Starting Pitching Depth

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Man, you know I'm not one of the kinds that say that the Pirates "blew it" whenever anything goes wrong, and were lucky whenever anything goes well.  But of the 8 SP we used in '15, one was Casey Sadler for one start, 8 were from Vance Worley for eight.  The sixth starter was JA Happ who was only here for the end of the season, so yeah the entire rotation was stable and healthy with five guys for most of the year.  It's not a Pirate thing--any team to get through the season with that dependable a rotation is lucky.  Not meant to denigrate the pirates in any way really. It worked well--I'm just not sure you should depend on it working that way every season else you're left in a big lurch when something happens and you don't have contingencies.

I think I like most of our "depth" type guys like you list, but I'd prefer another rotation piece going in, knowing full well that typically injuries and ineffectiveness happens somewhere within those five starters.  The Jason Hammel idea is interesting to me, and I thought that a one year deal for something like what Bartolo Colon got would have been a good idea too.
notes34

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by notes34 »

63515D5D497B58515C595651300 wrote: Man, you know I'm not one of the kinds that say that the Pirates "blew it" whenever anything goes wrong, and were lucky whenever anything goes well.  But of the 8 SP we used in '15, one was Casey Sadler for one start, 8 were from Vance Worley for eight.  The sixth starter was JA Happ who was only here for the end of the season, so yeah the entire rotation was stable and healthy with five guys for most of the year.  It's not a Pirate thing--any team to get through the season with that dependable a rotation is lucky.  Not meant to denigrate the pirates in any way really.  It worked well--I'm just not sure you should depend on it working that way every season else you're left in a big lurch when something happens and you don't have contingencies. 

I think I like most of our "depth" type guys like you list, but I'd prefer another rotation piece going in, knowing full well that typically injuries and ineffectiveness happens somewhere within those five starters.  The Jason Hammel idea is interesting to me, and I thought that a one year deal for something like what Bartolo Colon got would have been a good idea too.
This is exactly how I feel about the situation. I would really like too see Jason Hammel brought in, especially if he would do a 1 year deal. If its only a 1 year and he doesn't perform or one of the other pitchers takes his spot no big deal. We really need one more established pitcher. I like Cole, Taillon, Nova, and Kuhl. If Glasnow is ready (big if) we would be good. I am not the biggest fan of Glasnow, I know he is projected to be a front of the rotation starter but I've seen him pitch in person. There is a lot of work to do yet.
skinnyhorse

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by skinnyhorse »

7B7A6170662621150 wrote: This is exactly how I feel about the situation. I would really like too see Jason Hammel brought in, especially if he would do a 1 year deal. If its only a 1 year and he doesn't perform or one of the other pitchers takes his spot no big deal. We really need one more established pitcher. I like Cole, Taillon, Nova, and Kuhl. If Glasnow is ready (big if) we would be good. I am not the biggest fan of Glasnow, I know he is projected to be a front of the rotation starter but I've seen him pitch in person. There is a lot of work to do yet.

Pitching was a problem last year but the number one problem was Cutch. He was just awful, if he's that bad this year it won't matter how good our staff is, especially if Hurdle bats him in a critical batting order no matter how bad he was. I can't believe Hurdle kept bating him 3rd.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't think McCutchen was the number one problem last year.  Yeah, he had a down year offensively and his defense dropped too.  But no way was he the worse player on the team.

With McCutchen's down year, his season was very similar to Polanco.  He had a better season than Mercer, Harrison, Cervelli, Jaso and Freese.  He led the team in HRs and was second in RBI. 

I understand more is expected based on his season's past, but to say McCutchen was the main issue for a losing season in 2016 is just untrue. That play can't continue, but the other guys need to step up too.
CTBucco

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by CTBucco »

The starting pitching was the biggest problem last year. It was partly hidden by the offense but later was compounded by Cutch's hitting woes as they couldn't outscore teams regularly enough. Also, some of the guys that started hot and covered up Cutch's problems regressed.

The SP problem then spilled over into the bullpen which had some regression of its own (Hughes, Watson, Arky) and got overworked.

If they got the starting pitching of any of the playoff years, they would've made the playoffs again.

I think they missed a big opportunity last year. I think Glasnow is going to need to pitch at the MLB level to learn how to do it. The lost season should've been used to help him learn to deal with and fight through struggling a bit. But maybe the FO thinks he's too fragile to overcome that adversity? And they probably saw themselves as being in the hunt. Hard to give a guy that on-the-job training in a playoff race.
Bobster21

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by Bobster21 »

5A4D5B6C7A7A76190 wrote: I think Glasnow is going to need to pitch at the MLB level to learn how to do it.  The lost season should've been used to help him learn to deal with and fight through struggling a bit.  But maybe the FO thinks he's too fragile to overcome that adversity?  And they probably saw themselves as being in the hunt.  Hard to give a guy that on-the-job training in a playoff race.
Have to disagree. Galsnow's problems of throwing strikes and holding runners should be learned in the minors. Those aren't things that have to be learned vs MLB hitters.
PMike

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by PMike »

103D30212637206063520 wrote: I think Glasnow is going to need to pitch at the MLB level to learn how to do it.  The lost season should've been used to help him learn to deal with and fight through struggling a bit.  But maybe the FO thinks he's too fragile to overcome that adversity?  And they probably saw themselves as being in the hunt.  Hard to give a guy that on-the-job training in a playoff race.
Have to disagree. Galsnow's problems of throwing strikes and holding runners should be learned in the minors. Those aren't things that have to be learned vs MLB hitters.

But he isn't being challenged by those things in the minors. He dominated even at AAA after his adjustment period. Sure, a couple of his peripherals were hight (WHIP, etc). But he was not allowing runs to score. That's the point of the game. It is very clear that the minors are not a challenge for him any longer.
notes34

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by notes34 »

5B4662606E0B0 wrote: I think Glasnow is going to need to pitch at the MLB level to learn how to do it.  The lost season should've been used to help him learn to deal with and fight through struggling a bit.  But maybe the FO thinks he's too fragile to overcome that adversity?  And they probably saw themselves as being in the hunt.  Hard to give a guy that on-the-job training in a playoff race.

But he isn't being challenged by those things in the minors.  He dominated even at AAA after his adjustment period.  Sure, a couple of his peripherals were hight (WHIP, etc).  But he was not allowing runs to score.  That's the point of the game.  It is very clear that the minors are not a challenge for him any longer.
He was still issuing way too many walks. That can certainly be worked on.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Glasnow is a perfect example of how stats don't tell the whole story. He needs to cut down on the walks and get that third pitch. That should happen in the minors, not in the majors.
Bobster21

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by Bobster21 »

54496D6F61040 wrote: I think Glasnow is going to need to pitch at the MLB level to learn how to do it.  The lost season should've been used to help him learn to deal with and fight through struggling a bit.  But maybe the FO thinks he's too fragile to overcome that adversity?  And they probably saw themselves as being in the hunt.  Hard to give a guy that on-the-job training in a playoff race.

But he isn't being challenged by those things in the minors.  He dominated even at AAA after his adjustment period.  Sure, a couple of his peripherals were hight (WHIP, etc).  But he was not allowing runs to score.  That's the point of the game.  It is very clear that the minors are not a challenge for him any longer.
I doubt the org sees it as you do. His gaudy minor league ERA doesn't mean he's ready. He needs to work on control and holding runners and developing another pitch. Those things are going to challenge him wherever he works on it. In 2014, Polanco was tearing up AAA and everyone wanted him promoted, saying he had nothing left to prove in AAA. But NH kept saying there where still things Polanco needed to work on. Few believed him, attributing the delay to Super 2 status. But after Polanco was promoted, it was obvious he still had things to work on in AAA. It's a similar situation with Glasnow.