Newman or Gonzalez...Who is winning the competition for SS

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

sgrx

Post by sgrx »

I'm wondering when Cole Tucker starts entering the conversation. I'm guessing next spring but he is having a better spring than both of the others. I realize that he's probably not ready yet, but I hope he is pushing them.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5145505A220 wrote: I'm wondering when Cole Tucker starts entering the conversation.  I'm guessing next spring but he is having a better spring than both of the others.  I realize that he's probably not ready yet, but I hope he is pushing them. 
Good point. In a perfect Pirate world, Tucker is further developed at AAA this year while Gonzalez and/or Newman more than adequately fill the SS spot. But....if Gonzalez and Newman both struggle all season and Tucker excels at AAA, the Tucker watch will begin sooner rather than later.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5440555F270 wrote: I'm wondering when Cole Tucker starts entering the conversation.  I'm guessing next spring but he is having a better spring than both of the others.  I realize that he's probably not ready yet, but I hope he is pushing them. 

I think late this summer.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Give me Bobster or Possum over either. I'm guessing they both can hit better than Gonzo for starters. Not thrilled with either option - that is Gonzo or Newman.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

05151423353539560 wrote: Give me Bobster or Possum over either.  I'm guessing they both can hit better than Gonzo for starters.  Not thrilled with either option - that is Gonzo or Newman.
You've made a wise choice. ;D ;D ;D
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

597479686F7E69292A1B0 wrote: Give me Bobster or Possum over either.  I'm guessing they both can hit better than Gonzo for starters.  Not thrilled with either option - that is Gonzo or Newman.
You've made a wise choice.  ;D ;D ;D

Yes, a very wise choice!   ;D ;D ;D ;D And I can switch hit too!
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I expect around a .700 OPS and some power from Gonzalez.   In my opinion, he should definitely start.

He's 6'3" 205.  I think he should have 10-12 HRs just by accident, getting regular at bats over a full season.  Jordy had no power at all, and similar size and that's about what he did.   

So if the defense is TRULY good to great, he could be a 2-3 WAR shortstop if he can OPS around .700.

If they can get his swing fixed, with his size maybe he will get up into that 15-18 HR range down the road? That's always a possibility.    

Is the defense for real?    Org has a long track record of not having the slightest clue what good defense looks like.  We may want to wait on that assessment lol.

notes34

Post by notes34 »

3E373F2E205A0 wrote: I expect around a .700 OPS and some power from Gonzalez.   In my opinion, he should definitely start.

He's 6'3" 205.  I think he should have 10-12 HRs just by accident, getting regular at bats over a full season.  Jordy had no power at all, and similar size and that's about what he did.   

So if the defense is TRULY good to great, he could be a 2-3 WAR shortstop if he can OPS around .700. 

If they can get his swing fixed, with his size maybe he will get up into that 15-18 HR range down the road? That's always a possibility.     

Is the defense for real?    Org has a long track record of not having the slightest clue what good defense looks like.  We may want to wait on that assessment lol.

Baseball Reference has him projected for 7 HR's in 283 AB's. With an .OPS of .703. I would think you are right on the mark with a whole season of AB's.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

404941505E240 wrote: I expect around a .700 OPS and some power from Gonzalez.   In my opinion, he should definitely start.

Is the defense for real?    [highlight]Org has a long track record of not having the slightest clue what good defense looks like[/highlight].  We may want to wait on that assessment lol.

have you forgotten about Ronny Cedeno already?
mouse

Post by mouse »

Does the loser in this mix get traded?