Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Spring Training Baseball

Post by skinnyhorse »

3E392F27293E79750C2B212D2520622F23214C0 wrote: i saw where Hurdel said after the Glasnow start that you can't leave your pitches high and make it up here.   I've never thought Hurdle was very smart but he cinched it with that statement.  It you throw 95 plus you should throw high.  But they need to be high strikes or just above the strike zone.  Absolutely never understood why they didn't try to get Caminero to throw his 100 mph fastball high and if he had been able to do that no one could hit it.  I never ever saw him throw it and I watched a lot of his pitching.  Just stupid plain and simple and seems Hurdle just doesn't understand simple things like throw the high hard one, heard and seen it all my life.

The problem though, per my untrained eye, is that anything off speed was up. His fast ball was middlin 93-94 with a couple 95 and they were down in the zone generally, but off speed all looked up. And little break. 

Maybe that's what Clint's talking about cause I was definitely thinking Glasnow is going to get crushed with his location.

Definitely can't leave the breaking stuff up or you'll get killed, still don't understand why they didn't insist on Caminero throwing his fastball up, just stupid is all I can figure.
OrlandoMerced

Spring Training Baseball

Post by OrlandoMerced »

It seems like his spring is being overshadowed by Osuna, but Frazier is having an impressive showing. I wonder if that could lead to sort of an equal time shift between him, Freese and Harrison. I'm not sure I want to count on either of those three as an everyday position player, but that's a nice trio of players that can provide some position flexibility and not hurt you when penciled into the lineup on any given day.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Skinny,

Explain the high in the zone theory. I can't say I ever heard that at the professional levels. Pitchers are taught to throw low so hitters hit on top of the ball to create grounders. Groundballs in the majors is usually an out and never result in a homerun. I understand at the high school, summer league levels, but not the pros.

Caminera didn't have good accuracy either. He was drilling guys and he didn't have much movement either. He probably had trouble throwing where he wanted to (at least he did in 2016 for the Pirates).
Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

49746A676862694B6374656362060 wrote: It seems like his spring is being overshadowed by Osuna, but Frazier is having an impressive showing.  I wonder if that could lead to sort of an equal time shift between him, Freese and Harrison.  I'm not sure I want to count on either of those three as an everyday position player, but that's a nice trio of players that can provide some position flexibility and not hurt you when penciled into the lineup on any given day.
Sounds like Hurdle really likes Frazier's hitting. And I recall a NH interview this winter where he said Frazier could become a starter down the line. I think Frazier could get quite a bit of playing time this year at a variety of positions.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Speaking of how keeping the ball down is good and not bad, Taillon has 9 groundouts so far today vs 0 flies.
OrlandoMerced

Spring Training Baseball

Post by OrlandoMerced »

What are they going to do with Jared Hughes? They can't carry him on the 25 man after this spring right?

I would think the BP looks something like:

Watson, Rivera, Hudson, Nicasio, Bastardo ...?
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6558464B444E45674F58494F4E2A0 wrote: What are they going to do with Jared Hughes?  They can't carry him on the 25 man after this spring right?

I would think the BP looks something like:

Watson, Rivera, Hudson, Nicasio, Bastardo ...?

Yeah, he's one of my favorite players (off the field) but he's been not good for over a year now . . .
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Hughes having another poor outing again today. There is a date coming up in March in which a team can release a player and not be obligated to pay his entire salary. I wonder if the Bucs will release Hughes prior to that date to reduce their 2017 payroll.
CarolinaBucco

Spring Training Baseball

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Any reason why Bell didn't play today? I find it curious since they were off yesterday and Bell is behind so you'd figure he needs as many ABs as he can get.
JollyRoger

Spring Training Baseball

Post by JollyRoger »

I like Hughes as a person too; but he has really stunk it up this spring. His poor performances really stand out against the very good performances by most of the staff