Opening day lineup...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Opening day lineup...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The more I stop and think about things and this roster overall and this lineup believe it or not I still think it’s a fairly decent lineup with a chance to score runs. Obviously guys like Marte and Polanco need to step up big time. But if you keep JHay around and mix a guy in like Moran who I like a lot in the Cole deal I think this lineup has a real good chance to be solid. You have a good bench with Sean Rod, Freese, Osuna, Moroff, Luplow, and Diaz. And once Austin Meadows figures it out and gets up here it will make them that much better. With that being said I think this lineup below to start the season gives the Pirates the best chance to win games early on.

Harrison 2nd

Frazier LF

Polanco RF

Bell 1st

Marte CF

Moran 3rd

Cervelli C

Mercer SS

OrlandoMerced

Opening day lineup...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Yeah, problem is that the lineup busts if Polanco can't be a solid middle of the order producer and if Cervelli can't stay on the field.

Too many ifs, but there is upside if guys surprise.
BucsFaninGA

Opening day lineup...

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I concur, that looks like a decent starting lineup. I'm hoping Polanco and Cervelli have discovered the fountain of youth! And Marte has recovered from his dings. If those 3 can come through health wise with Josh Bell improving and the steady and consistent play of Jordy Mercer and J-Hay, we will be competitive. Like Frazier a lot. The kid knows how to hit. Now if they will just use him...Jury is out on Colin Moran, but I'm hoping he is something and can add value to the club and play a steady 3rd and has some pop in his stick...I hated to loose Cole, but knew he wouldn't be staying around much longer....Still think we need another speedy OF...Beat'em Bucs! 8-)
OrlandoMerced

Opening day lineup...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

It's really all going to come down to the 3-4-5. (some order of Bell, Marte and Polanco).

With Moran, Frazier and Harrison, they have bench depth that would cover if any of them can't produce in the everyday lineup. Then there's also depth and production questions around Mercer and Cervelli.

There's really just nothing there to back up those 3-4-5 guys if they aren't middle of the order bats, and that's the problem.
Roberto218

Opening day lineup...

Post by Roberto218 »

Need Bell, Polanco and Marte to step up power production.
Quail

Opening day lineup...

Post by Quail »

417C626F606A61436B7C6D6B6A0E0 wrote: It's really all going to come down to the 3-4-5. (some order of Bell, Marte and Polanco).

With Moran, Frazier and Harrison, they have bench depth that would cover if any of them can't produce in the everyday lineup. Then there's also depth and production questions around Mercer and Cervelli.

There's really just nothing there to back up those 3-4-5 guys if they aren't middle of the order bats, and that's the problem.

I agree with this. I would also add that for a team that projects to have only minimal power, if this lineup produces per their projected 2018 seasons (baseball-reference.com,) there is some legitimate hope that Bell and Polanco might exceed those power expectations. Marte just isn't a power hitter. He's a line drive doubles-triples hitting, base stealing, Gold Glove outfielder who'll be a big plus if he can keep his OBP at or above .340. So, I do like the upside of 3-4-5 in this order. None the less this is a team that was 14th out of 15 teams last year in home runs, and that was with Andrew McCutchen.

Given the almost certain lack of even average power from this lineup what concerns me is that the defense we can expect from this group isn't good enough. If you want to help your pitching staff you either need to score a bunch of runs or prevent more than an average amount. Sure Marte is a Gold Glover, and Harrison and Mercer are good defenders but Frazier, Moran, Polanco and Bell all have to improve to be considered even average defenders. Cervelli was once considered to be a plus defender, but if as some contend his pitch framing has become less effective then he's just an average defensive catcher. Light hitting teams have won the World Series (ex. 1961 LA Dodgers) but it required great defense and pitching to accomplish it.

In sum I just don't like the chances of a light hitting lineup such as this one that provides overall only average defense to be truly competitive.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Opening day lineup...

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Bell was a big surprise defensively last year. I wouldn't put him in the bad category.

Don't forget how good the bench is on defense with Freese and Rodriguez. Diaz has a big arm too. Hurdle loves those defensive replacements.

Polanco might not catch a lot of balls, but teams rarely run on his big arm. He at least can keep teams to singles when he misplays a ball.
MaineBucs

Opening day lineup...

Post by MaineBucs »

Baseball appears to again be transitioning to a game of power. The above line-up has very limited overall power; perhaps 80 - 90 HR's.

I like Frazier as a hitter, even though he has limited power, but his bat doesn't play as a corner outfielder unless other players on the team can deliver in the power Department. To date, both Marte and Polanco have exhibited limited power, and there is little reason to believe that one or both will suddenly hit 25+ HR's. J-Hay, Mercer and even Bell likely top out where they did last year. While Moran may hit more HR than Freese (he better), the team is still sorely lacking in power.

I also believe that the lack of power is complicated by the lack of good speed through-out the line-up. The only player who is a true base running threat is Marte. But, perhaps more troubling, is that so few players in the line-up appear to have the speed and good base running aptitude to successfully take an extra base.

I am expecting a really down year, unless the starting pitching staff really over-performs.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Opening day lineup...

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I would think Harrison, Polanco, and Frazier all have above average speed. Frazier is the best base runner of the bunch. Mercer is a good base runner too, just not very fast.
Quail

Opening day lineup...

Post by Quail »

404B434F4A4B501513645D454C4B4B0A474B240 wrote: Bell was a big surprise defensively last year.  I wouldn't put him in the bad category.

Don't forget how good the bench is on defense with Freese and Rodriguez.  Diaz has a big arm too.  Hurdle loves those defensive replacements.

Polanco might not catch a lot of balls, but teams rarely run on his big arm.  He at least can keep teams to singles when he misplays a ball. 

Yeah Dog, I wouldn't (and didn't) put him in the "bad" category, but he's currently no better than average. Can he improve on that? I hope so, but that's just one of the many "wishes" we all have to hope come to fruition for this team to come close to competitiveness.

As you point out some of our bench guys are plus defenders so with judicious use they could improve overall defense. I believe Hurdle will consistently need to make the right calls this season in order to balance maximizing his offense with the timely use of defensive replacements to give the pitching staff the support it needs to be competitive. This team as constructed has little room for mishandling of players or for key players having down years.