What could have been

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

What could have been

Post by Surgnbuck »

Johnny Cash, there's a guy who can unite. Loved by rock and rollers. Loved by country bumpkins. Loved by veterans. Loved by criminals. Heck, his last label I believe was with one of the top rap/hip hop artists, and said Cash was well respected in their circles because he was an original gangster.

Loved having some Pirates over the last few years who had Johnny Cash walk up songs.
DemDog

What could have been

Post by DemDog »

I have learned to like Johnny Cash thanks to the bride, but do like Willie Nelson & the late Waylon Jennings much better.
GreenWeenie

What could have been

Post by GreenWeenie »

785E594C45495E48402B0 wrote: Mrs. Possum would love that post.  You see her favorite singer is "The Man In Black"!  When I am up early in the morning and she is sleeping in I often wake her with a song from Johnny Cash and she comes a running to give me a big hug & a smooch!   :D :D
Don't play Cocaine Blues to her though :-X :-X :-X :-X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq344ks1ieg

Lay off that whiskey and let those PIRATES be! ;))))
SCBucco

What could have been

Post by SCBucco »

4C696A6A7F5469616374060 wrote: Cole, Morton, Glasnow, Baz

That’s a pretty dominant rotation

If only we had an owner that would spend and a worthy Player Development Staff.

I really don't think Glasnow would have developed into what he is now if he stayed.
BellevueBuc

What could have been

Post by BellevueBuc »

2D21207B727B737E79667C4B0 wrote: Even without Nutting as owner I doubt Pittsburgh could have kept Cole with the contract he got from the Yankees. Morton just found new life when he joined Houston. Even the Phils gave up on him. Baz and Glasnow would sure have looked good in the Bucs rotation if they never  had made the Archer trade.

All 4 pitchers would have had issues staying in Pittsburgh because Ray Searage was their coach. None would have reached the success they did outside of Pittsburgh until he was fired, which would have been too late for at least 3 of the 4.
GreenWeenie

What could have been

Post by GreenWeenie »

Some of that we can't be sure of.

One thing like that's crystal clear: No one can hold the Pirates in a negative light re Cole leaving.

That's not to bash Cole or the Pirates.

Why not?

Because the Houston Astros couldn't keep Cole, either. Houston is one of the largest of US cities and markets, and the Astros spend money.

Cole's favorite team as a kid was the Yankees, and that's who he wanted to pitch for, cut and dry.

In Pittsburgh, in Houston, Cole could have owned the towns. In NYC, he blends in with more celebrities. Yet, that's where he wanted to go from Day1. He would have left 29 clubs to get to lthat one.

So, what could have been....couldn't.

Pass to BOB. Pass to NH on that.

Bobster21

What could have been

Post by Bobster21 »

01262F2F26353626013620430 wrote: Even without Nutting as owner I doubt Pittsburgh could have kept Cole with the contract he got from the Yankees. Morton just found new life when he joined Houston. Even the Phils gave up on him. Baz and Glasnow would sure have looked good in the Bucs rotation if they never  had made the Archer trade.

All 4 pitchers would have had issues staying in Pittsburgh because Ray Searage was their coach. None would have reached the success they did outside of Pittsburgh until he was fired, which would have been too late for at least 3 of the 4.

I agree. Cole was even regressing for 2 years after his only outstanding season as a Pirate (2015). It's ironic that Pirate fans always credited Searage when pitchers like Burnett, Liriano, Vazquez and Happ suddenly got better as Pirates but when pitchers left the Pirates and got better with a new team it is assumed the improvement was going to happen regardless and therefore they should have been kept.