Future payroll

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Future payroll

Post by shedman »

0355435758425259544371565C50585D1F52310 wrote: The highest paid players left on the team are Moran, Kuhl, Brault, and Stallings.  If Cherington can salary dump these 4 guys and replace them with LMG's, he could save BOB another $5 million.

Of those players, I can see Moran being dealt either in the offseason or before the Deadline, not because of his salary, but because BC likely thinks he can find someone better.  He just hasn’t produced enough.
_______

Yeah, I know.  Moran isn't that good.  For that matter, neither is Kuhl, Brault, and Stallings.  So, lets salary dump all of them and replace them with LMG's.  Polanco redux.  Get rid of Polanco and call up Tucker.

So you’d rather have a bad player only because he’s paid more, which has nothing to do with his current ability?

______

I would rather have those guys than 4 more LMG's. Instead, we should be replacing LMG's with major league ball players.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Future payroll

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

3F242928212D224C0 wrote: The highest paid players left on the team are Moran, Kuhl, Brault, and Stallings.  If Cherington can salary dump these 4 guys and replace them with LMG's, he could save BOB another $5 million.

Of those players, I can see Moran being dealt either in the offseason or before the Deadline, not because of his salary, but because BC likely thinks he can find someone better.  He just hasn’t produced enough.
_______

Yeah, I know.  Moran isn't that good.  For that matter, neither is Kuhl, Brault, and Stallings.  So, lets salary dump all of them and replace them with LMG's.  Polanco redux.  Get rid of Polanco and call up Tucker.

So you’d rather have a bad player only because he’s paid more, which has nothing to do with his current ability?

______

I would rather have those guys than 4 more LMG's.  Instead, we should be replacing LMG's with major league ball players.

Even if the major league ball players have proven they’re not very good? Wouldn’t you want the best possible player at each position, even if those players are LMGs?
shedman

Future payroll

Post by shedman »

7F293F2B243E2E25283F0D2A202C2421632E4D0 wrote: The highest paid players left on the team are Moran, Kuhl, Brault, and Stallings.  If Cherington can salary dump these 4 guys and replace them with LMG's, he could save BOB another $5 million.

_______

______

I would rather have those guys than 4 more LMG's.  Instead, we should be replacing LMG's with major league ball players.

Even if the major league ball players have proven they’re not very good?  Wouldn’t you want the best possible player at each position, even if those players are LMGs?

_______

Cole Tucker replaced Polanco. Tucker is NOT better than Polanco.
GreenWeenie

Future payroll

Post by GreenWeenie »

6B6E696F676D746960737578010 wrote: Pirates season ending payroll in 2015 was $95M, which was 24th out of the 30 teams.  My question is willing to the high again? Will it go a little higher?  And if it does will that be enough?

I don't understand some of what you wrote, so I'll answer the last question.

It all depends on a person's expectations. 

Will payroll be "enough" to satisfy some fans' expectations of the team?  Yes, provided that they don't expect the team to advance far in post-season play.  Some fans might not expect the team to do well next year.

Will payroll be "enough" to field a roster capable of winning the World Series?  Of course not.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Future payroll

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

455E53525B5758360 wrote: The highest paid players left on the team are Moran, Kuhl, Brault, and Stallings.  If Cherington can salary dump these 4 guys and replace them with LMG's, he could save BOB another $5 million.

_______

______

Even if the major league ball players have proven they’re not very good?  Wouldn’t you want the best possible player at each position, even if those players are LMGs?

_______

Cole Tucker replaced Polanco.  Tucker is NOT better than Polanco.

Actually, he hasn't. Tucker has started three games in RF since he was recalled. He took Polanco's place on the roster but he didn't replace him in RF.
Surgnbuck

Future payroll

Post by Surgnbuck »

434641474F455C41485B5D50290 wrote: Pirates season ending payroll in 2015 was $95M, which was 24th out of the 30 teams.  My question is willing to the high again? Will it go a little higher?  And if it does will that be enough?

I really think the CBA, whenever that's reached, will be the deciding factor. If the next one is pretty much status quo as far as the arbitration process goes, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

They have 12 arbitration eligible players this offseason, 19 in 2023, 15 in 2024. Most of the remaining 40 will be filled with prospects.

This team is incredibly cost controlled for years to come. In two years, they might look like they're playing with a 1924 budget compared to all the other teams.

Ecbucs

Future payroll

Post by Ecbucs »

222720262E243D20293A3C31480 wrote: Pirates season ending payroll in 2015 was $95M, which was 24th out of the 30 teams.  My question is willing to the high again? Will it go a little higher?  And if it does will that be enough?

when you say high, do you mean $95 million or rank 24th?

I think they will definitely go over $100 million sometime.  Not sure if there will ever be more than 3 or 4 teams with lower payrolls.

johnfluharty

Future payroll

Post by johnfluharty »

Either by rank or by money. Interestingly enough, right now $95M would put them at 17th. Is that because there's a separation starting between the haves and have nots or is it due to more of a recent tendency for teams to try and intentionally tank. The Rays have proved you can compete and go to the playoffs with a low payroll, but I'm not sure our front office is good enough to replicate that success.
GreenWeenie

Future payroll

Post by GreenWeenie »

6C696E68606A736E6774727F060 wrote: Either by rank or by money.  Interestingly enough, right now $95M would put them at 17th.  Is that because there's a separation starting between the haves and have nots or is it due to more of a recent tendency for teams to try and intentionally tank.  The Rays have proved you can compete and go to the playoffs with a low payroll, but I'm not sure our front office is good enough to replicate that success.

SportTrak shows that 95m puts a team near 20th, give or take.

Fans equate Payroll with Overall Team Talent. That's not the case. It's more closely tied to Overall MLB experience. The more MLB years a guy has, the more they're paid. Of course, Results help to keep them in the game and raises it even more.

Looking at the 21st - 30th clubs- just eyeballing them- most have lesser tenured players than the higher payroll clubs.
WildwoodDave2

Future payroll

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

465D505158545B350 wrote: The highest paid players left on the team are Moran, Kuhl, Brault, and Stallings.  If Cherington can salary dump these 4 guys and replace them with LMG's, he could save BOB another $5 million.

_______

______

_______

Cole Tucker replaced Polanco.  Tucker is NOT better than Polanco.
He can run faster