The season's hanging by a thread, thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I just saw the highlights.

Harrison got thrown out at third base in the 8th inning as the tying run? Why is he so bad on the bases? How is he so bad at this level. But it's ok, he hustles. I would bench him. When will he learn? I hate mental errors. Harrison probably leads the league.
PMike

Post by PMike »

78737B777273682D2B5C657D747373327F731C0 wrote: I just saw the highlights.

Harrison got thrown out at third base in the 8th inning as the tying run? Why is he so bad on the bases? How is he so bad at this level. But it's ok, he hustles. I would bench him. When will he learn? I hate mental errors. Harrison probably leads the league.

Apparently Sofield was waving him to third as well. I like to take every opportunity to pile on. He is terrible. He was out by a long way.
Quail

Post by Quail »

6F7256545A3F0 wrote: McCutchen goes 3 for 4, Taillon pitches a gem and we're at home playing a team that is 19 games under .500. If that recipe doesn't get you a win in a September WC race then I don't even know what we can hope for.

This should have been a lay-up, a gimme, like shooting fish in a barrel. Use whatever 'perfect setup' metaphor you want. Did we actually make 4 unforced outs on the bases in a one run ballgame against the worst fielding team in the NL? Who does that? Unfortunately a team that's not likely going anywhere.   

They certainly didn't play like the worst fielding team in the majors.  Perez also made a fantastic play on Cervelli late in the game.

No they didn't. They made a couple of outstanding defensive plays and looked more like the team that was fighting for that WC spot than the one that actually is. >:(
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1B3C2D292C310E3A2D2C2C31480 wrote:

While we are talking about Cervelli I'll mention it again about him he has been extremely disappointing this season overall not being able to stay healthy and just in general with his hitting and his fielding. I don't want to judge too quick and I'll still give him time and another year but for 3 years 39 million he better perform a hell of a lot better next season overall. You can't pay a guy the kind of contract they gave Cervelli and have him playing the way he is. It's not good enough and it needs to be a lot better next season. For him to still have no home runs for the kind of money they are paying him is inexcusable.

Actually it was 3 years, 31 million.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/178617598 ... ough-2019/

Currently on the final year of his previous contract, he's getting 3.5 million, which ranks him only 18th among catchers.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/salary/catcher/

His contract extension calls for 9 mil in 2017, 10.5 mil in 2018 and 11.5 mil in 2019. Six other catchers already make 14 million a year or more. So even when his higher amounts kick in in 2018 and 2019, he won't be among the highest paid catchers and will probably be passed by a few others by then. So while his contract may seem huge by Pirate standards, it's not among the highest by MLB standards and those standards have 3 more years to catch and surpass him.
thessy

Post by thessy »

5259515D5859420701764F575E5959185559360 wrote: I just saw the highlights.

I would like to see Harrison get a little less playing time as well, but you have to be careful about benching a guy for listening to his coach. As Harrison hit second base the play on the ball was directly behind him. I don't think he took the time to do a 180 and look (and he shouldn't have) and was going 100% on Sofield waving him over.

Something else that frustrated me last night which I haven't seen mentioned were the 9th inning AB's of Cervelli and Mercer. Freese walks and Adam Frazier pinch runs. Frazier is put in there to get himself into scoring position, and it seems the only two people who didn't realize that were the next two Pirate batters. Cervelli comes up and pops out to short on the first pitch he sees, then Mercer lines out to right on a 1-0 count to end the game with Frazier never having the opportunity to try to get into scoring position. Part of that has to be on Hurdle too I suppose. Why pinch run Frazier if you aren't going to let him run? No disrespect intended, but Cervelli and Mercer are batting 7 and 8 in the lineup for a reason. You need to have confidence in your players, but Cervelli is about a hundred times (literally, I would reckon) more likely to shank a single and score Frazier from second than he is to hit one off the wall and knock him in from first.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7B676A7C7C760F0 wrote:

Something else that frustrated me last night which I haven't seen mentioned were the 9th inning AB's of Cervelli and Mercer. Freese walks and Adam Frazier pinch runs. Frazier is put in there to get himself into scoring position, and it seems the only two people who didn't realize that were the next two Pirate batters.  Cervelli comes up and pops out to short on the first pitch he sees, then Mercer lines out to right on a 1-0 count to end the game with Frazier never having the opportunity to try to get into scoring position.  Part of that has to be on Hurdle too I suppose.  Why pinch run Frazier if you aren't going to let him run?  No disrespect intended, but Cervelli and Mercer are batting 7 and 8 in the lineup for a reason.  You need to have confidence in your players, but Cervelli is about a hundred times (literally, I would reckon) more likely to shank a single and score Frazier from second than he is to hit one off the wall and knock him in from first.
I disagree. A SB is nice but if he's thrown out down by a run with 1 out already in the 9th, it pretty much seals the loss. It's very risky in that situation and not at all an automatic play. Frazier PR for Freese because he's faster and had a better chance of going from 1B to 3B on a single or scoring on a double. It made sense to have a faster runner at 1B but not necessarily to risk everything on a SB attempt. If either Cervelli or Mercer drives a ball into a gap he scores. Even if Frazier could steal 2B, they still need either Cervelli or Mercer to get a hit. So they gave Cervelli and Mercer the chance to get a hit but didn't risk Frazier being thrown out before that could happen.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

220F02131405125251600 wrote:

Something else that frustrated me last night which I haven't seen mentioned were the 9th inning AB's of Cervelli and Mercer. Freese walks and Adam Frazier pinch runs. Frazier is put in there to get himself into scoring position, and it seems the only two people who didn't realize that were the next two Pirate batters.  Cervelli comes up and pops out to short on the first pitch he sees, then Mercer lines out to right on a 1-0 count to end the game with Frazier never having the opportunity to try to get into scoring position.  Part of that has to be on Hurdle too I suppose.  Why pinch run Frazier if you aren't going to let him run?  No disrespect intended, but Cervelli and Mercer are batting 7 and 8 in the lineup for a reason.  You need to have confidence in your players, but Cervelli is about a hundred times (literally, I would reckon) more likely to shank a single and score Frazier from second than he is to hit one off the wall and knock him in from first.
I disagree. A SB is nice but if he's thrown out down by a run with 1 out already in the 9th, it pretty much seals the loss. It's very risky in that situation and not at all an automatic play. Frazier PR for Freese because he's faster and had a better chance of going from 1B to 3B on a single or scoring on a double. It made sense to have a faster runner at 1B but not necessarily to risk everything on a SB attempt. If either Cervelli or Mercer drives a ball into a gap he scores. Even if Frazier could steal 2B, they still need either Cervelli or Mercer to get a hit. So they gave Cervelli and Mercer the chance to get a hit but didn't risk Frazier being thrown out before that could happen.

Frazier isn't super fast (certainly faster than Freese) but he isn't a good base stealer , 47 steals vs. 38 times caught in his minor league career.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Harrison does what he wants on the base paths. How many times does he run through stop signs? But he is safe, so it's ok. He listens and is out. He needs to know the situation too. Sofield took a bad gamble, but probably thought an inexperienced 1B wouldn't make the play. Well, he still has a major league arm. Bad call by both player and coach.

I wouldn't expect Frazier to steal either. But a wild pitch or a ball bouncing away from the catcher could advance him over Freese.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

363D35393C3D266365122B333A3D3D7C313D520 wrote: Harrison does what he wants on the base paths. How many times does he run through stop signs? But he is safe, so it's ok. He listens and is out. He needs to know the situation too. Sofield took a bad gamble, but probably thought an inexperienced 1B wouldn't make the play. Well, he still has a major league arm. Bad call by both player and coach.

I wouldn't expect Frazier to steal either. But a wild pitch or a ball bouncing away from the catcher could advance him over Freese.
With the ball down the RF line and Harrison reaching 2B, he couldn't turn around and look to see if he had time to go to 3B. He had to relay on Sofield who made an awful call. Harrison is often reckless and can hurt the team with his base running blunders. But this one was on Sofield.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I agree. I just saw the replay. I believe you that Sofield shouldn't have sent him. But I also think Harrison has to realize he is only going one base. I don't know. But I do know those two on the base paths together is bad.