Newman or Gonzalez...Who is winning the competition for SS

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Just curious what other Bucco fans think. Who is winning the competition for the starting SS position? Newman now has 3 hits compared to Gonzalez 1. Has anyone been present to see how they look in the field and in situations where they are challenged by major league pitching? Would love to hear what others think?

Bucs Fan in GA

8-)
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

I am guessing Gonzalez.
mouse

Post by mouse »

From the hitting stats, it looks like neither one is winning on that side. We may see Reyes more than we thought. Bucsdugout.com has an article on Spring training winners and losers so far but neither make the article --

https://www.bucsdugout.com/2019/3/4/182 ... ers-so-far
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Interview on the radio last night seem to say it was Gonzalez to lose. He hasn't been hitting of course (and we'll see if he does) but his defense has been as advertised or better, with Newman "not even close, no offense to him" according to the reporter.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7C4E42425664474E4346494E2F0 wrote: Interview on the radio last night seem to say it was Gonzalez to lose.  He hasn't been hitting of course (and we'll see if he does) but his defense has been as advertised or better, with Newman "not even close, no offense to him" according to the reporter.
That was my understanding. I don't think there is a competition. They traded for Gonzalez and he's going to be the SS.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

426F62737465723231000 wrote: Interview on the radio last night seem to say it was Gonzalez to lose.  He hasn't been hitting of course (and we'll see if he does) but his defense has been as advertised or better, with Newman "not even close, no offense to him" according to the reporter.
That was my understanding. I don't think there is a competition. They traded for Gonzalez and he's going to be the SS.

I suppose I'll take good defense and no hitting over worse defense and no hitting.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I'm not happy about our SS situation at all and once again I think the Pirates have botched it completely ...

BUT ... if Gonzalez really is an elite Gold Glove caliber defender, then I'll be more acceptable of it, even if he hits .230 to .250.

Of course it remains to be seen if he really is that good with the glove.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Looks to me like the "Ifs" (my new nickname for the Pirates) are loaded at SS. Unfortunately they are loaded with a bunch of "Ifs" like Gonzalez and Newman with Reyes also capable of playing the position.

Say you give the nod to Gonzalez what do you do with Newman with the understanding that Reyes can also be a capable backup SS among his other duties? Do you send him to AAA to block Tucker's development? Do you keep him in Pgh and go with the extra fielder in Reyes? Then you need to consider at least once Diaz is back what you do at 3rd catcher.

So many questions and no good answer if you are like TBMTIB and believe that Newman or Gonzalez are really that good.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

1F3D2E333035323D1E293F3F335C0 wrote:

BUT ... if Gonzalez really is an elite Gold Glove caliber defender, then I'll be more acceptable of it, even if he hits .230 to .250.

Of course it remains to be seen if he really is that good with the glove.
Or the bat.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F6D777167020 wrote: From the hitting stats, it looks like neither one is winning on that side. We may see Reyes more than we thought. Bucsdugout.com has an article on Spring training winners and losers so far but neither make the article --

https://www.bucsdugout.com/2019/3/4/182 ... ers-so-far
Reyes started in the organization in 2012 as a SS. But in 2013 he split time between SS and 2B and has not played much SS since. Most of his time the past few years has been in the OF or 2B with a little SS thrown in. It seems after 1 season at SS they decided that would not be his future and groomed him as a utility player, mostly in the OF. I think he can be a very valuable player like Sean Rodriguez was at one time, but I don't think the Pirates see him as a possible solution at SS.