Alex Cobb?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Alex Cobb?

Post by MaineBucs »

Quite a few posters are suggesting that the Bucs should take steps to upgrade their starting rotation. When I look at the remaining options on the free agent market I am not jumping up and down and feeling really positive about any of them.

I would really avoid Arrieta - too expensive for too many years and appears to be entering a decline phase after peaking about 2 years ago.

I don't view Lynn as being a real upgrade over most of the younger pitchers available to the Bucs, except that he has a longer record of success.

One pitcher who I have never seen pitch who appears to be someone who could offer value is Alex Cobb. MLB Trade Rumors suggested it would take 4 years at $48 mil to sign him. With what appears to be a growing trend to both front load contracts and to offer an early opt out to the player, could the Bucs structure a deal in which they land Cobb's services in return for the ability to reenter the market and make another run at a longer term deal. Perhaps something along the following lines.

4 years at $52 mil. Year 1, $16 mil, and Year 2, $16 mil, with an opt out after two years. Years 3 and 4 at $10 mil each.

Cobb strikes me as a #3 at best, but he has produced in the past, and may get a bump from pitching in the NL.

The Bucs appear to have the payroll room to add Cobb at the numbers I suggest, particularly if they move either Freese or Rodriguez. Signing Cobb also wouldn't reduce the current talent in Pittsburgh except for the player who would have to come off the roster to add Cobb.

Just a thought.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Alex Cobb?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Who are you replacing in the current rotation if you sign Cobb?

How much better is Cobb over the other guys who would step in if there are struggles or injuries?
SteadyFreddy

Alex Cobb?

Post by SteadyFreddy »

He isn’t any worse then guys such as Kuhl, Williams,Brault, or Musgrove. I wouldn’t mind signing him but I doubt it will happen.
SCBucco

Alex Cobb?

Post by SCBucco »

3A31393530312A6F691E273F363131703D315E0 wrote: Who are you replacing in the current rotation if you sign Cobb?

How much better is Cobb over the other guys who would step in if there are struggles or injuries?

He is better than anyone after Nova in our rotation.  Pretty simple to me.  Don't even think he isn't better than Kuhl, or Williams or whoever else as an option (Brault, Musgrove, et al).
SCBucco

Alex Cobb?

Post by SCBucco »

527564606578477364656578010 wrote: He isn’t any worse then guys such as Kuhl, Williams,Brault, or Musgrove. I wouldn’t mind signing him but I doubt it will happen.

I doubt it happens. Maybe we should get the pitch forks out again on NH. He listened with Dickerson and surprise - he delivered.
Bobster21

Alex Cobb?

Post by Bobster21 »

6F7F7E495F5F533C0 wrote: He isn’t any worse then guys such as Kuhl, Williams,Brault, or Musgrove. I wouldn’t mind signing him but I doubt it will happen.

I doubt it happens.  Maybe we should get the pitch forks out again on NH.  He listened with Dickerson and surprise - he delivered.
I think you're on to something.
SCBucco

Alex Cobb?

Post by SCBucco »

5D707D6C6B7A6D2D2E1F0 wrote: He isn’t any worse then guys such as Kuhl, Williams,Brault, or Musgrove. I wouldn’t mind signing him but I doubt it will happen.

I doubt it happens.  Maybe we should get the pitch forks out again on NH.  He listened with Dickerson and surprise - he delivered.
I think you're on to something.

I liked that.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Alex Cobb?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't see a need to bring in a another pitcher.  I would rather have the young guys play to see what they can do.  They all need a chance eventually.

Cobb would probably be one of team's best pitcher.  I wanted him last year and the year before.  Going forward, I am hoping the current guys are even better than what Cobb would provide.

Among Taillon, Kuhl, Williams, Musgrove, Brault, Glasnow, Kingham, Holmes, and Eppler some have to pan out.  Then you have bigger prospects down the road in Keller and Baz.  The Pirates also have a bunch of 23-25 year olds in the Double A and Triple A who might be fillers now, but could also make some kind of impact. 
SammyKhalifa

Alex Cobb?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

If you can get him for a few years, this is the guy out of all the FA pitchers that I'd go for.
SCBucco

Alex Cobb?

Post by SCBucco »

6D666E6267667D383E497068616666276A66090 wrote: I don't see a need to bring in a another pitcher.  I would rather have the young guys play to see what they can do.  They all need a chance eventually.

Cobb would probably be one of team's best pitcher.  I wanted him last year and the year before.  Going forward, I am hoping the current guys are even better than what Cobb would provide.

Among Taillon, Kuhl, Williams, Musgrove, Brault, Glasnow, Kingham, Holmes, and Eppler some have to pan out.  Then you have bigger prospects down the road in Keller and Baz.  The Pirates also have a bunch of 23-25 year olds in the Double A and Triple A who might be fillers now, but could also make some kind of impact. 

And sadly, you will be saying the same thing about our starting pitching next year that give them a chance ... some of them have to work out. You are all about status quo.