Opening day lineup...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Opening day lineup...

Post by SCBucco »

517C71606776612122130 wrote: I wish the Pirates would continue selling. Trade Harrison, Nova, Cervelli, Freese, Rodriguez, and Hudson--for starters. I would even go so far as to say trade Rivero. He probably brings the best return. If Marte and Polanco have a hot first half, trade them at the deadline, too.

I actually kind of agree that this lineup, and rotation, are not THAT bad. I can envision a scenario in which they are competitive. But, that scenario has us competing in a lousy division, where an 85 win team could luck into a division title. That isn't the case this year. The Cubs, Cards, and probably Brewers will all be good. They're swimming in the deep end of the pool; we're still wallowing around in the baby pool.

This is probably a 72-78 win team. Best case scenario...they might win 85. Worst case, they probably win 65. And, as I've frequently said, if you can't win 90, you may as well not win 60. Second place is the first loser. Tear the whole thing down, and commit to a serious, well-thought out rebuild, centered around Bell and Taillon.

No one will take Cervelli and that contact.  He doesn't have much value because of that.  The only two that have some sort of value you mentioned are Harrison and Nova.

I disagree. There’s always a taker for a warm body behind the plate.
Not a warm body who comes with a 22 million dollar contract and a history of injuries.

Exactly and add no power.
SCBucco

Opening day lineup...

Post by SCBucco »

5F5A5D5B5359405D5447414C350 wrote: If we pick up half his contract we can probably move him, but I wouldn't bother unless we can get a solid prospect for him.

You forgot to add the sarcasm font for the first part. Remember, this clown organization waived its second best reliever last year to save 600K. We already are sending 2.5 million to SF in the Cutch deal, but ...

He isn't worth a solid prospect even if we picked up 50% retention.