The other games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6D53565E4D55555E7E5B4C5F083A0 wrote:

Braves score 6 in the top of the 1st against the Cubs- Lets go Braves
5 HRs in the first inning. 4 for Atl and 1 for Cubs.
Reminds me of that crazy game between the Phillies and Cubs when the Phillies won 23-22. I think it was the same year the bucs won their last World Series
Yes, 1979. I have a tape of the radio broadcast of that game. Imagine having 22 runs in the 10th innings and still needing to get someone on base.  :)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 5170.shtml

Phils batted around in top of first and pitcher Randy Lerch hit a HR. But he didn't make it thru the bottom of the first as the Cubs scored 6.
Oakland A's extend win steak to 10 with a Double Header win over the Twins
A's win again- streak at 11
2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6C52575F4C54545F7F5A4D5E093B0 wrote:

Braves score 6 in the top of the 1st against the Cubs- Lets go Braves
5 HRs in the first inning. 4 for Atl and 1 for Cubs.
Reminds me of that crazy game between the Phillies and Cubs when the Phillies won 23-22. I think it was the same year the bucs won their last World Series
Yes, 1979. I have a tape of the radio broadcast of that game. Imagine having 22 runs in the 10th innings and still needing to get someone on base.  :)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 5170.shtml

Phils batted around in top of first and pitcher Randy Lerch hit a HR. But he didn't make it thru the bottom of the first as the Cubs scored 6.

The Twins gave away the game twice in the last inning. It was a reminder that dumb things happen to teams other than the Pirates.
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

0254425659435358554270575D51595C1E53300 wrote:

The Twins gave away the game twice in the last inning.  It was a reminder that dumb things happen to teams other than the Pirates.
Twins had a 2 run lead in the 10th with 2 outs and the make believe runner at 2B. Then 2 walks loaded the bases and a routine ground ball to the 2nd baseman was flubbed for an error to score 1 run instead of ending the game. Then the next batter hit a 2-hopper right to the 3Bman who channeled his inner Pedro Alvarez and threw the ball about 15 feet to the outfield side of 1B for the game ending error. And that was after after hitting a plethora of foul balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWld721Wk-Q" style="border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%">
2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

557875646372652526170 wrote:

The Twins gave away the game twice in the last inning.  It was a reminder that dumb things happen to teams other than the Pirates.
Twins had a 2 run lead in the 10th with 2 outs and the make believe runner at 2B. Then 2 walks loaded the bases and a routine ground ball to the 2nd baseman was flubbed for an error to score 1 run instead of ending the game. Then the next batter hit a 2-hopper right to the 3Bman who channeled his inner Pedro Alvarez and threw the ball about 15 feet to the outfield side of 1B for the game ending error. And that was after after hitting a plethora of foul balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWld721Wk-Q" style="border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%">

That wild throw by the 3Bman was a wonder to behold. It was in the air for quite sometime before touching down. You might say it was airborne for a plethora of seconds.
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

683E283C332939323F281A3D373B333674395A0 wrote:

That wild throw by the 3Bman was a wonder to behold.  It was in the air for quite sometime before touching down.  You might say it was airborne for a plethora of seconds.
Doc, I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone that the ball was airborne for a plethora of seconds and find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora.

:D :D :D
2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

694449585F4E59191A2B0 wrote:

That wild throw by the 3Bman was a wonder to behold.  It was in the air for quite sometime before touching down.  You might say it was airborne for a plethora of seconds.
Doc, I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone that the ball was airborne for a plethora of seconds and find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora.

I've always thought that "plethora" means "more than required or is necessary". I looked it up to be certain and that's the meaning. That throw, to be sure, was more than what was required. I love words.
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

2C7A6C78776D7D767B6C5E79737F7772307D1E0 wrote:

I've always thought that "plethora" means "more than required or is necessary". I looked it up to be certain and that's the meaning.  That throw, to be sure, was more than what was required.  I love words.

I love that dialogue from Three Amigos. I'm guessing Steve Martin wrote that bit. Sounds like him.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

5A777A6B6C7D6A2A29180 wrote:

I've always thought that "plethora" means "more than required or is necessary". I looked it up to be certain and that's the meaning.  That throw, to be sure, was more than what was required.  I love words.

I love that dialogue from Three Amigos. I'm guessing Steve Martin wrote that bit. Sounds like him.

That movie was filled with the typical sophomoric humor that Steve Martin and Martin Short are known for. I love that stuff. I try to convince my wife that it's actually very high-brow but she doesn't buy it.
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

663026323D27373C3126143339353D387A37540 wrote:

That movie was filled with the typical sophomoric humor that Steve Martin and Martin Short are known for.  I love that stuff.  I try to convince my wife that it's actually very high-brow but she doesn't buy it.

If someone else said the same thing, do you think she would buy it? :D
2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

635D5850435B5B507055425106340 wrote:

That movie was filled with the typical sophomoric humor that Steve Martin and Martin Short are known for.  I love that stuff.  I try to convince my wife that it's actually very high-brow but she doesn't buy it.

If someone else said the same thing, do you think she would buy it? :D

It goes without saying.