Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Quintana

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

190420222C490 wrote: Four years of control of Quintana at: 2017- 6 million; 2018- $8.8 million; Options for 2019 and 2010 at $10.5 million with a buyout at $ 1 million for each year. I might give up Glasnow and  another top 10  prospect, plus a lesser prospect   but not Keller or Meadows.  Glasnow command issues might take 2-3 years to sort out and you might only have 3-4 years of good pitching under control. 4 years of Quintana with an average WAR of 4 seems like a good guess for his projection.

That's a solid line of thinking.  I think Glasnow can be really productive right now.  His command issues have been the same all through the minors.  They haven't kept him from being dominant.  There has been an adjustment period at each level.  I think we will know a lot more about him by midseason.  I just think now is the complete wrong time to trade him.  His value is too low.  By the end of next year, he could have the value of a DeGrom or Syndergaard.

If necessary I would trade Glasnow, but I would also prefer Marte who should be pretty close to a 1 for 1 deal. Sox might not think so, but I gotta believe Marte has very high value for the right teams. This has got 3 team deal all over it.

This would be a dynamite acquisition for the Pirates especially considering the team friendly contract. The Pirates could perhaps do a 2 year deal with Nova as well - then Mr. Nutting can be both the hero and have the last laugh.

If Neal could pull this off everything changes for 2017.
rucker59@gmail.com

Quintana

6C7C7D4A5C5C503F0 wrote: Four years of control of Quintana at: 2017- 6 million; 2018- $8.8 million; Options for 2019 and 2010 at $10.5 million with a buyout at $ 1 million for each year. I might give up Glasnow and  another top 10  prospect, plus a lesser prospect   but not Keller or Meadows.  Glasnow command issues might take 2-3 years to sort out and you might only have 3-4 years of good pitching under control. 4 years of Quintana with an average WAR of 4 seems like a good guess for his projection.

If you take a look at what Chicago has landed in the Sale and the Eaton deals, this one won't be Glasnow and another top 10 guy that isn't highly thought of.  It would be another significant piece, like a Meadows.  Chicago knows we are very very desperate and will use that to get everything possible.

We might have a great need, but I don't think the Pirates will be desperate; other than Lariano I don't remember the Pirates making lopsided moves.
Ecbucs

Quintana

Post by Ecbucs »

Glad Bucs are discussing him. Three top pitchers for next 3 or 4 years puts Bucs in position of having a strong staff every year. I would trade any three prospects for him but Meadows would be the one I would want to avoid losing.

We do have some pitching prospects and infield prospects but are weak in outfielders at this point. I want to keep Meadows for when Cutch leaves.

If they insist on Meadows than I wouldn't want to include both Glasnow and Keller.
Tintin

Quintana

Post by Tintin »

I like this guy, but I don't give up Meadows for him.

Glasnow, yes, Bell yes, but not Meadows.
notes34

Quintana

Post by notes34 »

I don't include Marte. No way for me that is a deal breaker. I would trade Meadows before I part with Marte.
MaineBucs

Quintana

Post by MaineBucs »

I hate dealing top prospects, but the ability to keep a pitcher of Quintana's caliber for 4 years at very reasonable money likely makes it worth it.

In looking at the current prospects, I likely line up with Tim Wililams at PP2 regarding who I would center the deal around. I believe the Bucs should hold onto both Meadows and Keller, which means the top prospects that could go to the Sox would be Glasnow and Bell (and it really stings to think of Bell's sweet bat playing for another team). And, I also recognize that the Bucs would need to add more prospect talent to the deal. Hopefully someone short of Newman.

Regardless, it's good to hear that the Bucs are making a push for Quintana.
OrlandoMerced

Quintana

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think what sucks is that the Nats are a loser organization and valued Eaton over McCutchen.  I think it is likely that the White Sox would have accepted the package they got for Eaton to trade Quintana.  So they could have done - McCutchen to Nats, Quintana to Pirates, Lopez and Giolito to White Sox.

I just saw that move by the Nats as a cowardly move, they might have had some discomfort moving top prospects for Cutch because of his down year, but adding McCutchen to your lineup would offer significantly more upside than plopping Eaton in as table setter. He was the safe pick up, controllable, younger, higher floor, but low ceiling. McCutchen showed his floor last year, it was bad, but he's not going to repeat that.

rucker59@gmail.com

Quintana

466A62656E497E68780B0 wrote: I hate dealing top prospects, but the ability to keep a pitcher of Quintana's caliber for 4 years at very reasonable money likely makes it worth it.

In looking at the current prospects, I likely line up with Tim Wililams at PP2 regarding who I would center the deal around.  I believe the Bucs should hold onto both Meadows and Keller, which means the top prospects that could go to the Sox would be Glasnow and Bell (and it really stings to think of Bell's sweet bat playing for another team)......  

Might sound crazy, but I'd rather move Marte and keep Bell. I value Bell's bat more than I value Marte's 5 tools. But more than that, Marte's value should be sufficient that we keep a couple prospects that would other wise have to be included.

Marte is our most valuable "chip", but he's not the most valuable player on the team.
rucker59@gmail.com

Quintana

38392233256562560 wrote: I don't include Marte. No way for me that is a deal breaker. I would trade Meadows before I part with Marte.

Neal's going to have a hard time making all of us happy. :)

(See my post immediately above).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I agree with you about Marte being the most valuable chip. I like Quintana, but do you use Marte for Quintana knowing he is the most valuable chip?

Where do you rank Quintana as a pitcher? Marte is probably the top LF and in the discussion of top CF assuming he is going there this year.