Official Game Thread - 5/28 - Bucs @ Mariners

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Don’t see Bucs live much, especially three in a row. Hayes and Joe just huge offensive holes in the lineup this weekend. So many opportunities wasted with those two at the plate. Joe is probably over exposed as a starter and Hayes needs to figure something cause he looked terrible except the homer on Friday.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Makes me wonder how Andy LaRoche is doing these days....
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

5E737E6F68796E2E2D1C0 wrote: I don't dislike Hayes. He was just miscast as a franchise player. He's very good defensively. Makes all the routine plays look easy. Strong, accurate arm. But he's not an offensive player. Consistently weak bat. There have been plenty of MLB players who are outstanding defensively but didn't play regularly because of their bat. If he hadn't been hyped as a savior, Hayes might be a part time player seeing a lot of late inning defense work. His amazing start in 2020 was based on only 85 ABs. Jason Delay is hitting .318 in 66 ABs. Hayes is no more a great hitter based on 85 ABs than Delay is based on 66 ABs.

I saw Brooks Robinson play most of his career. He not only made the routine plays easily but was a human highlight reel. Countless diving plays to rob batters of hits. If you check their defensive metrics, Hayes doesn't begin to compare in runs saved. We take Hayes for granted at 3B because he's so smooth and efficient. But I don't recall him making many sensational plays to rob hits. I don't say this to demean Hayes. He's one of the best defensive 3Bmen in MLB today. But if he's going to be a weak bat, he needs to be even better defensively and make the sensational as well as the routine plays. I'd rather have a Richie Hebner: a steady hitter who doesn't make all the plays at 3B than Hayes who is a hole in the lineup despite his fielding prowess. 

I dislike Hayes. It's nothing at all personal.

We need a third baseman. He's not it.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Well if we can somehow still hang in SF we come home to a weak STL team and the worse team in all of sports.

Have a feeling STL will come alive in the Burgh but we damn well better destroy A's.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

7D585B5B4E6558505245370 wrote: Runner on third no outs Joe, Suwinski, Hayes all strike out.

The Bucs got what they deserved. They did not deserve to win this game. Now the great April has been wiped out

I’m pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yea they sure did get what they deserve. Just too many guys not coming through in the clutch or when needed in big moments. From 20-8 on April 30th to 26-26 exactly 4 weeks later on Memorial Day and back to .500. I think had you asked everybody on March 30th two months ago when the season opened if you would have signed up for 26-26 on Memorial Day and a 1 1/2 out of first place with 110 games left we all would have taken it and ran with it. But not after starting 20-8 and going 6-18 in the last 24 games and going the entire month of May winning no series at all. Let’s see how things go in San Fran these next 3 games before the big 9 game homestand begins to start June on Friday with the surging Cards, the pathetic A’s and the underachieving Mets.