Pennies should be worried . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

69484069424A2D0 wrote: Have there been any rumors about movie producer/investor/billionaire Thomas Tull buying the team? I don't know if it's still true, but he used to live in the city. He still has ties to the area donating millions to the local hospitals during the pandemic and is a big baseball fan. (He was a big booster of the Maine Endwell team that won the LLWS and produced the Jackie Robinson biography 42.)

I know, it's totally a dream. But that's all I got without the games.

Wikiwand on Thomas Tull 

Seems he had some money in the Stillers until recently.  He lives in Pgh so maybe we can hope he might be interested in bailing Pennies out.  Or should I say the loyal and longtime Bucco Fans.

As far as I know there are no rumors about anyone buying the team since there are no rumors about Nutting selling it.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

0E232E3F38293E7E7D4C0 wrote: Have there been any rumors about movie producer/investor/billionaire Thomas Tull buying the team? I don't know if it's still true, but he used to live in the city. He still has ties to the area donating millions to the local hospitals during the pandemic and is a big baseball fan. (He was a big booster of the Maine Endwell team that won the LLWS and produced the Jackie Robinson biography 42.)

I know, it's totally a dream. But that's all I got without the games.

Wikiwand on Thomas Tull 

Seems he had some money in the Stillers until recently.  He lives in Pgh so maybe we can hope he might be interested in bailing Pennies out.  Or should I say the loyal and longtime Bucco Fans.

As far as I know there are no rumors about anyone buying the team since there are no rumors about Nutting selling it.

I know there are no rumors about Nutting selling the team, but Thomas Tull would be a great primary owner, with some other investors that would include Michael Keaton another Pittsburgh native.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

457067676C5567676C6B67020 wrote: In a perfect world, I'd be BOB!

BUT....I was only born good lookin'. 

_____

There must be 2 Greenweenies and I met the other one.

:)) 

Two Green Weenies? OMG
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

07202B08450 wrote: He could be a billionaire by selling the Pirates.  Do people really still think he's holding on to the team just to get that "paltry" sum of the TV revenues?

The Pirates are a valuable asset, but how much of them does Bob actually own? Any sale would be split between the minority owners, Bob and probably his father.

I tried to find this out but couldn't. I believe the Bucs have bought out a lot of minority owners over the years.
Javy

Post by Javy »

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... port-says/

Hmmmm...if enacted, this would up to the individual teams if they want to implement it...methinks Bob would be at the head of the line going "me, me, me"
BenM

Post by BenM »

Sources: Majority of MLB teams to pay baseball ops staff through May

I'm sure you will all won't be surprised to find out the Pirates are not on the list.
shedman

Post by shedman »

Phone conversation between the other owners and Bob Nutting:

Other owners:  Bob, we have a proposition for you.  We need to expand our farm systems and our proposal to you is to act as a farm system for our clubs.

BOB -  What's in it for me?

O.O.  - You can get Pittsburgh to build you a fancy new stadium and you can act like a real major league team.  Meantime, you can have as many promotions as you like including pierogi races,

fireworks, and tee shirt throws to attract as many non-baseball fans as possible.

Bob - Hmmmm.

O.O. -  You can sell bobbleheads promoting the 1960, 1971, and 1979 World Series wins in Pittsburgh.

Bob - I like it.

O.O. - Now understand that you will be required to give us any players who come through your system and have developed into major league baseball players and in return we will give you a steady supply of prospects to develop for us in the future.

Bob - Well our fans won't like it, but I can just change Management teams every once in a while and tell the fans that we need to see what we have.

O.O. - We will feed you revenue sharing and you can pocket $30 million per year.

Bob - I'm in.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

How certain are you that this was a phone conversation? Could they have done it by TELEGRAPH? ;))))
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5F6A7D7D764F7D7D76717D180 wrote: How certain are you that this was a phone conversation?  Could they have done it by TELEGRAPH?   ;))))

This reply is so lame I feel like deleting it! But then again you must be having the dreaded stay at home disease! :P
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I see where Shelton is volunteering to take a pay cut and it is referenced that Cherington and other top office executives would also be required to. That would be classic Nutting to have guys he just hired take a pay cut while he sits on his billions.

I don’t see how anyone with choices would choose to work here.