Neil Walker cleared waivers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Neil Walker cleared waivers yesterday.  He just made his first start at 1B the other day and has one start at 3B too.

Let's bring them all back.  Bring back Walker too.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I wonder if he'd be able to stay on the field.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

He would be a left handed bat off the bench. He can replace Jaso. It's not like Jaso will play the outfield anymore.

If you think the S-Rod trade brought the excitement, what would Walker bring?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

If we got him I'd want it to be to play 2nd or 3rd.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

How much is he getting paid and for how long?  If Kang is done then I like the move with him as a 3b/2b platoon option.

Edit- ok, I see he is just signed through this year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

He wouldn't start. But he could give Freese a break and is left handed. He hasn't hit very well right handed this year. I have no idea how much he is owed or how healthy he is at this point.

I would rather give him at bats than Jaso or Rodriguez (depending on the match up).
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think that if he doesn't start (or platoon) and just filling in/pinch hitting, then there are probably better options. If he can play third or 2nd with Harrison manning the other spot then it isn't a bad idea.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

794B47475361424B46434C4B2A0 wrote: I think that if he doesn't start (or platoon) and just filling in/pinch hitting, then there are probably better options.  If he can play third or 2nd with Harrison manning the other spot then it isn't a bad idea. 

Is he better than Freese? I don't see Freese getting benched, but maybe platooned some with the right match ups.

Jaso won't play the outfield much (if any) anymore. Walker is better than Jaso and can probably play more positions. One game at 1B and 3B this year doesn't mean Walker is a legit player at those positions. Rodriguez and Osuna can play 1B. Jaso's role diminished a ton with Rodriguez. Walker can be the lefty on the bench.

Yes, I agree there are better options. I am just saying Walker is out there. He was a big part of the turn around here in Pittsburgh. Bring him back...get the team back together (ha ha).
notes34

Post by notes34 »

6D666E6267667D383E497068616666276A66090 wrote: I think that if he doesn't start (or platoon) and just filling in/pinch hitting, then there are probably better options.  If he can play third or 2nd with Harrison manning the other spot then it isn't a bad idea. 

Is he better than Freese?  I don't see Freese getting benched, but maybe platooned some with the right match ups. 

Jaso won't play the outfield much (if any) anymore.  Walker is better than Jaso and can probably play more positions.  One game at 1B and 3B this year doesn't mean Walker is a legit player at those positions.  Rodriguez and Osuna can play 1B.  Jaso's role diminished a ton with Rodriguez.  Walker can be the lefty on the bench.

Yes, I agree there are better options.  I am just saying Walker is out there.  He was a big part of the turn around here in Pittsburgh.  Bring him back...get the team back together (ha ha).

At this point I would have to say no. What would you do with him? He hits for more power than Freese but you can't deny Freese's .OBP and he has a pretty good glove. S-Rod will be playing a lot and he is much more versatile. Same with Frazier. He is much better than Jaso but no way you can bring him in to sit and only PH.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

38392233256562560 wrote: I think that if he doesn't start (or platoon) and just filling in/pinch hitting, then there are probably better options.  If he can play third or 2nd with Harrison manning the other spot then it isn't a bad idea. 

Is he better than Freese?  I don't see Freese getting benched, but maybe platooned some with the right match ups. 

Jaso won't play the outfield much (if any) anymore.  Walker is better than Jaso and can probably play more positions.  One game at 1B and 3B this year doesn't mean Walker is a legit player at those positions.  Rodriguez and Osuna can play 1B.  Jaso's role diminished a ton with Rodriguez.  Walker can be the lefty on the bench.

Yes, I agree there are better options.  I am just saying Walker is out there.  He was a big part of the turn around here in Pittsburgh.  Bring him back...get the team back together (ha ha).

At this point I would have to say no. What would you do with him? He hits for more power than Freese but you can't deny Freese's .OBP and he has a pretty good glove. S-Rod will be playing a lot and he is much more versatile. Same with Frazier. He is much better than Jaso but no way you can bring him in to sit and only PH.

When Freese rests a bit he looks so much better -- which is happening right now. S-Rod helps that out.

A couple of guys getting hot. Frazier seems to need a little rest too. He seemed to struggle playing every day. Plug him in a few times a week and he is raking again. Not sure where you'd put Walker at this point ... After a few games the S-Rod trade is sure looking good.