8/29. vs. St. Louis

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by INbuc »

Frazier ... that defensive whiz. He saved the first with that dandy play.
BenM

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by BenM »

Are we headed to another 1-0 loss?

Edit: Nope
INbuc

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by INbuc »

This has been a good game. Williams has been dealing. Mikolas pitched well but we finally got to him. The Bucs owned him for about a month in the winter of 2013, but traded him to Texas.
INbuc

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by INbuc »

Just like William's in the 1st, Santana had to walk the tight rope in the 7th. Good job getting out of that jam.
BenM

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by BenM »

Hmm, I wonder whose going to be our opening day pitcher next year.
INbuc

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by INbuc »

2-0. Love those blowout wins!

That is the 14th shut out for the league's youngest pitching staff.
Bobster21

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by Bobster21 »

Williams is an interesting pitcher. Last year is 4.07 wasn't great but it was the best on a staff that included Cole and Taillon. This year he again leads the staff in ERA but has one of the lowest in the NL. Tonight was his 8th game without a run and only 1 of those was a 5 inning affair. 3 were 7 IP and 4 were 6 IP. And he's doing it just by being a smart pitcher. He doesn't have the "stuff" of the other Pirate starters. Doesn't have a great FB. He just knows how to pitch and he's getting better results than those with better stuff. Kind of a throwback.
CarolinaBucco

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Good win and brilliant pitching performance. Feel great about Trevor Williams right now.

But the wins lose most of their meaning and excitement for me once the games don't matter. And right now they don't matter.

If we could back about 5 of our idiotic, inexcusable losses (most recently ... the Clay Holmes game in SF and then the Clay Holmes game when he walked the pitcher with 2 outs in the 15th) we'd be in the thick of the race and this would have been a huge win tonight.
RichD

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by RichD »

I think the games matter to this pitching staff .They are locked in and I hope they can be something special next year .As far as the position players not one of them is a difference maker . Trade them all.
INbuc

8/29. vs. St. Louis

Post by INbuc »

596268634F0B0 wrote: I think the games matter to this pitching staff .They are locked in and I hope they can be something special next year .As far as the position players not one of them is a difference maker . Trade them all.

I think you hit on a really good point. In my lifetime many organizations started great runs with "very competitive" to "dominant" pitching staffs. Teams like the A's, the Mets, the Braves and I am sure you can think of several others over the decades.

They added position players and rounded out their teams. If the Bucs are going to have extended success, it is becoming more apparent this will be the route.