Pirates HOF . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by DemDog »

I was reading in another Bucs Fan Forum this morning and the topic of creating a Pirates HOF came up. I think this would be a great idea especially for old farts like me and Bobster and Mainer.

If this would happen who do you think should go into the first class of the Pirates HOF?
SammyKhalifa

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4F6E664F646C0B0 wrote: I was reading in another Bucs Fan Forum this morning and the topic of creating a Pirates HOF came up.  I think this would be a great idea especially for old farts like me and Bobster and Mainer.

If this would happen who do you think should go into the first class of the Pirates HOF?   

I thought it was happening next year with Steve Blass going in

It's still fun to say who though.
CarolinaBucco

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Great question. I think the first class would have to be:

* Clemente

* Honus Wagner

* Willie Stargell

I think those three clearly stand above all others, and they would deserve to go in first.

After that, the next round would include Cutch, Parker, Mazeroski, etc...

Okay, what are your thoughts and who am I forgetting?
BenM

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by BenM »

I think we already picked them.

SammyKhalifa

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by SammyKhalifa »

042635282B2E29260532242428470 wrote: Great question. I think the first class would have to be:

* Clemente

* Honus Wagner

* Willie Stargell

I think those three clearly stand above all others, and they would deserve to go in first.

After that, the next round would include Cutch, Parker, Mazeroski, etc...

Okay, what are your thoughts and who am I forgetting?

Kiner and Paul Waner and Probably Pie Traynor and Arky Vaughn would have to be above those second tier too. But yeah like you I thought of recent guys first
Bobster21

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

When they had Steve Blass Day they said they will begin a Pirates' HOF in 2020 and that Blass would be in the initial inductees. I haven't heard any other names yet. I think anyone in the MLB HOF who played primarily as a Pirate has to be in the team's HOF. So those are the obvious ones like Clemente, Stargell, Maz, Wagner, the Waners, Kiner, etc.

So the question would be which non MLB HOFers should also be in a Pirates team HOF. Obviously Blass is in. Off the top of my head I could quickly add Face, Groat, Tekulve, Giusti, Candelaria, Sanguillen, Drabek, Law, Friend, Veale, Van Slyke. I'd include Bonds because of his production as a Pirate before there was any hint of steroids. I'm sure there are also a lot of sentimental choices like Briles or Kison or Moose so it becomes difficult to separate sentiment from mere production. To some degree Blass is a sentimental choice as his production was outstanding but for a limited time.
ArnoldRothstein

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Round up guys like Mazeroski who are still around to enjoy it.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Is it just players?  If not you'd have people like Murtaugh, Leyland, Gunner, Barney Dreyfus and (yes indeed) Greg Brown eventually. 
DemDog

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by DemDog »

1B2925253103202924212E29480 wrote: Is it just players?  If not you'd have people like Murtaugh, Leyland, Gunner, Barney Dreyfus and (yes indeed) Greg Brown eventually. 

Hey, why not non-players? Maybe in special category for contributors. So those above except Greg Brown would be eligible. All of them would be honored for their contributions to Pirate lore.

And since we are in an age of online media why not have the fans be the electors? Of course that could allow ballot stuffing for guys like "Bald Joe" Block. Block and I have the same kind of haircut and I have to say I am embarrassed that I have to share it with him. ;D
SammyKhalifa

Pirates HOF . . .

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Man, I am not a fan of letting the fans vote on this sort of thing. Look what it's done to the all star game.

I know Greg Brown would be controversial for some but I think he's been a big contributor to Pirates lore, even before his announcing days when he introduced playing "We are Fam-i-lee" into the games. Liking his style is subjective, but I think he's introduced things ("Raise the Jolly Roger!") that will endure. I mean I wouldn't do it until he's ready to retire, but absolutely I think he would be. Kids from today will look back at him like kids of yesterday look at Bob Prince.