John Jaso...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

John Jaso...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

How quickly we give up on people!

Not that moving Jaso would totally upset me, but if we're going to trade only one of our "new" guys to clear a spot I think it'd be Matt Joyce, who might still actually fetch a return. I've always kind of followed him (had him in a fantasy team at one point) but who thinks he'll continue to hit like he is?
SteadyFreddy

John Jaso...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

55676B6B7F4D6E676A6F6067060 wrote: How quickly we give up on people!

Not that moving Jaso would totally upset me, but if we're going to trade only one of our "new" guys to clear a spot I think it'd be Matt Joyce, who might still actually fetch a return.  I've always kind of followed him (had him in a fantasy team at one point) but who thinks he'll continue to hit like he is? Because getting rid of Joyce wouldn't make the Pirates a better team that's why. He hits better then Jaso, and can play two outfield positions and has a better overall track record then a guy like Jaso does. I'm not in favor of dumping good players that can help the Pirates in the middle of a playoff race. Joyce is a good player and Jaso isn't. Having Bell and Jaso both on the roster over Bell and Joyce if you get rid of Joyce doesn't make the Pirates a better overall team.
SammyKhalifa

John Jaso...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

31160703061B24100706061B620 wrote: How quickly we give up on people!

Not that moving Jaso would totally upset me, but if we're going to trade only one of our "new" guys to clear a spot I think it'd be Matt Joyce, who might still actually fetch a return.  I've always kind of followed him (had him in a fantasy team at one point) but who thinks he'll continue to hit like he is? Because getting rid of Joyce wouldn't make the Pirates a better team that's why. He hits better then Jaso, and can play two outfield positions and has a better overall track record then a guy like Jaso does. I'm not in favor of dumping good players that can help the Pirates in the middle of a playoff race. Joyce is a good player and Jaso isn't. Having Bell and Jaso both on the roster over Bell and Joyce if you get rid of Joyce doesn't make the Pirates a better overall team.

Only because he hasn't slumped yet.

What do we need more, a good 5th OF or a good bullpen? Yeah, I think that WOULD make us a better overall team. If you're just looking to get rid of a guy that's one thing but I'm not there yet. I'd rather get a return if I'm moving someone.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

John Jaso...

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Jaso would be a salary dump. His replacement is Bell.

Joyce would probably have a greater return, but Joyce is better for the Pirates too. I would rather have Joyce on the bench than Jaso if I had to choose.
SammyKhalifa

John Jaso...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6B60686461607B3E384F766E676060216C600F0 wrote:

Joyce would probably have a greater return, but Joyce is better for the Pirates too.  I would rather have Joyce on the bench than Jaso if I had to choose.

But would you rather have Joyce on the bench or a better bullpen crew?  That's what I would want in return, and the choice I'd suggest. I think I'd rather sell high on Joyce.
SteadyFreddy

John Jaso...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

0B3935352113303934313E39580 wrote:

Joyce would probably have a greater return, but Joyce is better for the Pirates too.  I would rather have Joyce on the bench than Jaso if I had to choose.

But would you rather have Joyce on the bench or a better bullpen crew?  That's what I would want in return, and the choice I'd suggest.  I think I'd rather sell high on Joyce. We really don't need bullpen help at this point. We have Watson who is one of the best lefty set-up men in baseball, and Melancon who is one of the best closers in all of baseball. Plus, you have Feliz as well who is a very good 7th inning guy and can close games as well if need be. Who could we get in the bullpen in a trade that would be better then those guys for Joyce?? I don't see it. The problem with the Pirates right now is their starting pitching not their bullpen. And you aren't going to get a quality starting pitcher at this point unless you give up a ton in a trade. That's why you need to just got with the young guys and take your chances.
ArnoldRothstein

John Jaso...

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Joyce seems like a pretty good fit for what he's doing right now, and Jaso not so good. Unless there's an injury so we can DL someone I'd try to move Jaso with the other team picking up as much salary as possible
Wrathchild

John Jaso...

Post by Wrathchild »

Jaso is just slumping at the wrong time. He should have value if the Pirates want to trade him. His track record is as good as Joyce's and he has another year at a reasonable rate. He's not DFA material. He should be able to get a similarly-controlled bullpen piece or decent prospect. Teams may be waiting the Pirates out because they appear to have some surplus parts. I'd keep playing him as long as Bell is in AAA.
SteadyFreddy

John Jaso...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

123724312D262D2C2921450 wrote: Jaso is just slumping at the wrong time.  He should have value if the Pirates want to trade him.  His track record is as good as Joyce's and he has another year at a reasonable rate.  He's not DFA material. He should be able to get a similarly-controlled bullpen piece or decent prospect.  Teams may be waiting the Pirates out because they appear to have some surplus parts.  I'd keep playing him as long as Bell is in AAA. The problem is Bell should already be up here and in the lineup everyday and he's not. That's what frustrates me about the Pirates is they are in a pretty tight race and still have a very good shot I think to make the playoffs, and they just continue to play around day after day and week after week and not have their best players on the 25 man roster. You can say the same thing about the pitching staff too as they continued to pitch guys like Locke and Niese over better younger options. And what happens as a result of that you lost games you cant get back in a tight race.

People will say it's only the 2nd wildcard, but it's still a chance to make the playoffs and you have to take it seriously and still cant afford to take it for granted. And the Pirates based on a lot of these moves just don't seem to show enough urgency in getting stuff done like this and it's extremely annoying.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

John Jaso...

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't think the Pirates don't care. Huntington said they would be buyers too. So, they will go for it.

But it is also a business. You don't just give away assets if you can use them. I don't see the Pirates just cutting Jaso and moving on. His value might not be great, but he has some. It takes time to make trades. Huntington has done well the last few years at the deadline. I have hope that he does it again this year too.