8/29. vs. St. Louis

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

5072617C7F7A7D72516670707C130 wrote: Good win and brilliant pitching performance. Feel great about Trevor Williams right now.

But the wins lose most of their meaning and excitement for me once the games don't matter. And right now they don't matter.

If we could back about 5 of our idiotic, inexcusable losses (most recently ... the Clay Holmes game in SF and then the Clay Holmes game when he walked the pitcher with 2 outs in the 15th) we'd be in the thick of the race and this would have been a huge win tonight.

The one that stick with me is when we had a five-run lead on Arizona and blew it late after Musgrove drilled somebody. Can't even remember who. That was back in, what, May or June?

And taking the lead on the Padres in extras I think in Mid-May and blowing it.
IABucFan

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by IABucFan »

Rivero/Vázquez had that week where he blew like four saves or something like that. There are a lot of games out there that should have been W's that weren’t.
SammyKhalifa

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6A6261564065424D230 wrote: Rivero/Vázquez had that week where he blew like four saves or something like that. There are a lot of games out there that should have been W's that weren’t.

Any team can look at the what ifs though. I'm sure there are lots of games we won that we should have lost. That's the beauty of such a long season that most of those anomalies should even themselves out.
Bobster21

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by Bobster21 »

10222E2E3A082B222F2A2522430 wrote: Rivero/Vázquez had that week where he blew like four saves or something like that. There are a lot of games out there that should have been W's that weren’t.

Any team can look at the what ifs though.  I'm sure there are lots of games we won that we should have lost.  That's the beauty of such a long season that most of those anomalies should even themselves out.
Yeah. That's the philosophy of "If we had done things very differently but all opponents had not changed anything they did, we would have won." Similarly, if a runner from 1B gets thrown out trying to steal 2B and then the batter hits a triple, we say the runner would have scored if he hadn't tried to steal. But if he hadn't tried to steal, the pitch selection and/or location might have changed and batter might never have got that triple. You can't just change one outcome and assume everything else stays the same.
IABucFan

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by IABucFan »

I know all that...just saying...
mouse

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by mouse »

Um, in that example above I suspect if the runner hadn't tried to steal he would have gotten picked off first and the result would have been the same. Or weren't you talking about the Pirates?
DemDog

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by DemDog »

0E0C161006630 wrote: Um, in that example above I suspect if the runner hadn't tried to steal he would have gotten picked off first and the result would have been the same. Or weren't you talking about the Pirates?

mouse you are ornery! 8-)
Bobster21

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by Bobster21 »

23213B3D2B4E0 wrote: Um, in that example above I suspect if the runner hadn't tried to steal he would have gotten picked off first and the result would have been the same. Or weren't you talking about the Pirates?
Or if he hadn't tried to steal, Hurdle would have concluded he needed a rest and kept him out the lineup for days. ;D ;D
DemDog

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by DemDog »

4B666B7A7D6C7B3B38090 wrote: Um, in that example above I suspect if the runner hadn't tried to steal he would have gotten picked off first and the result would have been the same. Or weren't you talking about the Pirates?
Or if he hadn't tried to steal, Hurdle would have concluded he needed a rest and kept him out the lineup for days.  ;D ;D

Another snort of coffee through my nose today! Twice in one day is more than enough Bobster!
Kovalwat

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by Kovalwat »

How long do we have to let Newman show what he can do before we can move on?