WS - Braves vs Astros

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by SyrBucco »

I would welcome RichRod back to the Pirates. Shouldn't be terribly expensive, and we sure could use him, even if he doesn't reach his best levels.
Ecbucs

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by Ecbucs »

0E242F1F283E3E325D0 wrote: I would welcome RichRod back to the Pirates. Shouldn't be terribly expensive, and we sure could use him, even if he doesn't reach his best levels.

I wonder if the Braves will just non-tender him. Since he had so much success with Bucs he may want to come back.
WildwoodDave2

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7A5C5D4A5C4C3F0 wrote: I would welcome RichRod back to the Pirates. Shouldn't be terribly expensive, and we sure could use him, even if he doesn't reach his best levels.

I wonder if the Braves will just non-tender him.  Since he had so much success with Bucs he may want to come back.

I just wonder why he became so ineffective?
WildwoodDave2

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

46787D75667E7E755570677423110 wrote: Here it is guys, the last action of the 2021 season.  Use this thread to yap away about the games.
Like a lot of people, I will be pulling for the Braves
Braves could end it all tonight. Chop Chop !
Bobster21

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by Bobster21 »

546A6F67746C6C674762756631030 wrote: I would welcome RichRod back to the Pirates. Shouldn't be terribly expensive, and we sure could use him, even if he doesn't reach his best levels.

I wonder if the Braves will just non-tender him.  Since he had so much success with Bucs he may want to come back.

From the Bucs to Braves for 2021 he had less than half the rate of Ks and more than twice the rate of HRs for Atlanta. So maybe he lost some velocity. Nevertheless, he still had fewer hits than IP for both teams and similar ERAs (2.82 for Bucs and 3.12 for Braves). In fact, until his final outing of the season on October 2 which was poor, he had a lower ERA for Atlanta (2.49) than for the Pirates. So I don't think he was really ineffective for the Braves. Seems more like they had a roster numbers crunch and he was expendable whereas in the weak Pirates BP he was their best.
Ecbucs

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by Ecbucs »

193439282F3E29696A5B0 wrote: I would welcome RichRod back to the Pirates. Shouldn't be terribly expensive, and we sure could use him, even if he doesn't reach his best levels.

From the Bucs to Braves for 2021 he had less than half the rate of Ks and more than twice the rate of HRs for Atlanta. So maybe he lost some velocity. Nevertheless, he still had fewer hits than IP for both teams and similar ERAs (2.82 for Bucs and 3.12 for Braves). In fact, until his final outing of the season on October 2 which was poor, he had a lower ERA for Atlanta (2.49) than for the Pirates. So I don't think he was really ineffective for the Braves. Seems more like they had a roster numbers crunch and he was expendable whereas in the weak Pirates BP he was their best.

this sort of explains the difference in talent levels between the Bucs and top teams. Bryse Wilson was expendable for Braves and probably will be one of the Bucs top starters next season. It is pretty amazing how many players the Bucs need to replace (or have make tremendous improvement) to make the Bucs contenders).

I am in the minority on this but I don't think the Bucs have much of a 40 man roster crunch this off season. So many players currently on the 40 man have such low ceilings that if they are cut it won't make much of a difference. A lot of them could end up being replaced in spring training when other teams make their cuts and still be an improvement for the Bucs.
WildwoodDave2

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7B5D5C4B5D4D3E0 wrote: I would welcome RichRod back to the Pirates. Shouldn't be terribly expensive, and we sure could use him, even if he doesn't reach his best levels.

this sort of explains the difference in talent levels between the Bucs and top teams.  Bryse Wilson was expendable for Braves and probably will be one of the Bucs top starters next season.  It is pretty amazing how many players the Bucs need to replace (or have make tremendous improvement) to make the Bucs contenders). 

I am in the minority on this but I don't think the Bucs have much of a 40 man roster crunch this off season.  So many players currently on the 40 man have such low ceilings that if they are cut it won't make much of a difference.  A lot of them could end up being replaced in spring training when other teams make their cuts and still be an improvement for the Bucs.
I'll go along with that
2drfischer@gmail.c

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0A2C2D3A2C3C4F0 wrote: I would welcome RichRod back to the Pirates. Shouldn't be terribly expensive, and we sure could use him, even if he doesn't reach his best levels.

this sort of explains the difference in talent levels between the Bucs and top teams.  Bryse Wilson was expendable for Braves and probably will be one of the Bucs top starters next season.  It is pretty amazing how many players the Bucs need to replace (or have make tremendous improvement) to make the Bucs contenders). 

[highlight]I am in the minority on this but I don't think the Bucs have much of a 40 man roster crunch this off season. [/highlight] So many players currently on the 40 man have such low ceilings that if they are cut it won't make much of a difference.  A lot of them could end up being replaced in spring training when other teams make their cuts and still be an improvement for the Bucs.

I’m in the minority with you.  We’ve all witnessed the past season and can easily conclude that the starting pitching is among the worst in baseball and the position players have two guys who are real major league players.  The others are Four A level. 

I hope BC errors on the side of protecting younger players over keeping many of the guys who wore Pirates uniforms in 2021.  The team isn’t going to win next year, anyway.  Might as well let the young guys gain experience and find out who can play/contribute at this level.
GreenWeenie

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by GreenWeenie »

This has drifted past the WS. Because of that, I'll only add myself to the "minority," without adding my reasons.
GreenWeenie

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by GreenWeenie »

There you go. I certainly didn't do a very good job at predicting this this year's post-season series. Think I called only one right.

Braves came out with more power than I expected. Winning in six is impressive. Also, the lowest payroll club of the four semi-finalists.

We have six months to prepare for narrowing the gap. I'm sure that we'll do a remarkable job. We'll have no shortage of remarks, anyway. ;)