Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

16373F163D35520 wrote: I assumed that if the game was in the evening it would be on TV.  Guess not?

tomorrow at 1.05 pm on root.  a shame for you young guys who work.  old farts like me can sit back with a bottle of irish mist and sip away during the game. ;D

During March Madness? Bad call by Root by wasting a televised game in my opinion.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

3E353D3134352E6B6D1A233B3235357439355A0 wrote: Skinny,

Explain the high in the zone theory.  I can't say I ever heard that at the professional levels.  Pitchers are taught to throw low so hitters hit on top of the ball to create grounders.  Groundballs in the majors is usually an out and never result in a homerun.  I understand at the high school, summer league levels, but not the pros.

Caminera didn't have good accuracy either.  He was drilling guys and he didn't have much movement either.  He probably had trouble throwing where he wanted to (at least he did in 2016 for the Pirates).

i wanted to bump this to Skinny. i am curious.
dmetz

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dmetz »

Max Scherzer

Any flyball pitcher throwing four-seamers will look for a combination of elevation and lateral arm-side movement on that four seamer to get Whiffs.

Elevation creates illusion of a harder fastball.  The success rates of groundball and flyball pitchers really aren't that pronunced and there's a lot of guys out there not generating groundballs..

It's kind of an overvalued myth.  Drilled into the heads of fans over and over.  I believe it's better all else equal, but groundballs aren't nearly the end all, be all they're made out to be. Miss bats! Miss as many as you can.

skinnyhorse

Spring Training Baseball

Post by skinnyhorse »

575E564749330 wrote: Max Scherzer

Any flyball pitcher throwing four-seamers will look for a combination of elevation and lateral arm-side movement on that four seamer to get Whiffs.

Elevation creates illusion of a harder fastball.  The success rates of groundball and flyball pitchers really aren't that pronunced and there's a lot of guys out there not generating groundballs..

It's kind of an overvalued myth.  Drilled into the heads of fans over and over.  I believe it's better all else equal, but groundballs aren't nearly the end all, be all they're made out to be.   Miss bats!  Miss as many as you can.

The only thing I would add to this is especially throwing high hard ones for a relief pitcher are hard to lay off of, so you don't have to be as accurate. The idea is the ball is closer to eye level and looks so good to most hitters.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Isn't it better to keep the ball low to generate more ground balls? They don't leave the ballpark if a bat is not missed.

dmetz

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dmetz »

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

That article says that ground ball pitchers essentially do a little better. But then the last line says one isn't better than the other?

I prefer a ground ball pitcher. Like the article said, less extra base hits (less HRs). With a man on first, a double in the gap can score a run or at least get the man on third. A ground ball single will rarely score that run or even get the guy on third.

Everyone prefers a pitcher who can strike everyone out. A high pitch mistake can be a lot more damaging. that is probably why we hear to keep the ball low at the higher levels.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Osuna with a two run homer. He is going to make it tough on the Bucs Brass to send him to AAA. He is beginning to appear to be a prospect to keep an eye on.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6E676F7E700A0 wrote: Max Scherzer

It's kind of an overvalued myth.  Drilled into the heads of fans over and over.  I believe it's better all else equal, but groundballs aren't nearly the end all, be all they're made out to be.   Miss bats!  Miss as many as you can.

I agree with you that they're not the end-all, be all but better. Probably especially in the majors where you surely have a higher quality of infielder behind you.
dmetz

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dmetz »

Sure. I think it's better if a pitcher is able to throw a good sinker. There's a lot of good pitchers who don't have crazy high GB rates though.