Starting Pitching Depth

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

What are people's take on the young starting pitching depth?

Outside of Glasnow, not many are hyped or projected to be top of the rotation guys. 

I expect some guys to pitch for the Pirates.  Either in the bullpen or make a spot start.  Two will make the rotation if no one else is brought in.

Williams

Cumpton

Brault

Santana

Kuhl

Hutchison

Partch

Duncan

Kingham

Dickson

(am I missing anyone)

mouse

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by mouse »

Cumpton, I think, is early in recovery from surgery. I don't expect him to contribute at the MLB level this year. Kuhl, Hutchison, and Kingham would be the main ones I'd expect to see.
Aaron

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by Aaron »

When your, "depth," needs to also fill two spots in your rotation, it's not depth at all.

It's desperation.

If we had five starters worthy of a ML rotation, the above list would be acceptable for spot starts, filling in for injuries and some bullpen stints etc.

Organizations that are serious about winning a championship would never pretend that they're close to doing so, when the rotation is halfway between contending and rebuild.
fjk090852-7

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Another pitcher returning from injury who has a shot to pitch in Pittsbugh this year is Casey Sadler.
CarolinaBucco

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I think we have depth, but we certainly don't have PROVEN depth. Not even sure we have quality depth. We have bodies. That's it.

If this team wants to be competitive in 2017, it is absolutely DESPERATE for TWO legitimate starters. By that I mean a proven No. 2 caliber starter, and then a proven No. 4/5 caliber starter.

If the Pirates can do that, they'll have starting pitching depth.

If Neal doesn't get more starting pitching, we're going to see a lot of Hutchison and pitchers of his ilk ... which means a lot of starts that go 4 IP, 8 hits, 5R, 4ER, 1K.

I am dreading it. Neal PLEASE get more pitching.
CutchisaBoss

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Cole, Taillon, and Nova aren't too shabby for our top three. In fact, if Cole is healthy I have no doubt he's back to 2015 form, which would give us a really legit 1/2 punch with him and Taillon.

I think the next two guys will be Hutchison and Glasnow. You don't pay a guy $2.2M in arbitration to be in the triple A rotation, so I think he'll at least get a shot. And I'm thinking/hoping Glasnow will force his way in.

If Glasnow forces his way in, then that gives us 4 legitimate guys and I'm feeling much better about our depth.
fjk090852-7

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think going into spring training that Chad Kuhl is penciled in as the fourth starter. I too would like to see the Bucs sign another veteran pitcher, but with about two weeks remaining before camp begins I doubt that they sign anyone. The remaining group of free agent pitchers is getting very thin
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4666756869070 wrote: When your, "depth," needs to also fill two spots in your rotation, it's not depth at all.

It's desperation.

If we had five starters worthy of a ML rotation, the above list would be acceptable for spot starts, filling in for injuries and some bullpen stints etc.

Organizations that are serious about winning a championship would never pretend that they're close to doing so, when the rotation is halfway between contending and rebuild.

I listed ten guys. That's a of guys who can pitch this year. Nine is even a lot if you take out Cumpton.

None of these guys are praised nationally as top of the rotation guys. That's doesn't mean someone won't make an impact.

I think Kuhl and Hutchison fill out the rotation. I am actually ok with that. I think Kuhl can be very special, but he isn't get that hype. That's why I asked what people thought. I do think a lot of teams would love to have these ten guys with one or two being their fifth man.
Speedloader88

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by Speedloader88 »

Cole, IMO, is not a #1 starter. Very Kip Wells like. Great arm that hitters can hit.
PMike

Starting Pitching Depth

Post by PMike »

54776262636B68666362753F3F070 wrote: Cole, IMO, is not a #1 starter.  Very Kip Wells like.  Great arm that hitters can hit.

C'mon. That's ridiculous. Kip Wells had two seasons in his career with an ERA under 4. Cole has done it every year. And he finished 4th in CY voting just a year and a half ago.

I think it could be fair to argue that he may not be a #1 (though I disagree if he is healthy), but comparing him to Kip Wells takes away your validity.