Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Spring Training Baseball

Post by skinnyhorse »

7C4C405B5B4641624E5C5C2F0 wrote: Hughes with another bad outing again today. Only got 1 out while giving up 2 runs and 3 hits. When is it enough with him?
His ERA is 14 plus he has got to have the worst record in spring training can't believe they will bring him north but if I know Hurdle we will and he'll get lit up a few times before we let him go I just don't understand Hurdle/Huntington every game is a must to win no matter early in the season or late.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

62525E4545585F7C504242310 wrote: Hughes with another bad outing again today. Only got 1 out while giving up 2 runs and 3 hits. When is it enough with him?
It is time to release Hughes. He has been a good representative for the Bucs, but his main objective is to perform out of the bullpen which he is no longer doing.
dmetz

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dmetz »

Hutchison is doing everything he can to demoted and the Org isn't biting.

After 7 pro years and over 50 ML starts, I have to conclude he's being rushed
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am not a huge Hutchison fan, but remember that Edison Volquez had a poor spring in 2014 and he ended up being one the better Pirate pitchers that season.
Jerseykc

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Jerseykc »

0321322F2C292E21023523232F400 wrote: BRAULT BY DEFAULT !

Can't be Hutchison the way he's getting lit.

Glasnow not ready.

Gotta be Brault.

They can go first 2 weeks without a 5th starter if they want.

THIS IS WHY I WAS BEGGING FOR 2 MORE LEGIT STARTERS DURING THE OFFSEASON. We are severely short on quality starters. We have 3. Maybe. We need about 7.

If decision was mine, I'd do the following

Brault - 5th starter

Williams - long relief, spot starter

Hutchinson - AAA

Hughes - gone

Glasnow starts in AAA, could come in as 5th starter or long relief if either Brault or Williams can't handle their roles
PMike

Spring Training Baseball

Post by PMike »

It's hard to be really down on Hutchison, Glasnow, and Hughes when Bastardo and Watson have been as bad, if not worse. This ST has been such a mess for a few of these young guys and established guys, it's hard to discern what to take from it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think it comes down to trusting the veterans. They aren't really battling for a spot and can get away with more and experimenting on pitches/situations.

Hughes had a bad year last year. That might be a trend. But I wouldn't call it a trend for Watson or Bastardo yet.

I think Hutchison is out of options. If so, he will at least go the bullpen. Brault could have won the job as the 5th starter. I assume he has an outing coming up.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I know ST stats aren't anything, but I noticed that Frankie has struck out 18 in his 9.2 innings.  Wonder if he'd be in the competition for our fifth starter spot. 
UtahPirate

Spring Training Baseball

Post by UtahPirate »

I mentioned yesterday that most of Williams work has been behind the scenes. You have to wonder if Searage has been tweaking something. Got the start today as was solid -- 5 innings, 3 hits, no runs, no walks and 4 Ks.
DemDog

Spring Training Baseball

Post by DemDog »

Utah, no matter where Searage worked with him if the help makes him a viable 5th starter for the Bucs at least for the 1st couple months until they see what Glasnow actually has learned from working with Searage. Gonna be intereting to say the least.