2018 Pitching Staff

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

timozbuck

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by timozbuck »

153835242332256566570 wrote: didn't know where to

put this, but I just read where the Rockies are spending upwards of 50MM on their bullpen just for next season.

Do you think they're trying to finally unlock the secret of pitching in Coors Field or are they foolish?

I like the fact they are trying a new strategy. Starters just aren't going the distance anymore. Like the past couple post-seasons have shown, teams can start using the bullpen even if a starter is pitching well. I like the idea of the strategy, but will it work?

Agreed, I think it’s a great strategy.  A shutdown bullpen is much easier to acquire at a fraction the price of a few aces. 

I especially like the fact that they’re willing to spend that large check they just received from Manfred. 

I don't think that's going to help in Coors. It's not as though their starters are effective thru 5 or 6 innings and just need relief help to seal the deal. I checked the inning by inning splits for their starters for 2017. After 5 innings was bad but innings 1-5 were inconsistent with starters having good and bad innings. Relievers pitch under the same conditions there. It's not as if the starters just run out of gas and need better relief help. It's the environment they pitch in regardless of starting or relieving.   

Most of the high end BP arms are power pitchers and rely less on the off speed stuff. Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Coors tend to affect high spin rate pitches more (breaking stuff doesn’t break as sharp)? I think that environment may be tougher on starters in general...would be interesting to look at.