, should just be left alone. 

Oh I totally agree most of the time.  Less is more as they say.  But I do think the mountain outline thing is kind of neat looking as a once-in-a-sometimes change, while still looking pretty clean. 

I do like the traditional most of the time. I'm going to throw a grenade in here though and annoy a lot of people when I say I don't really like the '60 sleeveless. 

My favorites all time are probably the old school 50s unis--however, we need to remember that those were at one point newfangled tradition-ruining changes too.  :D

Sammy, I loved the ‘60s vest uniforms, but those were the first uniforms I remember as a kid, and what the Bucs wore during the Series. It’s a nostalgia thing.

Some of the old-time uniforms from even the 1920s and ‘30s are really beautiful. Those are the alternate unis I’d like to see teams wear.