WildwoodDave2

Game Thread - 8/30 - Bucs @ Brewers

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Doc's favorite Brewer ( K.Wong) goes deep and puts the

Brewers up 2-1
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

486E6F786E7E0D0 wrote: I’m wondering if the plan is to bat Cruz first the rest of the season in order to get additional at bats.  Leyland did that with Bonds when he first arrived.  Cruz certainly isn’t a lead-off hitter but it would afford him many more opportunities than if he was hitting fifth or lower.  The emphasis for the next five to six weeks should be to get the young guys more opportunities in order for them to be better prepared for 2023.

With the way Hayes hits the ball to right field, I’d rather see him hitting right behind Cruz if Oneil reaches first base.  But if I had my druthers, I’d rather have Marcano in the first or second spot.

Reynolds is the team’s best hitter.  He needs to bat third all the time.

I think Cruz at leadoff is a good idea, at least against right handers.  We'll see what happens, I wouldn't bet it was the Pirates plan.

Against RHPs Cruz is hitting .207 with a .267 OBP. Even worse vs LHP.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Thank goodness, Renfroe made the last out of the inning. This means when Wong homers to lead-off the next inning, it’ll only be a solo home run.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6C414C5D5A4B5C1C1F2E0 wrote: I’m wondering if the plan is to bat Cruz first the rest of the season in order to get additional at bats.  Leyland did that with Bonds when he first arrived.  Cruz certainly isn’t a lead-off hitter but it would afford him many more opportunities than if he was hitting fifth or lower.  The emphasis for the next five to six weeks should be to get the young guys more opportunities in order for them to be better prepared for 2023.

With the way Hayes hits the ball to right field, I’d rather see him hitting right behind Cruz if Oneil reaches first base.  But if I had my druthers, I’d rather have Marcano in the first or second spot.

Reynolds is the team’s best hitter.  He needs to bat third all the time.

I think Cruz at leadoff is a good idea, at least against right handers.  We'll see what happens, I wouldn't bet it was the Pirates plan.

Against RHPs Cruz is hitting .207 with a .267 OBP. Even worse vs LHP.
yeah, I wouldn't want him leading off any games this season if the team was trying to win. If it is to get him a few more at bats it could work. Reynolds is about the only hitter on the team that wouldn't be hitting 7th, 8th or 9th on most teams.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

ending game with a double play. Way to go Bucs. Raise it!
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

THAT was not a DP ball. Amazing turn by Castro and Cruz's gun of an arm. WOW!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Several of the youngsters have shown they have the talent to play in the big leagues. Now they have to show they can do it more consistently. Except for the bullpen mistakes in the 8th and 9th innings on Monday, the last three games have been very encouraging.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Keller was stellar. It also should make doc very

happy that the bucs have beaten the Brewers 6

out of the last 7 and if the Brewers don't make the

playoffs, the Pirates will have had a lot to do with it
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Keller was coming off 2 very poor outings so it was nice to see him turn it around.
2drfischer@gmail.c

7846434B5840404B6B4E594A1D2F0 wrote: Keller was stellar. It also should make doc very

happy that  the bucs have beaten the Brewers 6

out of the last 7 and if the Brewers don't make the

playoffs, the Pirates will have had a lot to do with it

It would make me very happy if the Pirates wins over Milwaukee caused the Brewers to miss the playoffs.