2018 Pitching Staff

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

RichD

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by RichD »

This is assuming Cole gets traded .

sp1 Tallion-I think losing a nut was pretty tramatic and he fell off late . The body/mind should now be just fine.

sp2 Nova

sp3 Barult-Need a lefty see what he can do.

sp4 Williams-He`s just a pitcher and should get better.

sp5  ?

Closer- Rivero

Set up- Kuhl -i think he would be a stud at this spot and next year a closer !!!!

the rest

Glasnow- just need him to focus on an inning or 2 at a time .Unless he comes out of spring training on fire .I dont trust him as starter but we dont need to send him back to AAA. He needs to get MLB hitters out now.

Schugel-think the bucs like him

Hudson - only because he has MLB contract that the bucs wont eat early on ins eason.

Nick Kingman - long relief we will need it a lot. This guy could slide into rotation if someone is hurt or sucks .He`s paid his dues and then some we need to see what he`s got.

Barbato or Kontos

Thats 11 pitchers with a starter still needed so a 12 man staff to start season.We will need all those arms because its going to be a long season .Maybe we go to a six man starting rotation that could be possible too.

What you guys think? :D

Merry Christmas to all the long suffering Pirates fans !!!!

You guys need to stop picking on each other , It`s only baseball. 8-)

dogknot17@yahoo.co

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think Kuhl is a lock to start in the rotation.

I am not that high on Brault.

I expect a pitcher in return for Cole to be on the rotation if Cole is traded.
SCBucco

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by SCBucco »

407B717A56120 wrote: This is assuming Cole gets traded .

sp1 Tallion

sp2 Nova

sp3 Barult

sp4 Williams

sp5  ?

Closer- Rivero

Set up- Kuhl -i think he would be a stud at this spot and next year a closer !!!!

the rest

Glasnow- just need him to focus on an inning or 2 at a time .Unless he comes out of spring training on fire .I dont trust him

Schugel-think the bucs like him

Hudson - only because he has MLB contract that the bucs wont eat early on ins eason.

Nick Kingman - long relief we will need it a lot.

Barbato or Kontos

Thats 11 pitchers with a starter still needed so a 12 man staff to start season.We will need all those arms because its going to be a long season .Maybe we go to a six man starting rotation that could be possible too.

What you guys think? :D

Merry Christmas to all the long suffering Pirates fans !!!!

You guys need to stop picking on each other , It`s only baseball. 8-)

Unfortunately, Kuhl will be in the rotation.

We will get someone in the Cole deal that moves into the rotation. I should have prefaced this by saying if he is moved. If its Adams, he goes in at 2 or 3.

Which Nova will show up? The guy that came from the Yanks after the trade and looked like a Cy Young Award candidate - the same one for the first six or seven outing this year, or the guy that finished the season. I might have more faith in Williams at #3, but he shouldn't be cast as such.

I'm not feeling your #3 in the rotation. If so, he is a #5.
RichD

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by RichD »

1-5 Can all be changed but we need a lefty to break thing up ...really all we have is 3`s -4`s and 5`s . So it really doesnt matter.

I think Kuhl would kick ass in set up role .He`s a fired up guy.
RichD

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by RichD »

79727A767372692C2A5D647C757272337E721D0 wrote: I think Kuhl is a lock to start in the rotation.

I am not that high on Brault.

I expect a pitcher in return for Cole to be on the rotation if Cole is traded.

So then how is your Bucco staff made up ?

Go ahead and show us.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Taillion, Nova, Kuhl, Williams, Cole Return for the rotation.

Rivero, Hudson, Kontos, and Schugel for the bullpen for sure. After that it can be a combination of some young guys like Glasnow, Kingham, Brault. Then there is Neverauskas and Barbato.

I really don't know what the plan is for the bullpen. That's where I think they need some experience. But if it's a total rebuild, I can see the young guys getting innings.
DemDog

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by DemDog »

I for one think that if they trade Cole they should just blow up the team and start all over.  I am only addressing the pitching staff in this post and not any everyday players.  That is a subject for another thread. So I believe that means trading Nova as well and perhaps even Rivero since there will not be many chances for saves. 

It will be hard to tell what they might get in return for Cole and or Nova.  Most certainly they have enough holes to fill for everyday players and might not get a tip top MLB ready starter of note in any trade.  So where do they go from here?  Taillion at the top for sure but where do you go from there?  Williams, Brault, Kuhl, Glasnow and ? 

As for the pen I think that is a crap shoot.  They will need some serious innings eaters there and perhaps what they have now is okay with the exception of the removal of Riverio.  Perhaps you replace Riverio with a kid like Glasnow who does not look like a lock to be a top or the rotation starter but who could perhaps be a pretty good backend of the bullpen guy.

The end result is that 2018 will be a bad, bad year and so might 2019 before the kids in the system begin arriving. 
SammyKhalifa

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0C2D250C272F480 wrote: I for one think that if they trade Cole they should just blow up the team and start all over.  I am only addressing the pitching staff in this post and not any everyday players.  That is a subject for another thread. So I believe that means trading Nova as well and perhaps even Rivero since there will not be many chances for saves. 

It will be hard to tell what they might get in return for Cole and or Nova.  Most certainly they have enough holes to fill for everyday players and might not get a tip top MLB ready starter of note in any trade.  So where do they go from here?  Taillion at the top for sure but where do you go from there?  Williams, Brault, Kuhl, Glasnow and ? 

As for the pen I think that is a crap shoot.  They will need some serious innings eaters there and perhaps what they have now is okay with the exception of the removal of Riverio.  Perhaps you replace Riverio with a kid like Glasnow who does not look like a lock to be a top or the rotation starter but who could perhaps be a pretty good backend of the bullpen guy.

The end result is that 2018 will be a bad, bad year and so might 2019 before the kids in the system begin arriving. 

If they do that I still think the time to trade Rivero is the deadline. There's always a team that thinks that they're "one bullpen piece away" from it all.
notes34

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by notes34 »

1C2E22223604272E2326292E4F0 wrote: I for one think that if they trade Cole they should just blow up the team and start all over.  I am only addressing the pitching staff in this post and not any everyday players.  That is a subject for another thread. So I believe that means trading Nova as well and perhaps even Rivero since there will not be many chances for saves. 

If they do that I still think the time to trade Rivero is the deadline.  There's always a team that thinks that they're "one bullpen piece away" from it all.
I agree. Keep Rivero until the deadline. If he is as dominant as last year someone will overpay for him.
notes34

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by notes34 »

Rotation

Taillon

Nova

Williams

Kuhl

????- From Cole trade Kingham, Glasnow

I think Kuhl definitely stays in the rotation and I think he should. I probably like him more than most. If the walks come down, I think he can be a good starter.