Neil Walker cleared waivers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

2E252D2124253E7B7D0A332B2225256429254A0 wrote: Neil Walker cleared waivers yesterday.  He just made his first start at 1B the other day and has one start at 3B too.

Let's bring them all back.  Bring back Walker too.

Now you're talking.  That's the kind of move a team looking to compete for the next 47 games makes.   

Would take very little based on the Bruce trade.   Just absorb salary. Improve the bench. Improve depth. Spot start. Quality bat vs RHP
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

Neil's making $17.2M this year. He'd be owed another ~$4.5M. The cost shouldn't be a big issue, but it probably is.

The problem will be where to get him AB's. I don't think playing him at 3B would be too big of a problem. His limited range is less of a problem there, and he played it quite a bit in the minors -

although that was long ago now.

There are JayHay, Freese, Frazier, and NW to get AB's. I can see platooning NW and Freese at 3B. Frazier probably loses ABs that way which is a shame, but Neil definitely brings more to the lineup against RHP. And, if Cutch misses time because of this knee issue, then it makes a lot of sense since Jay Hay and Frazier can take OF starts.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

64736552444448270 wrote: Neil's making $17.2M this year.  He'd be owed another ~$4.5M.  The cost shouldn't be a big issue, but it probably is.

The problem will be where to get him AB's.  I don't think playing him at 3B would be too big of a problem.  His limited range is less of a problem there, and he played it quite a bit in the minors -

although that was long ago now.

There are JayHay, Freese, Frazier, and NW to get AB's.  I can see platooning NW and Freese at 3B.  Frazier probably loses ABs that way which is a shame, but Neil definitely brings more to the lineup against RHP.  And, if Cutch misses time because of this knee issue, then it makes a lot of sense since Jay Hay and Frazier can take OF starts.

The closer we get to August 31, the less he's owed. At the minimum, he's a legit lh bat and injury insurance.

The way hurdle rests players he would get plenty of time.

I'm sure they're saying it's not worth it though. 3-4 million and some scrub prospect for Walker down the stretch.

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Polanco pulled his hammy again.    It's time to make a move right now.   

Don't even wait 24 hours just pull the trigger on another quality player. If it's Walker, SRod and Frazier can fill in the OF.  jHay can play 3rd and Walker 2nd to spell freese

Doesn't have to be Walker. Just someone quality.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Jay Bruce would look great about now!
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

MLB reporting that Walker is about to become a Brewer.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0A233F2A272822777F727E460 wrote: Jay Bruce would look great about now!

Sorry - can't mention that on here.

(Even if it is the truth....)