Source: Pirates talked to Yankees about Eovaldi

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

1D3C341D363E590 wrote: I'm not overwhelmed by getting Evoaldi.  One really nice year in 2015 but so-so every other year.  Don't see him as an improvement over the guys we have now and the kids that are arriving. 

He has been killed by the longballs this year. He would easily be an improvement over Locke, Liriano, Niese and Nicasio.

If the Yankees really would take Williams for him, I hope they make that move soon.

I think it would be worth seeing what the Pirates can do with his mechanics to add some movement to that fastball. If all you give up is a depth starting option, go for it.
NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

79707869671D0 wrote: His strikeout numbers are pedestrian, and he gives up a ton of hits.

He may throw gas, but it must be straight as an arrow.    Something doesn't add up

That's exactly it. He has no plus second ( much less third pitch).

You're right according to fangraphs pitch values.   Eovaldi has a good fastball, an average at best slider, and a changeup so bad he shouldn't even be throwing it.

I was told that a pitcher with two PLUS pitches wasnt good enough to be in the rotation at this time until the 3rd pitch was developed.   Surely our interest in Eovaldi is some kind of mistake or gimmick

Interesting. maybe they want him as a relief pitcher? With a 99MPH pitch and a decent slider he might be a really good one.

It's a decent idea. But since he's already gone to arb as a starter. He's making over 5million already.

Not really any chance we would pick him up for a possible bullpen role making 6+ million in arb next year.  Maybe if he were a closer already,instead of a POTENTIAL closer? I agree though, he might be a great bullpen guy down the road.

Right, would only work if he is nontendered. Someone will trade for an arm like that.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Appears he will miss all of 2017 due to flexor surgery. Appears we dodged a bullet on that one.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am glad we got Nova now. If we had traded for Evovaldi, he would probably never pitched for us because I think Evovaldi is. Free Agent after 2017 season.
BucAndEer

Post by BucAndEer »

232F2E757C757D70776872450 wrote: I am glad we got Nova now. If we had traded for Evovaldi, he would probably never pitched for us because I think Evovaldi is. Free Agent after 2017 season.

Had that trade happened, I bet the Pirates would have made the Yankees take him back like the Marlins did when they sent Colin Rea back to the Padres.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Will be interesting to see how Nova finishes out the year. I would hope Neal Huntington sees the need for another starting pitcher outside of the Pirates organization. We seem to succeed with former Yankee Pitchers. Here's hoping Nova can do well for our Battling Buccos :D

Beat'em Bucs
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1621372712353A3D3A1315540 wrote: Will be interesting to see how Nova finishes out the year. I would hope Neal Huntington sees the need for another starting pitcher outside of the Pirates organization. We seem to succeed with former Yankee Pitchers. Here's hoping Nova can do well for our Battling Buccos :D

Beat'em Bucs

Yes we should definitely only trade with the Yankees from now on
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If Nova pitches well down the stretch,it would be nice if the Bucs could make him a reasonable offer which he would accept. After last off season it seems the cost of signing free agent pitchers hit the roof.
Steve19981

Post by Steve19981 »

323E3F646D646C61667963540 wrote: If Nova pitches well down the stretch,it would be nice if the Bucs could make him a reasonable offer which he would accept.  After last off season it seems the cost of signing free agent pitchers hit the roof.

If Nova pitches well down the stretch, he might be the best free agent out there.