2018 Pitching Staff

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

46676F466D65020 wrote: Buidi will spend most of the season rehabbing from his TJ surgery of May 2017.  Having no more than AA experience I think the Buccos will rehab him as long as possible and then get him up in Sept maybe for a cup of coffee. 

But he seems to be a pretty good prospect and his pre TJ performance seems to warrant the big international bonus money that traded hands.

We shall see how this deal turns out in due course.

You are correct. I thought his surgery was at the end of 2016, I was wrong. I guess he can be on the DL most of the season and come up in August so he gets his 60 days with the big league club. Scratch that idea!
mouse

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by mouse »

I think the speculation was that he could come up near the end of next year and get part of his time, and get the rest (90 days total?) at the beginning of next season. This would enable part of the time to be when rosters are expanded in September.
SammyKhalifa

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7C7E646274110 wrote: I think the speculation was that he could come up near the end of next year and get part of his time, and get the rest (90 days total?) at the beginning of next season. This would enable part of the time to be when rosters are expanded in September.

Yeah, and if he's not good enough to keep on the roster by Spring 2019 it's no real loss if we have to give him back
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2018 Pitching Staff

1C2E22223604272E2326292E4F0 wrote: I think the speculation was that he could come up near the end of next year and get part of his time, and get the rest (90 days total?) at the beginning of next season. This would enable part of the time to be when rosters are expanded in September.

Yeah, and if he's not good enough to keep on the roster by Spring 2019 it's no real loss if we have to give him back

It is really a smart move by the Pirates. He doesn't take up a roster spot as he will be DL'd and he didn't cost actual money or a player in a trade.
SammyKhalifa

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3338303C3938236660172E363F3838793438570 wrote: I think the speculation was that he could come up near the end of next year and get part of his time, and get the rest (90 days total?) at the beginning of next season. This would enable part of the time to be when rosters are expanded in September.

It is really a smart move by the Pirates.  He doesn't take up a roster spot as he will be DL'd and he didn't cost actual money or a player in a trade.

I guess so. I suppose I'm assuming nothing comes from it and that it will be a minor win if it does.
SammyKhalifa

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by SammyKhalifa »

didn't know where to put this, but I just read where the Rockies are spending upwards of 50MM on their bullpen just for next season.

Do you think they're trying to finally unlock the secret of pitching in Coors Field or are they foolish?

dogknot17@yahoo.co

2018 Pitching Staff

0B3935352113303934313E39580 wrote: didn't know where to put this, but I just read where the Rockies are spending upwards of 50MM on their bullpen just for next season.

Do you think they're trying to finally unlock the secret of pitching in Coors Field or are they foolish?

I like the fact they are trying a new strategy. Starters just aren't going the distance anymore. Like the past couple post-seasons have shown, teams can start using the bullpen even if a starter is pitching well. I like the idea of the strategy, but will it work?
timozbuck

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by timozbuck »

565D55595C5D460305724B535A5D5D1C515D320 wrote: didn't know where to put this, but I just read where the Rockies are spending upwards of 50MM on their bullpen just for next season.

I like the fact they are trying a new strategy. Starters just aren't going the distance anymore. Like the past couple post-seasons have shown, teams can start using the bullpen even if a starter is pitching well. I like the idea of the strategy, but will it work?

Agreed, I think it’s a great strategy. A shutdown bullpen is much easier to acquire at a fraction the price of a few aces.

I especially like the fact that they’re willing to spend that large check they just received from Manfred.

Bobster21

2018 Pitching Staff

Post by Bobster21 »

312C282A3F2730262E450 wrote: didn't know where to put this, but I just read where the Rockies are spending upwards of 50MM on their bullpen just for next season.

Agreed, I think it’s a great strategy.  A shutdown bullpen is much easier to acquire at a fraction the price of a few aces. 

I especially like the fact that they’re willing to spend that large check they just received from Manfred. 

I don't think that's going to help in Coors. It's not as though their starters are effective thru 5 or 6 innings and just need relief help to seal the deal. I checked the inning by inning splits for their starters for 2017. After 5 innings was bad but innings 1-5 were inconsistent with starters having good and bad innings. Relievers pitch under the same conditions there. It's not as if the starters just run out of gas and need better relief help. It's the environment they pitch in regardless of starting or relieving.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2018 Pitching Staff

7D505D4C4B5A4D0D0E3F0 wrote: didn't know where to put this, but I just read where the Rockies are spending upwards of 50MM on their bullpen just for next season.

Agreed, I think it’s a great strategy.  A shutdown bullpen is much easier to acquire at a fraction the price of a few aces. 

I don't think that's going to help in Coors. It's not as though their starters are effective thru 5 or 6 innings and just need relief help to seal the deal. I checked the inning by inning splits for their starters for 2017. After 5 innings was bad but innings 1-5 were inconsistent with starters having good and bad innings. Relievers pitch under the same conditions there. It's not as if the starters just run out of gas and need better relief help. It's the environment they pitch in regardless of starting or relieving.   

They are complementing a weak rotation. Pitching is what hurt them in 2017. They improved one area of that staff. They only need the starters to get through five innings. It's a different strategy. Let's see if it pans out.