Pirates HOF . . .

Post by johnfluharty »

Dave Parker

Kent Tekulve

maybe Don Robinson
Bobster21

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

I forgot about Parker. Certainly! And I think Blass was named for his work both on the mound and in the booth. That opens the door for Prince. I wouldn't object to Greg Brown for the reasons Sammy mentioned. I find his overuse of nicknames and catch phrases annoying but otherwise think he's a very good PBP announcer. I also realize Prince was probably the king of nicknames and catch phrases but it seemed natural with him. To me, it seems somewhat forced with Brown as if he wants to do it because Prince did it. But otherwise I like him as an announcer.

And of course managers. Murtaugh for sure.

And no fan voting!!! (Sorry, Possum. :))
Ecbucs

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by Ecbucs »

Kendall and Giles should make it too. Drabek was probably already mentioned.

Virdon, Frank Thomas too.

The Pirates will have a big Hall of Fame and deservedly so.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by SammyKhalifa »

597479686F7E69292A1B0 wrote: I forgot about Parker. Certainly! And I think Blass was named for his work both on the mound and in the booth. That opens the door for Prince. I wouldn't object to Greg Brown for the reasons Sammy mentioned. I find his overuse of nicknames and catch phrases annoying but otherwise think he's a very good PBP announcer. I also realize Prince was probably the king of nicknames and catch phrases but it seemed natural with him. To me, it seems somewhat forced with Brown as if he wants to do it because Prince did it. But otherwise I like him as an announcer.

Honestly, I don't know if he's toned it down over the years or I've just gotten used it it, but I've warmed up to his style.

The one thing that bothers me, a small but very basic thing: when he does the radio broadcast he almost never says the score! There have been times where get in the car midgame and I don't even know who's winning for maybe three quarters of an inning.
Bobster21

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

685A56564270535A57525D5A3B0 wrote: I forgot about Parker. Certainly! And I think Blass was named for his work both on the mound and in the booth. That opens the door for Prince. I wouldn't object to Greg Brown for the reasons Sammy mentioned. I find his overuse of nicknames and catch phrases annoying but otherwise think he's a very good PBP announcer. I also realize Prince was probably the king of nicknames and catch phrases but it seemed natural with him. To me, it seems somewhat forced with Brown as if he wants to do it because Prince did it. But otherwise I like him as an announcer.

Honestly, I don't know if he's toned it down over the years or I've just gotten used it it, but I've warmed up to his style.

The one thing that bothers me, a small but very basic thing:  when he does the radio broadcast he almost never says the score!  There have been times where get in the car midgame and I don't even know who's winning for maybe three quarters of an inning.

I always found it very annoying that Brown tried to have a different HR call for each batter. But he's toned that down since he came up with (what I think is clever) "cannonball coming!" But he still does it to some extend ("Ring your Bell," etc.). The worst had to be "mack-whack-tally wack" for a Mackowiak HR. Brown was just trying way too hard. But aside from that stuff I think he's excellent on PBP, will be critical when appropriate, doesn't ramble throughout the broadcast like Block and gives the audience credit for having a knowledge of baseball history by not feeling he has to explain every reference as Block does. And his interplay with the color guy is enough to keep it interesting but not so much that it becomes a boring, desperate attempt to fill time as Block does. Now if he would just get rid of "trip, trip, triple" for me. :)
SammyKhalifa

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, it's trip-trip-triple annoying. :)
Bobster21

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

63515D5D497B58515C595651300 wrote: Yeah, it's trip-trip-triple annoying.  :)
I usually mute the TV after Brown's second "trip." Pirate triples are the only time I prefer Block announcing (although he might miss it if he's talking about pencils or something). 
DemDog

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by DemDog »

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: I forgot about Parker. Certainly! And I think Blass was named for his work both on the mound and in the booth. That opens the door for Prince. I wouldn't object to Greg Brown for the reasons Sammy mentioned. I find his overuse of nicknames and catch phrases annoying but otherwise think he's a very good PBP announcer. I also realize Prince was probably the king of nicknames and catch phrases but it seemed natural with him. To me, it seems somewhat forced with Brown as if he wants to do it because Prince did it. But otherwise I like him as an announcer.

Fan voting was only a suggestion. I was thinking that it would be some way for Nutting to charge fans more and add to his profits. ;D
GermanTownship

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by GermanTownship »

Doug Frobel
ChitownBucco

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by ChitownBucco »

gotta throw out KiKi Cuyler, as my grandfather always talked about him as his favorite player before he passed.

Max Carey, Bob Friend

didn't connie mack play for and manage the pirates for awhile