general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7F293F2B243E2E25283F0D2A202C2421632E4D0 wrote:

Oakland A's extend win steak to 10 with a Double Header win over the Twins
A's win again- streak at 11

The Twins gave away the game twice in the last inning.  It was a reminder that dumb things happen to teams other than the Pirates.
Twins had a 2 run lead in the 10th with 2 outs and the make believe runner at 2B. Then 2 walks loaded the bases and a routine ground ball to the 2nd baseman was flubbed for an error to score 1 run instead of ending the game. Then the next batter hit a 2-hopper right to the 3Bman who channeled his inner Pedro Alvarez and threw the ball about 15 feet to the outfield side of 1B for the game ending error. And that was after after hitting a plethora of foul balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWld721Wk-Q" style="border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%">

That wild throw by the 3Bman was a wonder to behold.  It was in the air for quite sometime before touching down.  You might say it was airborne for a plethora of seconds.
Doc, I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone that the ball was airborne for a plethora of seconds and find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora.

:D :D :D

I've always thought that "plethora" means "more than required or is necessary". I looked it up to be certain and that's the meaning.  That throw, to be sure, was more than what was required.  I love words.

I love that dialogue from Three Amigos. I'm guessing Steve Martin wrote that bit. Sounds like him.

That movie was filled with the typical sophomoric humor that Steve Martin and Martin Short are known for.  I love that stuff.  I try to convince my wife that it's actually very high-brow but she doesn't buy it.

Oakland's win streak continues with a 3-1 victory over the Orioles for their 12th straight win
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

5D63666E7D65656E4E6B7C6F380A0 wrote:

Oakland's win streak continues with a 3-1 victory over the Orioles for their 12th straight win
And they began the season 1-7.
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

072A27363120377774450 wrote:

A's continue their streak which is now at 13
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

Braves are playing a D/H (7 inning games) vs AZ. Braves had 1 hit in game 1 and so far have no hits against Bumgarner after 4 innings in game 2.
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

436E63727564733330010 wrote: Braves are playing a D/H (7 inning games) vs AZ. Braves had 1 hit in game 1 and so far have no hits against Bumgarner after 4 innings in game 2.
Musgrove goes against the Dodgers on ESPN tonight
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

567B76676071662625140 wrote:

A's streak ends as Orioles win 8-1
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

Bumbarner did not give up a hit but MLB is not crediting no-hitters in 7-inning games. He faced 21 batters but 1 reached on an error and was erased on a DP. The Braves had 1 hit in the 14 innings they played today.
Surgnbuck

The other games

Post by Surgnbuck »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: Bumbarner did not give up a hit but MLB is not crediting no-hitters in 7-inning games. He faced 21 batters but 1 reached on an error and was erased on a DP. The Braves had 1 hit in the 14 innings they played today.
I was going to post about the no hitter that isn't. Guess they didn't think this one through when they decided not to play an entire game
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

123433262F2334222A410 wrote: Bumbarner did not give up a hit but MLB is not crediting no-hitters in 7-inning games. He faced 21 batters but 1 reached on an error and was erased on a DP. The Braves had 1 hit in the 14 innings they played today.
I was going to post about the no hitter that isn't. Guess they didn't think this one through when they decided not to play an entire game
Years ago MLB took no-hitters off the books if they had occurred in rain shortened games. I guess they see this as a similar situation. IMHO, a no hit game is a no hit game as long as it's the entire game regardless of how many innings that game took.

After the game the Dbacks broadcasters were going to do a Robbie-esque interview with Bumgarner but he cut them off and said he had only 2 things to say. He said he wanted to thank the shadows in the stadium that helped him out and he wanted thank Rob Manfra for making 7 inning games. Then he took off the headset and left without taking questions. I loved it. I wish Pirates would nip Robbie interviews in the bud.
Surgnbuck

The other games

Post by Surgnbuck »

Padres tie game up after being down 6 in the 7th. In MLB history teams down 6 plus runs 7th or later have a winning pct. of .007. Sure would hate SD to join that elite list with the extra inning rule this year by winning a gjost runner game