7/6 Game Thread...Locke down 7 wins in a row...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I was saying this earlier if we can hang on tonight and shave another game off tomorrow on the Cubs if they lose and we win all of a sudden the deficit in the division is down to 7.5 games with a chance to cut it to either 6.5 or 4.5 by the end of this weekend. I know I was all over the Cubs to start this season but I think they have really lost their edge over the last month or so and if they aren't careful the standings are going to start looking a lot tighter to them than they might want them too.
KLBuccos

Post by KLBuccos »

Bring on the Cubs!
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Raise the Jolly Roger! That was a great win!
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Impressive win tonight indeed. The bullpen has now given up 1 run I believe in the last 45 innings pitched. It would be huge to sweep the Cardinals 4 games in St Louis with Glasnow making his debut tomorrow and make it 8 wins in a row before the Cubs come to town this weekend.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

10372622273A05312627273A430 wrote: I'd consider keeping Fryer over Stewart even. He can hit better and his defense is just as solid. Don't know if they would do it but just a thought.
So far I really like what I'm seeing of Fryer but it's a little early but I like what I've seen so far a lot.
KLBuccos

Post by KLBuccos »

Kyle Lobstein has just been called up from Indy. I don't have good memories when he was pitching. Brault sent down. Let's hope Lobstein is only used in non stressful situation.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5B7C6D696C714E7A6D6C6C71080 wrote: I'd consider keeping Fryer over Stewart even. He can hit better and his defense is just as solid. Don't know if they would do it but just a thought.

The Trib reports there's a possibility Stewart could have season ending knee surgery if he can't play thru the pain.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

Several thoughts

1). Bullpen has given up 1 run in their last 11 games over 42.33 innings. That's an ERA of 0.21. Wow.

2). We've come from behind to win in six straight games.

3). Hurdle gets bashed a lot on message boards, but he's been on during this winning streak. Pinch hitting for pitchers in the fourth is a bold strategy for a team whose bullpen has struggled, but it's paid off.

4). The front office has gotten a lot of grief about their moves this offseason, but I think we can all agree that Joyce and Freese have been fantastic acquisitions.

5). The Cards don't scare me. They don't play good defense, their starters are overhyped, they have little offense past their first four hitters, and Matheny seems to react late to situations (though I did love the Wong bunt last night). I really can't see how they keep winning.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1. End result for bullpen has been great lately. But they still put a lot of men on base. Previously, they weren't getting out of the jams they were creating. Now it seems they're putting men on base and then having line drives hit right at someone. I'm still not sold.

2. Nice to have the offense to come back.

3. Agreed. Hurdle has been managing well lately. Even PHing for Kratz early in the game yesterday.

4. Joyce and Freese have made a real difference.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6F59584F44455F4D6E435F5F2C0 wrote: I know Locke has had some good games this year. But he still entered the game with a 5+ ERA. He's just too prone to having awful games. I hope the rotation gets good enough to exclude him.

After watching 4 innings of Brault last night, it's painfully obvious that Locke has no place on this team...even as a #5 soft tossing lefty...Brault has so much more deception on his stuff

Second best starter ont he staff and people still want him out of there? Amazing.

I think people need to realize how well he is pitching right now. You know his ERA is high because he took two outings for the team and stayed in to eat innings. Maybe we need to read the front of his uniform and not his back?