Something to Think About This Offseason

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

Turner, Reyaldo Lopez and Spencer Kieboom....
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Trea Turner is a special talent. I am surprised the Padres traded him. I doubt the Nationals want to part with him.

The Pirates actually drafted Turner in 2011 (20th round) but he didn't sign. That stinks thinking how the Pirates could have had Turner.

I often wonder what the Pirates would look like if they were just worse than the Nationals for a few years. Strasburg and Harper could be Pirates. I think of having Rendon too as he got hurt in college and was a question mark at draft time but entered the college season as the best player.

I would probably trade McCutchen for Turner. I just doubt the Nationals would and then throw in others.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

3239313D3839226761162F373E3939783539560 wrote: Trea Turner is a special talent.  I am surprised the Padres traded him.  I doubt the Nationals want to part with him.

The Pirates actually drafted Turner in 2011 (20th round) but he didn't sign.  That stinks thinking how the Pirates could have had Turner.

I often wonder what the Pirates would look like if they were just worse than the Nationals for a few years.  Strasburg and Harper could be Pirates.  I think of having Rendon too as he got hurt in college and was a question mark at draft time but entered the college season as the best player.

I would probably trade McCutchen for Turner.  I just doubt the Nationals would and then throw in others.

There were rumors that Washington called Anaheim for Trout. Right now, that is an organization desparate for winning a title. I don't think they are afraid to mortgage the farm. I wouldn't trade Cutch for Turner straight up. Cutch is far more proven than Turner. They would have to add. They have a pitching prospect that would look great. I don't see a good 1B prospect in their farm system, so another good prospect.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0818192E3838345B0 wrote: Trea Turner is a special talent.  I am surprised the Padres traded him.  I doubt the Nationals want to part with him.

The Pirates actually drafted Turner in 2011 (20th round) but he didn't sign.  That stinks thinking how the Pirates could have had Turner.

I often wonder what the Pirates would look like if they were just worse than the Nationals for a few years.  Strasburg and Harper could be Pirates.  I think of having Rendon too as he got hurt in college and was a question mark at draft time but entered the college season as the best player.

I would probably trade McCutchen for Turner.  I just doubt the Nationals would and then throw in others.

There were rumors that Washington called Anaheim for Trout.  Right now, that is an organization desparate for winning a title.  I don't think they are afraid to mortgage the farm.  I wouldn't trade Cutch for Turner straight up.  Cutch is far more proven than Turner.  They would have to add.  They have a pitching prospect that would look great.  I don't see a good 1B prospect in their farm system, so another good prospect.
Whatever we may think of them, it's refreshing to hear about a team desperate for winning a title rather than desperate for financial flexibility. The flexibility to do what? To keep it's core without adding? To sign reclamation projects? To maintain a bottom MLB payroll?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

092429383F2E39797A4B0 wrote: Trea Turner is a special talent.  I am surprised the Padres traded him.  I doubt the Nationals want to part with him.

There were rumors that Washington called Anaheim for Trout.  Right now, that is an organization desparate for winning a title.  I don't think they are afraid to mortgage the farm.  I wouldn't trade Cutch for Turner straight up.  Cutch is far more proven than Turner.  They would have to add.  They have a pitching prospect that would look great.  I don't see a good 1B prospect in their farm system, so another good prospect.
Whatever we may think of them, it's refreshing to hear about a team desperate for winning a title rather than desperate for financial flexibility. The flexibility to do what? To keep it's core without adding? To sign reclamation projects? To maintain a bottom MLB payroll?

I would relish the day where the Pirates go out and grab a Scherzer off the free agency pool and look to acquire a dude like Trout. That is the difference ... they get him, we trade for Jon Neise and sign John Jaso. It will never happen in my lifetime as long as Nutting is the owner.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Regarding next year, the Trib reported that Hurdle will consider switching Marte and Cutch in the OF. i suspect that is going to happen.

Hurdle said one focus of the club is to improve defensively next season. How much could the Pirates improve by placing their best defensive outfielder, Starling Marte, in center and moving McCutchen to left?

“I think we've gone through dynamics and models of trying to figure that out. Then you are also going to have conversations with individuals about making a move,” Hurdle said. “It's an interesting thought to kick around.”

The Marte-McCutchen dilemma is complicated by the depth of PNC Park's left field.

“Everybody on the street talks to me about center field (but) Marte makes plays in left that I don't know if any other left fielder in the game can make,” Hurdle said. “It really plays out well for us defensively.”

According to defensive runs saved, McCutchen has not been an above-average center fielder since 2012.

“Last year, Andrew and I continued to talk about everything about the team and how we are best served moving forward,” Hurdle said. “Those are just conversations that we had last year that we'll have again this winter.”

Starting pitching was also addressed.

Gerrit Cole and Jameson Taillon are locks, if healthy, for the 2017 rotation, Hurdle said. But beyond the No. 1 overall pick of the 2011 draft and the No. 2 overall pick of the 2010 draft, Hurdle made no projections.

“You've got to like the development of (Chad) Kuhl,” Hurdle said. “To look forward to what we can do to help the development of (Tyler) Glasnow, of (Steven) Brault. ... (Drew) Hutchison and guys who came up here and performed. Trevor Williams is another guy that's a very interesting guy for me moving forward, to see what he can bring, where he would fit. Those are just the internal guys. ... I'm looking forward to having a conversation about how they fit and where they fit.”

Hurdle said the team ideally would have a veteran presence — or two — in the rotation. The club would like to bring Ivan Nova back and has made multiple contract offers to the right-hander.

“We've talked about different ways to cut it up,” Hurdle said. “It's going to depend on who's available, what budget is available.”

The free-agent market for starting pitching is thin.
mouse

Post by mouse »

There is no question in my mind that A.J. made a significant contribution from that 'veteran' arm category. That was in part because of his history as a good pitcher, his ability, and just his personality. I doubt Nova has those characteristics, although he does appear to be the most solid (at least for the part of the year I've seen him) of the available choices. Trades are likely to be a very, very expensive approach and the free agents are thin on the ground.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Is it possible that Marte plays LF at PNC Park and CF on the road? I think that would be ideal. Like Hurdle said, Marte is the best to play LF at PNC Park because of its shape.

I expect Kuhl to be in the rotation. I can't see how he doesn't get a chance.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

56544E485E3B0 wrote: There is no question in my mind that A.J. made a significant contribution from that 'veteran' arm category. That was in part because of his history as a good pitcher, his ability, and just his personality. I doubt Nova has those characteristics, although he does appear to be the most solid (at least for the part of the year I've seen him) of the available choices. Trades are likely to be a very, very expensive approach and the free agents are thin on the ground.

Yes, trades would be on the expensive front as far as giving up pieces, but its the only way the Pirates are going to be able to acquire pieces without getting into a bidding war. So, the choices are grab substandard pieces on the free agent bone pile or make a trade. Not a hard one.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

252E262A2F2E357076013820292E2E6F222E410 wrote: Is it possible that Marte plays LF at PNC Park and CF on the road?  I think that would be ideal. Like Hurdle said, Marte is the best to play LF at PNC Park because of its shape.

I expect Kuhl to be in the rotation. I can't see how he doesn't get a chance.

Kuhn should get a serious look as the number five in the rotation. Cole, Taillon, Nova (if resigned), free agent pickup/trade and then Kuhl. I left off Glasnow for a reason as well as Brault. They aren't ready.