Newman or Gonzalez...Who is winning the competition for SS

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6D6F757365000 wrote: Does the loser in this mix get traded?
If Newman is the loser he will probably be a backup on the bench. I doubt they would send him to AAA to play shortstop because I am going to assume that they plan to send Tucker to Indy to be the starting shortstop. In my opinion he is their future shortstop hopefully beginning in 2020.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Neither Newman or Gonzalez are hitting above .200 after today’s game. I think the Pirates made a huge mistake by not signing one of the free agent shortstops this offseason. I did not expect them to go after Machado, but there were others who had success as major league shortstops. I hope Newman or Gonzalez can become decent hitters, but at this point I am a little concerned.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7B77762D242D25282F302A1D0 wrote: Neither Newman or Gonzalez are hitting above .200 after today’s game. I think the Pirates made a huge mistake by not signing one of the free agent shortstops this offseason. I did not expect them to go after Machado, but there were others who had success as major league shortstops. I hope Newman or Gonzalez can become decent hitters, but at this point I am a little concerned.

I wonder if either is as good as Clint Barnes with glove? He has been team's best defensive shortstop since Jack Wilson.

If these guys can't hit they need to be great in the field. If they are average in field and below average at offense the team is in trouble.
iwatch

Post by iwatch »

I hate to tell you this but this team is in big trouble period. The shortstop is immaterial. They are in HUGE trouble. 90+ losses are on the horizon.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

0D2B2A3D2B3B480 wrote: Neither Newman or Gonzalez are hitting above .200 after today’s game. I think the Pirates made a huge mistake by not signing one of the free agent shortstops this offseason. I did not expect them to go after Machado, but there were others who had success as major league shortstops. I hope Newman or Gonzalez can become decent hitters, but at this point I am a little concerned.

I wonder if either is as good as Clint Barnes with glove?  He has been team's best defensive shortstop since Jack Wilson. 

If these guys can't hit they need to be great in the field.  If they are average in field and below average at offense the team is in trouble.
I have never seen Gonzalez play, but I am afraid he is like former shortstop Ronnie Cedeneo he will make an outstanding play, and then boot the easy double play ball.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5C50510A030A020F08170D3A0 wrote: Neither Newman or Gonzalez are hitting above .200 after today’s game. I think the Pirates made a huge mistake by not signing one of the free agent shortstops this offseason. I did not expect them to go after Machado, but there were others who had success as major league shortstops. I hope Newman or Gonzalez can become decent hitters, but at this point I am a little concerned.

I wonder if either is as good as Clint Barnes with glove?  He has been team's best defensive shortstop since Jack Wilson. 

If these guys can't hit they need to be great in the field.  If they are average in field and below average at offense the team is in trouble.
I have never seen Gonzalez play, but I am afraid he is like former shortstop Ronnie Cedeneo he will make an outstanding play, and then boot the easy double play ball.

that is a concern of mine too. Unless Moroff and/or Luplow are better than what they have shown with Pirates the Bucs didn't give up much to get Gonzalez and the prospect pitcher.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1E38392E38285B0 wrote: Neither Newman or Gonzalez are hitting above .200 after today’s game. I think the Pirates made a huge mistake by not signing one of the free agent shortstops this offseason. I did not expect them to go after Machado, but there were others who had success as major league shortstops. I hope Newman or Gonzalez can become decent hitters, but at this point I am a little concerned.

that is a concern of mine too.  Unless Moroff and/or Luplow are better than what they have shown with Pirates the Bucs didn't give up much to get Gonzalez and the prospect pitcher.

This is significant. By all accounts, except the spin from TBMTIB, this was a minor trade. Marginal players who may or may not have futures in MLB (Luplow, Moroff) for a 26 year old utility infielder and a pair of 19 year old rookie league pitchers. I doubt Cleveland is kidding themselves about Luplow and Moroff. They took a flyer on 2 marginal players and gave up only a utility infielder they didn't need and 2 youngsters who are too far away from even knowing if they will amount to anything. Only the Pirates would pass this off as a big trade in which they acquire their starting SS because they won't fill a need via free agency or trade if it means obtaining a proven player with a market level contract. But we need to remain realistic and recognize that Gonzalez is an unproven player who's never been a starter and wasn't valued highly by his old team. That doesn't mean he can't succeed but we need to temper our expectations.