Hurdle fired

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Hurdle fired

Post by BenM »

Blass sounds like he is totally overwhelmed.
WiffleballHero

Hurdle fired

Post by WiffleballHero »

I can't believe they fired Hurdle. Despite all that has gone on this year and this being three years overdue, I still can't believe it.
rucker59@gmail.com

Hurdle fired

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

And Neal is retained.
rucker59@gmail.com

Hurdle fired

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

71434F4F5B694A434E4B4443220 wrote: I don't get it.  I thought nutting wouldn't fire him and be stuck paying that contract.  Everyone said so.   ::)

I'll have good memories of what he did but it was time.  It wasn't even the record as much as the locker fights, etc.

Not everyone.

Is Nutting still do a presser tomorrow.
notes34

Hurdle fired

Post by notes34 »

IMO this was a classless move to fire him on game 162 and upstage Blass.
skinnyhorse

Hurdle fired

Post by skinnyhorse »

59676868626B6C6F6262466B7C610E0 wrote: I can't believe they fired Hurdle.  Despite all that has gone on this year and this being three years overdue, I still can't believe it.
I agree he should have been gone 3 years ago and this disastrous season might have been avoided. I want to see a younger more proactive manager who has deep baseball knowledge. Most of all he must have a burning desire to win. He must be able to evaluate talent and put the best team on the field. He must know how to match his players to the team they are playing. He should not worry about individual stats but team performance.
Bobster21

Hurdle fired

Post by Bobster21 »

Blass said he was allowed to address the team in the clubhouse before the game to say goodbye after which Hurdle asked him to excuse them so that he could talk to the players. Hurdle then informed the players that he had been fired. I'm trying to understand why the firing was handled this way (prior to game 162). My guess (the only thing I can come up with) is that NH/Nutting wanted to give Hurdle the opportunity to say goodbye to the players rather than having them begin to disperse after the game before he could address them. Otherwise they would have had to tell him prior to the game that he was to be fired after the game so that he knew to address the team after the game. Which would have required him to manage the game after being told he was being fired. Since he had told reporters a few days ago that he was coming back next year the players would have been very confused if they had left the park after the game only to hear that Hurdle was fired. I can't see any other scenario where this makes sense. As inept as Pirates mgt often seems to be, they don't seem mean spirited despite what now looks like a classless move.
dmetz

Hurdle fired

Post by dmetz »

and NH??? he cannot possibly be retained, come on ;D

The correct decision would be to fire everyone. Neal, Frank, Clint. Get new leadership with their people, and let them take a shot at drafting and developing.

LumberCo

Hurdle fired

Post by LumberCo »

Nutting is still the owner and refuses to pay an average payroll by league standards. until he allows a real payroll no manager that is worth a hill of beans will want to manage this team with there arms tied behind there backs. they will hire some "project" manager and the slide to total crap will continue. feel sorry for the young players will be gone in a couple years. not sure why a player would want to play here? sorry if some don't like this, it's just how I feel. HATE the owner. he is the root of all my pirates misery!
Ecbucs

Hurdle fired

Post by Ecbucs »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: Blass said he was allowed to address the team in the clubhouse before the game to say goodbye after which Hurdle asked him to excuse them so that he could talk to the players. Hurdle then informed the players that he had been fired. I'm trying to understand why the firing was handled this way (prior to game 162). My guess (the only thing I can come up with) is that NH/Nutting wanted to give Hurdle the opportunity to say goodbye to the players rather than having them begin to disperse after the game before he could address them. Otherwise they would have had to tell him prior to the game that he was to be fired after the game so that he knew to address the team after the game. Which would have required him to manage the game after being told he was being fired. Since he had told reporters a few days ago that he was coming back next year the players would have been very confused if they had left the park after the game only to hear that Hurdle was fired. I can't see any other scenario where this makes sense. As inept as Pirates mgt often seems to be, they don't seem mean spirited despite what now looks like a classless move.

I don't really understand the part about not being able to address the players after the game.

Why not just tell them to stay for a short meeting after the game?