John Jaso...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Wrathchild

John Jaso...

Post by Wrathchild »

0A2D3C383D201F2B3C3D3D20590 wrote: Jaso is just slumping at the wrong time.  He should have value if the Pirates want to trade him.  His track record is as good as Joyce's and he has another year at a reasonable rate.  He's not DFA material. He should be able to get a similarly-controlled bullpen piece or decent prospect.  Teams may be waiting the Pirates out because they appear to have some surplus parts.  I'd keep playing him as long as Bell is in AAA. The problem is Bell should already be up here and in the lineup everyday and he's not. That's what frustrates me about the Pirates is they are in a pretty tight race and still have a very good shot I think to make the playoffs, and they just continue to play around day after day and week after week and not have their best players on the 25 man roster. People will say it's only the 2nd wildcard, but it's still a chance to make the playoffs and you have to take it seriously and still cant afford to take it for granted. And the Pirates based on a lot of these moves just don't seem to show enough urgency in getting stuff done like this.

Year, I hear you. One thing we haven't seen is his glove at first. Maybe the Pirates don't think that's ready yet. Bell certainly looks ready offensively and I wouldn't mind them committing to him at all. I would like to maximize Jaso's value, though, so as long as they are willing to send Bell back to AA, I'd prefer that they just play him as they had before the break. He was pretty good prior to his slump and he keep Polanco from batting leadoff which I don't like very much.
DemDog

John Jaso...

Post by DemDog »

Hey Freddy you have me laughing like crazy right now. Why you might ask? Well your love for Josh Bell and your incessant rooting and calling for him to be up with the Buccos reminds me of an old poster who did a similar thing.

The Animal, who back in the losing days had a thing for Abe Nunez at SS over Jack Wilson. This guy just would not leave it alone. Finally got himself banned over it and few other things he did.

Don't get me wrong, you are not about to be banned. And your calling for Bell to be up here is a good thing because Bell is most likely better than Jaso with the bat and somewhat more versatile since he can play the OF as well as 1B. I do hope you get your wish sometime this year my friend. He deserves it.
SteadyFreddy

John Jaso...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

040F070B0E0F145157201901080F0F4E030F600 wrote: I don't think the Pirates don't care.  Huntington said they would be buyers too.  So, they will go for it.

But it is also a business.  You don't just give away assets if you can use them.  I don't see the Pirates just cutting Jaso and moving on.  His value might not be great, but he has some.  It takes time to make trades.  Huntington has done well the last few years at the deadline.  I have hope that he does it again this year too. I am going to give the Pirates until the deadline after August 1st which is 11 days for now to either DFA or trade Locke or Niese, and replace one or both of them with Glasnow or Kuhl for the remainder of the season. Also, I will give them until then to try and trade Jaso as well for whatever you can so that you can get Josh Bell up here on this roster playing 3 or 4 times a week and in the lineup in Jaso's spot on the roster.

Yes trades do take time and things need to be sorted out but the Pirates have known for awhile now that both Glasnow and Bell would probably both be in the Majors by the end of July. If they do care about winning and making the team better for the last 2 months of the season so they can make a push for a playoff spot both of these moves will be done in the next 11 days.

Come August 1st both Locke and Jaso should no longer be Pirates end of story. They have more then enough time to try and either trade them or worst case scenario DFA them in favor of getting both Glasnow and Bell on the 25 man roster.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

John Jaso...

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I agree. I think you will see your changes come August 1st.

I didn't think Glasnow would be up this early, but it is a possibility. I didn't think Bell would be up this early either because of Jaso and Freese playing well and the investment in Jaso. But that has changed due to Jaso's play.

I still think they will bring in a Starting Pitcher and a Bullpen arm too.
Quail

John Jaso...

Post by Quail »

162428283C0E2D24292C2324450 wrote:

Joyce would probably have a greater return, but Joyce is better for the Pirates too.  I would rather have Joyce on the bench than Jaso if I had to choose.

But would you rather have Joyce on the bench or a better bullpen crew?  That's what I would want in return, and the choice I'd suggest.  I think I'd rather sell high on Joyce.

Getting rid of Jaso makes trading Joyce for a bullpen upgrade (your choice) more likely. If Bell replaces Jaso then he can be take the 5th outfield spot as well as part-time first base duties which frees up a possible trade of Joyce.

There is simply no good reason for the Pirates to keep Jaso with Bell available.
Wrathchild

John Jaso...

Post by Wrathchild »

This is not just about Bell versus Jaso, though. If the switch-hitting Bell comes up, the value of Kang/Freese goes down as well. The Pirates aren't going to bring him up to sit him against left-handed pitching. It's really not a foregone conclusion that Bell make the team that much better unless trades are made involving our other corners infielders.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

John Jaso...

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

123724312D262D2C2921450 wrote: This is not just about Bell versus Jaso, though.  If the switch-hitting Bell comes up, the value of Kang/Freese goes down as well.  The Pirates aren't going to bring him up to sit him against left-handed pitching.  It's really not a foregone conclusion that Bell make the team that much better unless trades are made involving our other corners infielders.

I somewhat agree.

Kang still isn't playing every day. Freese plays third. Bringing Bell up can also put him in better game situations. He would still play/start 4 times a week.
Quail

John Jaso...

Post by Quail »

6A4F5C49555E555451593D0 wrote: This is not just about Bell versus Jaso, though.  If the switch-hitting Bell comes up, the value of Kang/Freese goes down as well.  The Pirates aren't going to bring him up to sit him against left-handed pitching.  It's really not a foregone conclusion that Bell make the team that much better unless trades are made involving our other corners infielders.

We can only speculate how Hurdle will use Bell if he replaces Jaso. All I'm saying is that the Pirates are in playoff race and Bell is a better player than Jaso. How Freese, Kang and Bell are utilized can be determined by who is hot. The value of Kang and Freese will be determined by Kang and Freese, not Bell. Has anyone noticed that since the AS break Hurdle has benched Jaso twice against right-handed starting pitchers? Freese is playing 1B more because he's the better player even with the splits.
Wrathchild

John Jaso...

Post by Wrathchild »

0E2A3E36335F0 wrote: This is not just about Bell versus Jaso, though.  If the switch-hitting Bell comes up, the value of Kang/Freese goes down as well.  The Pirates aren't going to bring him up to sit him against left-handed pitching.  It's really not a foregone conclusion that Bell make the team that much better unless trades are made involving our other corners infielders.

We can only speculate how Hurdle will use Bell if he replaces Jaso. All I'm saying is that the Pirates are in playoff race and Bell is a better player than Jaso. How Freese, Kang and Bell are utilized can be determined by who is hot. The value of Kang and Freese will be determined by Kang and Freese, not Bell. Has anyone noticed that since the AS break Hurdle has benched Jaso twice against right-handed starting pitchers? Freese is playing 1B more because he's the better player even with the splits.

Yeah, I have noticed that and I found it odd. I thought the Pirates were sending Bell down to tell the world that they weren't going to give away Jaso but apparently they just don't think Bell gives the Pirates the best chance. Much of the argument here is predicated upon the notion that the Pirates just don't want to put their best team on the field and that's a notion I just don't believe. But, if they do bring up Bell, it will be to start I believe. It will create a logjam with corner infielders affecting their usefulness and value. I think that's why he's not here.
dmetz

John Jaso...

Post by dmetz »

61465753564B74405756564B320 wrote:

Joyce would probably have a greater return, but Joyce is better for the Pirates too.  I would rather have Joyce on the bench than Jaso if I had to choose.

But would you rather have Joyce on the bench or a better bullpen crew?  That's what I would want in return, and the choice I'd suggest.  I think I'd rather sell high on Joyce. We really don't need bullpen help at this point. We have Watson who is one of the best lefty set-up men in baseball, and Melancon who is one of the best closers in all of baseball. Plus, you have Feliz as well who is a very good 7th inning guy and can close games as well if need be. Who could we get in the bullpen in a trade that would be better then those guys for Joyce?? I don't see it. The problem with the Pirates right now is their starting pitching not their bullpen. And you aren't going to get a quality starting pitcher at this point unless you give up a ton in a trade. That's why you need to just got with the young guys and take your chances.

Disagree. Feliz is having a decent year . Melancon is sputtering Hughes and caminero are time bombs, both of whom couldnt get anyone out a short time ago. Nicasio hasnt been great.

The pen is stronger now than a few weeks ago, but is hardly strong.   Improving over Hughes and caminero should be easy