Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The FAN morning guys had a lawyer on this morning and he was explaining the legal ramifications with Kang returning to the States. He could not give any timetable when Kang will return,but he did seem concerned about how the DUI in December could effect his immediate return to the States. I bet Kang does not get to camp for at least another 10 days to 2 weeks.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Pretty solid outing from Hutchison.  I saw he just threw down a sac bunt.  Is he going to pitch five?  Are we at that point in ST?

Edit--nope, they pulled him, just have just wanted to work on the sac bunt situation. Anyhow, from gameday anyhow it looks like he had a nice outing. 4IP 1HR 2BB 5K
Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

6F5D51514577545D50555A5D3C0 wrote: Pretty solid outing from Hutchison.  I saw he just threw down a sac bunt.  Is he going to pitch five?  Are we at that point in ST?

Edit--nope, they pulled him, just have just wanted to work on the sac bunt situation.  Anyhow, from gameday anyhow it looks like he had a nice outing.  4IP 1HR 2BB 5K
We've all seen players have strong springs that don't translate into good seasons. So I won't get too excited. But since ST is all we have to go on so far, Hutchison's work is encouraging. Interesting comment in the Trib that "Hutchison, purportedly battling Steven Brault and Trevor Williams to be the Pirates' No. 5 starter, acquitted himself well in becoming the first Pirates pitcher to go four innings this spring during a 4-1 win against the Tampa Bay Rays. " Oversight or is Glasnow already ticketed for Indy? Not that Glasnow starting off at Indy would surprise me but has that decision already been made?

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1205 ... tes-league
UtahPirate

Spring Training Baseball

Post by UtahPirate »

Hutchison seems to be a bit of lightning rod because he was involved in an unpopular trade. While I won't take the role of a complete apologist for what went down with Toronto, I'm sure pulling for him to solidify our rotation.

Rumbunter had an article about Hutchison this morning with some interesting stats backing up his ability. I've cherry-picked what I found interesting, but you can read the full article below:

"Fans of the Pittsburgh Pirates should be optimistic about Drew Hutchison due to his slider. Last season, his slider had the second best spin rate in the Major Leagues behind just Max Scherzer. This led to opposing batters hitting just .229 off of his slider. During his Major League career, he has held opposing batters to a wRC+ of just 79 off of his slider.

In 2016 Hutch also featured a plus change up. He held opposing hitters to a .182 average and a wRC+ of 4 against his change up. These two pitches could give Hutchison the duo needed to retire both left and right-handed hitters.

Even though many Pirate fans will ignore it, Drew Hutchison has the career results of a good back of the rotation starting pitcher. Hutchison owns a 4.25 FIP, 4.04 xFIP, and a 4.2 WAR in his career. He has also averaged 8.27 K/9 and just 2.82 BB/9. His big problem has always been that he has always allowed too many home runs (1.27 HR/9) in his career. But moving out of the American League East and to the National League should help to fix that issue."

http://rumbunter.com/2017/03/11/drew-hu ... -rotation/
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Hughes having tough outing again today. He surrendered 3 runs on 3 hits. He may be on the bubble for making the team.
Ecbucs

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Ecbucs »

0D2C393008312A392C3D580 wrote: Hutchison seems to be a bit of lightning rod because he was involved in an unpopular trade. While I won't take the role of a complete apologist for what went down with Toronto, I'm sure pulling for him to solidify our rotation.

Rumbunter had an article about Hutchison this morning with some interesting stats backing up his ability. I've cherry-picked what I found interesting, but you can read the full article below:

"Fans of the Pittsburgh Pirates should be optimistic about Drew Hutchison due to his slider. Last season, his slider had the second best spin rate in the Major Leagues behind just Max Scherzer. This led to opposing batters hitting just .229 off of his slider. During his Major League career, he has held opposing batters to a wRC+ of just 79 off of his slider.

In 2016 Hutch also featured a plus change up. He held opposing hitters to a .182 average and a wRC+ of 4 against his change up. These two pitches could give Hutchison the duo needed to retire both left and right-handed hitters.

Even though many Pirate fans will ignore it, Drew Hutchison has the career results of a good back of the rotation starting pitcher. Hutchison owns a 4.25 FIP, 4.04 xFIP, and a 4.2 WAR in his career. He has also averaged 8.27 K/9 and just 2.82 BB/9. His big problem has always been that he has always allowed too many home runs (1.27 HR/9) in his career. But moving out of the American League East and to the National League should help to fix that issue."

http://rumbunter.com/2017/03/11/drew-hu ... -rotation/

Rumbunter failed to point out that Drew only pitched 24 innings in the majors in 2016. Who knows what his spin rate would have been if he had been up all season or what his spin rate was in AAA. Rumbunter points out his career FIP but his FIP in 2016 in majors was 5.69 (4,73 with the Bucs) It would be great if he can come through but it is a long shot.
skinnyhorse

Spring Training Baseball

Post by skinnyhorse »

444849121B121A17100F15220 wrote: Hughes having tough outing again today.  He surrendered 3 runs on 3 hits. He may be on the bubble for making the team.
He looked awful last year and it looks like he continues to stink up the place. Do no bring him north please.
rucker59@gmail.com

Spring Training Baseball

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Watching Glasnow against Braves.

1st inning. 15 pitches. 10 strikes. 1 hit. 1 stolen base (ugh). 1 run on a sac. Pretty good inning.

Meadows looks awesome.
IABucFan

Spring Training Baseball

Post by IABucFan »

6D6A7C747A6D2A265F78727E7673317C70721F0 wrote: Watching Glasnow against Braves.

1st inning.  15 pitches.  10 strikes.  1 hit.  1 stolen base (ugh).  1 run on a sac.  Pretty good inning.

Meadows looks awesome. 

You must be at the game?
rucker59@gmail.com

Spring Training Baseball

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4D4546716742656A040 wrote: Watching Glasnow against Braves.

1st inning.  15 pitches.  10 strikes.  1 hit.  1 stolen base (ugh).  1 run on a sac.  Pretty good inning.

Meadows looks awesome. 

You must be at the game?

Yep. A few rows behind the Pirates dugout.

2nd inning:

8 pitches. 5 strikes. 1 SO. Very good control today.