Source: Pirates talked to Yankees about Eovaldi

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ThePirate

Post by ThePirate »

per Biertemple's twitter.

interesting. The guy throws really hard. What do you think the Yanks would want for him?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I'm not overwhelmed by getting Evoaldi. One really nice year in 2015 but so-so every other year. Don't see him as an improvement over the guys we have now and the kids that are arriving.
psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

I would love this. His father-in-law is my cousin. Plus he throws gas. I wouldn't give up a ton, though.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

His strikeout numbers are pedestrian, and he gives up a ton of hits.

He may throw gas, but it must be straight as an arrow. Something doesn't add up
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

4B424A5B552F0 wrote: His strikeout numbers are pedestrian, and he gives up a ton of hits.

He may throw gas, but it must be straight as an arrow.    Something doesn't add up

That's exactly it. He has no plus second ( much less third pitch).

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

1924233924234D0 wrote: His strikeout numbers are pedestrian, and he gives up a ton of hits.

He may throw gas, but it must be straight as an arrow.    Something doesn't add up

You're right according to fangraphs pitch values.   Eovaldi has a good fastball, an average at best slider, and a changeup so bad he shouldn't even be throwing it.

I was told that a pitcher with two PLUS pitches wasnt good enough to be in the rotation at this time until the 3rd pitch was developed. Surely our interest in Eovaldi is some kind of mistake or gimmick
steve49

Post by steve49 »

57767E577C74130 wrote: I'm not overwhelmed by getting Evoaldi.  One really nice year in 2015 but so-so every other year.  Don't see him as an improvement over the guys we have now and the kids that are arriving. 

I'm 67 years old and I'm willing to just wait a year rather than waste prospects on a smidgen of a chance to upgrade the back of the rotation. It will not make us WS contenders , at best enhances our chance to make the WC game.
ThePirate

Post by ThePirate »

6D646C7D73090 wrote: His strikeout numbers are pedestrian, and he gives up a ton of hits.

You're right according to fangraphs pitch values.   Eovaldi has a good fastball, an average at best slider, and a changeup so bad he shouldn't even be throwing it.

I was told that a pitcher with two PLUS pitches wasnt good enough to be in the rotation at this time until the 3rd pitch was developed.   Surely our interest in Eovaldi is some kind of mistake or gimmick

Interesting. maybe they want him as a relief pitcher? With a 99MPH pitch and a decent slider he might be a really good one.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

4E727F4A73687B6E7F1A0 wrote:

Interesting. maybe they want him as a relief pitcher? With a 99MPH pitch and a decent slider he might be a really good one.

I was wondering about that myself. It could be post-Melancon planning.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

5F636E5B62796A7F6E0B0 wrote: His strikeout numbers are pedestrian, and he gives up a ton of hits.

I was told that a pitcher with two PLUS pitches wasnt good enough to be in the rotation at this time until the 3rd pitch was developed.   Surely our interest in Eovaldi is some kind of mistake or gimmick

It's a decent idea. But since he's already gone to arb as a starter. He's making over 5million already.

Not really any chance we would pick him up for a possible bullpen role making 6+ million in arb next year.  Maybe if he were a closer already,instead of a POTENTIAL closer? I agree though, he might be a great bullpen guy down the road.