Alex Cobb?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SpeedyG

Alex Cobb?

Post by SpeedyG »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: If you get Cobb, who are you bumping from the rotation?

There is too much emphasis put on the slotting of pitchers 1-5. 

I'd bump any of Nova, Kuhl, Musgrove, or Williams. Cobb is an upgrade over all four of them.

Nova is Nova. He'll probably be our Brian Meadows guy by the end of the season, anyways. Maybe he pitches like he did when we traded for him and in the first half of 2017. Maybe. More likely, he pitches like Ivan Nova.

I like the potential of the other three guys (and would rather have any of them over Nova), but any of them could be useful to the team out of the bullpen. I think it is foolish to pass on an immediate upgrade in the hopes that one of our young guys can match Cobb's production at some point in their careers.
Bobster21

Alex Cobb?

Post by Bobster21 »

The Cobb argument boils down to whether the team is rebuilding or competing. They say they're competing but appear to b rebuilding. If competing, Cobb would be an immediate upgrade in the rotation. If rebuilding, he would be blocking someone else. I don't know the answer because the FO has not been honest with the fans.
sdimmick3

Alex Cobb?

Post by sdimmick3 »

lets face it, they aint paying him what he wants anyways. someone will once a starter gets hurt. degrom has a bad back, the mets could be that team and so could the Phils or Nats based on their interest in Arrieta.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Alex Cobb?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6E79747070747E762E1D0 wrote: lets face it, they aint paying him what he wants anyways.  someone will once a starter gets hurt.  degrom has a bad back, the mets could be that team and so could the Phils or Nats based on their interest in Arrieta.

No one is paying him what he wants. It's not just the Pirates.
SammyKhalifa

Alex Cobb?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Last I heard he was asking for 20MM/yr or something like that. Cubs offered him 3/42. Now does he go down or does a team get desperate? We won't send him 20 but if he decides he doesn't want to sit out we could be in. Maybe he'll be one of those one year deal guys and try again next offseason.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Alex Cobb?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

60525E5E4A785B525F5A5552330 wrote: Last I heard he was asking for 20MM/yr or something like that.  Cubs offered him 3/42.    Now does he go down or does a team get desperate?  We won't send him 20 but if he decides he doesn't want to sit out we could be in.  Maybe he'll be one of those one year deal guys and try again next offseason.

He made $4 million last year. That's a big jump.

Is he in the MLB Union Camp? I wish I could turn down $14 million a year or a 300% pay increase. That is also why fans are leaning towards the owner side. It's like 1994 all over again.
ChickenWing

Alex Cobb?

Post by ChickenWing »

604D40515647501013220 wrote: The Cobb argument boils down to whether the team is rebuilding or competing. They say they're competing but appear to b rebuilding. If competing, Cobb would be an immediate upgrade in the rotation. If rebuilding, he would be blocking someone else. I don't know the answer because the FO has not been honest with the fans.
i agree. i really think this team can compete with the others with an addition of a starting pitcher. we all know we need 5-8 starters throughout the year. its been documented how well Musgrove pitched out of the pen. and others can fill in where needed. I would like Cobb... or Arrieta. I really do not care for Arrieta as a player but we need some kind of attitude to go with this seems like "ho-hum" vibe with this team
Ecbucs

Alex Cobb?

Post by Ecbucs »

0B20212B232D261F21262F480 wrote: The Cobb argument boils down to whether the team is rebuilding or competing. They say they're competing but appear to b rebuilding. If competing, Cobb would be an immediate upgrade in the rotation. If rebuilding, he would be blocking someone else. I don't know the answer because the FO has not been honest with the fans.
i agree. i really think this team can compete with the others with an addition of a starting pitcher. we all know we need 5-8 starters throughout the year. its been documented how well Musgrove pitched out of the pen. and others can fill in where needed. I would like Cobb... or Arrieta. I really do not care for Arrieta as a player but we need some kind of attitude to go with this seems like "ho-hum" vibe with this team

what message or messages would signing Arietta send?

The Bucs are serious about contending?

Arietta thinks the Bucs have a chance?

Arietta is desparate?
SammyKhalifa

Alex Cobb?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

745253445242310 wrote: The Cobb argument boils down to whether the team is rebuilding or competing. They say they're competing but appear to b rebuilding. If competing, Cobb would be an immediate upgrade in the rotation. If rebuilding, he would be blocking someone else. I don't know the answer because the FO has not been honest with the fans.

what message or messages would signing Arietta send?

The Bucs are serious about contending?

Arietta thinks the Bucs have a chance?

Arietta is desparate?

Eh, I think it would be a sign that the pirates can't predict a huge regression in a pitcher.
Quail

Alex Cobb?

Post by Quail »

436E63727564733330010 wrote: The Cobb argument boils down to whether the team is rebuilding or competing. They say they're competing but appear to b rebuilding. If competing, Cobb would be an immediate upgrade in the rotation. If rebuilding, he would be blocking someone else. I don't know the answer because the FO has not been honest with the fans.

This sums it up pretty well. Cobb is certainly worth considering if the Pirates are competing. Big "IF". And even if competing is the intent this FO/ownership seldom loosens the purse strings enough for a mid-level free agent signing.