Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Spring Training Baseball

Post by steve49 »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote: Listening to the game right now. Glasnow struck out the first 5 Orioles he faced before giving up a broken bat single and then got his 6th K. Throwing 93-95 with changeup at 86.

According to Adam Berry twitter Glasnow hit 98 on stadium gun. I was and still am on the side of not paring Glasnow with Keller or Meadows for the soft throwing #2 lefty. I think Glasnow was messed up a bit last year and trading him off that year would be buffoonery.
By "buffoonery" do you mean "Littlefieldean?"  ;)

What a disaster those years were. Would Daniel Moskos at #4 in 2007 rate as the most insane pick in the history of the draft ? Burlington at #1 was sick but I have to go with taking a pitcher with a ceiling of a middle RP at #4.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Sounds like besides working with a change up Glasnow has tweaked his delivery. I would be very cautious about discussing his name in any future trade scenarios.
Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

2B2C3D2E3D6C61580 wrote: Listening to the game right now. Glasnow struck out the first 5 Orioles he faced before giving up a broken bat single and then got his 6th K. Throwing 93-95 with changeup at 86.

According to Adam Berry twitter Glasnow hit 98 on stadium gun. I was and still am on the side of not paring Glasnow with Keller or Meadows for the soft throwing #2 lefty. I think Glasnow was messed up a bit last year and trading him off that year would be buffoonery.

What a disaster those years were. Would Daniel Moskos at #4 in 2007 rate as the most insane pick in the history of the draft ? Burlington at #1 was sick but I have to go with taking a pitcher with a ceiling of a middle RP at #4.
He described Bullington, the #1 overall pick, as a middle of the rotation guy. He drafted college slugger John Van Ben Schoten #1 but took him as a lousy pitcher. He signed Jeromy Burnitz, Joe Randa, Raul Mondesi and Benito Santiago. What a mastermind! ::)
Ecbucs

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Ecbucs »

3C3B2A392A7B764F0 wrote: Listening to the game right now. Glasnow struck out the first 5 Orioles he faced before giving up a broken bat single and then got his 6th K. Throwing 93-95 with changeup at 86.

I have a hard time saying Bullington was a bad pick as he was going to go in top 3. I think Baseball America had Moskos going in top 10. I was irritated at Moskos pick because I didn't want a reliever but on the other hand I was glad they didn't pick Ross Detwiler as some had projected.
steve49

Spring Training Baseball

Post by steve49 »

577170677161120 wrote: Listening to the game right now. Glasnow struck out the first 5 Orioles he faced before giving up a broken bat single and then got his 6th K. Throwing 93-95 with changeup at 86.

I have a hard time saying Bullington was a bad pick as he was going to go in top 3.  I think Baseball America had Moskos going in top 10.  I was irritated at Moskos pick because I didn't want a reliever but on the other hand I was glad they didn't pick Ross Detwiler as some had projected.

As I remember it the Moskos pick was a shocker. But I by no means can remember if he was rated highly by BA. I think back then Pirates no doubt paid a lot of attention to the "signability" issue. So I guess you cant throw the pile of poop totally in Littlefiled's lap.
sdimmick3

Spring Training Baseball

Post by sdimmick3 »

I heard the announcer say that Glasnow had a small hitch....not that he was doing it every pitch, but that it was almost something that looked like he meant to do it that specific pitch. the thought in my head was a hitch like lockes.
Bobster21

Spring Training Baseball

Post by Bobster21 »

697E737777737971291A0 wrote: I heard the announcer say that Glasnow had a small hitch....not that he was doing it every pitch, but that it was almost something that looked like he meant to do it that specific pitch.  the thought in my head was a hitch like lockes.
Per the Trib:

There was a new twist to Glasnow's delivery — a slight rocking motion and slide-step — that kept batters off balance.

At the start of his windup, Glasnow came forward, leaned back for an instant, then went to the plate. Some of the inspiration for his slide step came from watching Tony Watson on the mound.

“I'm a big, tall guy, and I can drift forward pretty easily,” Glasnow said. “I started doing it in the offseason, and it felt nice. Thanks, Tony.”

The delivery is smooth, compact and relaxed. It helps Glasnow keep a consistent release point.

Glasnow said he had a tendency to tip his pitches early in the process of learning the slide step but has corrected that problem.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1198 ... asnow-game
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1017061506575A630 wrote: Listening to the game right now. Glasnow struck out the first 5 Orioles he faced before giving up a broken bat single and then got his 6th K. Throwing 93-95 with changeup at 86.

I have a hard time saying Bullington was a bad pick as he was going to go in top 3.  I think Baseball America had Moskos going in top 10.  I was irritated at Moskos pick because I didn't want a reliever but on the other hand I was glad they didn't pick Ross Detwiler as some had projected.

As I remember it the Moskos pick was a shocker. But I by no means can remember if he was rated highly by BA. I think back then Pirates no doubt paid a lot of attention to the "signability" issue. So I guess you cant throw the pile of poop totally in Littlefiled's lap.

The Moskos pick was awful. Many had him going in the first round, but not that high. Especially, with Weiters sitting there. I was under the impression that Moskos was drafted because he could make it to the majors faster as he was projected to be a relief pitcher.

Van Benschoten was surprised he was slected as a pitcher too. The whole league was surprised.

I didn't mind Bullington that much. At least he was the top college pitcher in the draft at the time. Upton should have been the pick at #1.

Littlefield was bad. Really bad. Also the reason I gave Huntington and company more time because Littlefield really destroyed the farm. Littlefield set the Pirates back years, years.
PMike

Spring Training Baseball

Post by PMike »

456865747362753536070 wrote: Did they say how many change ups he threw?
Not that I heard.

The post game show stated that he did use his change up. They didn't give any numbers, but it seemed like it was more than once or twice. It seemed as if he was intentionally sprinkling it in. I think he used it once or twice on Machado before blowing 2 fastballs past him.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Baseball

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0A1733313F5A0 wrote: Did they say how many change ups he threw?
Not that I heard.

The post game show stated that he did use his change up.  They didn't give any numbers, but it seemed like it was more than once or twice.  It seemed as if he was intentionally sprinkling it in.  I think he used it once or twice on Machado before blowing 2 fastballs past him.

All I heard was a quote from him saying he was happy about how his changeup and two seamer were working. So from that I imply that he was using both of those pitches (some real deducing there on my part, haha).