Tyson Ross

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Tyson Ross

Post by steve49 »

5E78796E78681B0 wrote: This is sort of a dream come true for the Pirates.  He is a very successful ground ball pitcher who has no strings attached.  How about an incentive based contract with option year(s).

Baseball doesn't allow incentive based contracts.  Players can get bonuses for all star appearances or awards, but not actual stats.  Pitchers can get appearance bonuses too.

Why would players sign one when they can get a guarantee contract?

No one has offered him a guaranteed contract...yet.

Incentive based contracts are allowed as long as they about award based or games played, innings pitched, etc. sorts of incentives.

If he hits 150 IP, the contract kicks in for the next year or two.

for me a lot depends upon whether the team thinks he can pitch (and how much) in 2017.  I don't know what the recovery rate is for this type of surgery so medical issues are the big question.

Shoulder injuries are brutal. That's no doubt why the Padres' didn't tender him.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Tyson Ross

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I read he may wait until Closer to the season to sign to show he is ready. I'm not sure if that will Back fire or not.
SammyKhalifa

Tyson Ross

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm coming more and more on board that we should do this.

Free agent right-hander Tyson Ross, who has been recovering from thoracic outlet surgery since October, is likely to sign with a team that’s adept at “handling and rehabilitating pitchers,” Rosenthal writes. One such club is the Padres, who non-tendered Ross last week in lieu of paying him an estimated $9.6MM in 2017. San Diego and Ross have mutual interest in a reunion, though, and Rosenthal notes that Ross’ affinity for Friars pitching coach Darren Balsley could help their cause. Other possibilities for Ross include the Cubs – who have tried to acquire Ross in the past – as well as the Indians, Pirates, Mariners and Giants, per Rosenthal.

CTBucco

Tyson Ross

Post by CTBucco »

I think a deal could be made that makes sense for both sides. Maybe he gets a $4M base with innings based incentives that kick in this year and can bring him up to $7-8M. Or maybe they pay more up front this year and get a team option for $10-12M for next year? Of course, the latter approach would really depend on the team having confidence in his recovery/medicals.

There are some rumors on MLBTR about guys like Jorge de la Rosa and Doug Fister. Meh. I'd rather roll the dice on Ross.
SammyKhalifa

Tyson Ross

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5B4C5A6D7B7B77180 wrote: I think a deal could be made that makes sense for both sides.  Maybe he gets a $4M base with innings based incentives that kick in this year and can bring him up to $7-8M.  Or maybe they pay more up front this year and get a team option for $10-12M for next year?  Of course, the latter approach would really depend on the team having confidence in his recovery/medicals.

There are some rumors on MLBTR about guys like Jorge de la Rosa and Doug Fister.  Meh.  I'd rather roll the dice on Ross.

Haven't the Bucs been mentioned with de la Rosa several different times through the years now?
BucsFaninGA

Tyson Ross

Post by BucsFaninGA »

About time Huntington worked his magic on this guy. Bring him to the Burg!

Beat'em Bucs
rucker59@gmail.com

Tyson Ross

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Not a chance the Pirates sign Ross. Missed basically the entire 2016 season and his recovery is unknown. If he goes for cheap it will be the Padres; if it takes ~$10M the Pirates will not be involved.