Official Game Thread - Bucs @ Phillies - 9/26

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I think it's important if they don't lose 100. So many people wrote them off automatically as not just a 100 loss team, but pushing it to historic levels.

They based it on last season, and the players that were traded. This team has outperformed I dare say most peoples projections.

I love that guys were given enough rope to hang themselves with, but when it happened, GMBC didn't leave the bodies hanging around. There have been so many guys burned through the active roster this year not injury related. We can only hope at some point there will be enough arms to do the same thing.

Establishing an atmosphere of opportunity but also accountability. With the two lowest rungs of the minors having established a winning attitude, the seeds to this organization's turnaround have been planted.

I can't wait for next year.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6F494E5B525E495F573C0 wrote: I think it's important if they don't lose 100. So many people wrote them off automatically as not just a 100 loss team, but pushing it to historic levels.

They based it on last season, and the players that were traded. This team has outperformed I dare say most peoples projections.

I love that guys were given enough rope to hang themselves with, but when it happened, GMBC didn't leave the bodies hanging around. There have been so many guys burned through the active roster this year not injury related. We can only hope at some point there will be enough arms to do the same thing.

Establishing an atmosphere of opportunity but also accountability. With the two lowest rungs of the minors having established a winning attitude, the seeds to this organization's turnaround have been planted.

[highlight]I can't wait for next year[/highlight].

I’m resigned that next year will be much like this year. The talent in the organization is still two years away, and I’m expecting Nutting will continue to hold the payroll down, preventing BC from signing any free agents who might be here beyond the Trade Deadline. I don’t like it, but Cherington doesn’t solicit my opinion.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

1D3C341D363E590 wrote: Since pitching 5 perfect innings in his MLB debut, these are the individual game ERAs for Kranick:

3 IP, 3 ERs, ERA: 9.00

3 IP, 4 ERs, ERA: 12.00

5 IP, 6 ERs, ERA: 10.80

4 IP, 3 ERs, ERA: 6.75

4.2 IP, 5 ERs, ERA: 9.64

5 IP, 3 ERs, ERA: 5.40

Overall ERA: 7.28. He does not inspire confidence.
Kranick went 5 scoreless innings- go figure

I thought you were watching the Stillers?  They need to move on from Colbert and Tomlin.  Neither one has a clue when it comes to running a football team in this pass-happy era.  Time for a rebuild, cut Ben and take a real long look at Rudolph.   ;) ;) ;) ;)

before giving Rudolph a chance he needs to beat Ben in a ten yard dash.

Did the Phils choke today or did the Pirates just kick their tails?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

507677607666150 wrote:

Did the Phils choke today or did the Pirates just kick their tails?
They got their butts kicked. And had it not been for a shaky bullpen, the Phils are lucky they aren't the ones who lost 3 in this series. They got a rare night off from Shreve, that let them take game 2 of the series.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

That's what better players do. They take advantage when those opportunities exist. The difference between 3-1 and 1-3 sometimes isn't much.

Over the course of 162 games, they add up to make it look like the bigger difference.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

5305130708120209041321060C00080D4F02610 wrote:

I’m resigned that next year will be much like this year.  The talent in the organization is still two years away, and I’m expecting Nutting will continue to hold the payroll down, preventing BC from signing any free agents who might be here beyond the Trade Deadline.  I don’t like it, but Cherington doesn’t solicit my opinion.

The second half of the season, the Pirates have improved already. They have the same amount of wins. One more and they exceed that 29-52. 

That 12-6 game they lost was the first loss in quite some time over 4 runs, and they actually had a lead in that one, I believe 6-0 before the pen failed. 

This team never gave up, and quite honestly we were kind of lucky seeing the teams they played, because we got to see how they responded.

Though the first and second half records will be not much different, if you can remember back when people were talking about "the second half" and the Bucs schedule, and how they would be luck to even win a series or two? They only had 22 games against non-contending teams- 7 against the Cubs, 6 against the Diamondbacks, and 3 each against the Marlins, Nationals, Tigers.  The rest of it was pretty brutal:

11 against the Brewers (3-8)

13 against the Reds (3-6, 4 remaining)

3 against the Braves (2-1)

7 against the Mets (4-3)

3 against the Giants (2-1)

7 against the Phillies (3-4)

10 against the Cardinals (4-6)

3 against the Dodgers (0-3)

2 against the White Sox (0-2)

The fact that they're actually competing for the last month or two when they could have packed in their bags, is very telling. This team is establishing something. I think they know next season they'll start off in a much better personnel situation.

Better days are coming, and I don't think we'll be waiting a couple of years.

I personally have enjoyed watching them night after night when most have long turned them off. They are exciting to watch, and for over the last couple of months, they don't roll over for anyone. They're 16-19 in their last 35 games. In the 26 games since Polanco was cut, the RF position has produced the following:

.247 BA

.378 OBP

.464 slugging

.842 OPS

4 doubles

1 triple

5 HR's

16 RBI

15 Runs

13 walks

1 Sac fly

3 outfield assists

1 stolen base

1 caught stealing

They're certainly not WS contenders to say the least. But there has been noticeable and measurable improvement on the team from the one last season.

They've improved record wise over last season.

They've improved from the first half of the season, against 4 division winners (White Sox, Dodgers/Giants, Phillies/Braves, Brewers) and both WC contenders (The Loo, Dodgers/Giants) and teams that just fell out of the playoff contention this past week (Reds, Mets) that comprised 59 games (72.8%) of their second half schedule. And this with the trades of Frazier, Rodriguez, Anderson, Davis, Holmes.

Yes, the entire pitching staff needs improved. Let's hope that's next. We can certainly use upgrades at first base, shortstop, catcher. We don't know about 3 key guys who I feel would make any team right now in some capacity-Difo, Tsutsugo, and Shreve.

I don't think we're going to see more of the same. When everyone else was talking 2-3 years to contend, I think this team will be in some form of playoff contention next year.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

90 wins? ;)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5D7B7C69606C7B6D650E0 wrote:

I’m resigned that next year will be much like this year.  The talent in the organization is still two years away, and I’m expecting Nutting will continue to hold the payroll down, preventing BC from signing any free agents who might be here beyond the Trade Deadline.  I don’t like it, but Cherington doesn’t solicit my opinion.

The second half of the season, the Pirates have improved already. They have the same amount of wins. One more and they exceed that 29-52. 

That 12-6 game they lost was the first loss in quite some time over 4 runs, and they actually had a lead in that one, I believe 6-0 before the pen failed. 

This team never gave up, and quite honestly we were kind of lucky seeing the teams they played, because we got to see how they responded.

Though the first and second half records will be not much different, if you can remember back when people were talking about "the second half" and the Bucs schedule, and how they would be luck to even win a series or two? They only had 22 games against non-contending teams- 7 against the Cubs, 6 against the Diamondbacks, and 3 each against the Marlins, Nationals, Tigers.  The rest of it was pretty brutal:

11 against the Brewers (3-8)

13 against the Reds (3-6, 4 remaining)

3 against the Braves (2-1)

7 against the Mets (4-3)

3 against the Giants (2-1)

7 against the Phillies (3-4)

10 against the Cardinals (4-6)

3 against the Dodgers (0-3)

2 against the White Sox (0-2)

The fact that they're actually competing for the last month or two when they could have packed in their bags, is very telling. This team is establishing something. I think they know next season they'll start off in a much better personnel situation.

Better days are coming, and I don't think we'll be waiting a couple of years.

I personally have enjoyed watching them night after night when most have long turned them off. They are exciting to watch, and for over the last couple of months, they don't roll over for anyone. They're 16-19 in their last 35 games. In the 26 games since Polanco was cut, the RF position has produced the following:

.247 BA

.378 OBP

.464 slugging

.842 OPS

4 doubles

1 triple

5 HR's

16 RBI

15 Runs

13 walks

1 Sac fly

3 outfield assists

1 stolen base

1 caught stealing

They're certainly not WS contenders to say the least. But there has been noticeable and measurable improvement on the team from the one last season.

They've improved record wise over last season.

They've improved from the first half of the season, against 4 division winners (White Sox, Dodgers/Giants, Phillies/Braves, Brewers) and both WC contenders (The Loo, Dodgers/Giants) and teams that just fell out of the playoff contention this past week (Reds, Mets) that comprised 59 games (72.8%) of their second half schedule. And this with the trades of Frazier, Rodriguez, Anderson, Davis, Holmes.

Yes, the entire pitching staff needs improved. Let's hope that's next. We can certainly use upgrades at first base, shortstop, catcher. We don't know about 3 key guys who I feel would make any team right now in some capacity-Difo, Tsutsugo, and Shreve.

I don't think we're going to see more of the same. When everyone else was talking 2-3 years to contend, [highlight]I think this team will be in some form of playoff contention next year.[/highlight]

Surge, I appreciate and commend your positivity but I'm not seeing what you're seeing regarding next year. There are too few position players from this team who can make contention possible. They need an injection of talent far greater than what's here now. I'd love to say I'm wrong at this time next year but I've seen too little in the way of potential from too many players.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

As for "competing when they could have packed their bags," everyone on the roster has something to prove for the sake of their own careers. Even Reynolds is bouncing back from an awful 2020 and wants to offset that with the best stats possible. Hayes has disappointed after a strong 2020 and has reason to continue to do his best thru the end of the season. The entire pitching staff is comprised of prospects, AAAA players, recent additions and castoffs. Gamel, Alford, Perez, Difo and Tsutsugo were castoffs. And others who didn't perform well in their same situation are now gone. Newman and Moran are trying to hold onto starting jobs in MLB if not with the Pirates then elsewhere. Stallings became a good starting catcher after being DFA'd and probably doesn't want to let up. Tucker and Park are trying to show they belong. So every player on the roster has reason to be self motivated regardless of the fortunes of the team. OTOH, many of those players will likely not be with the team next year and even fewer in 2023. So it's hard to see this as a stepping stone for next year and beyond when the cast will likely be very different.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm assuming that neither Joe Block nor Derek Shelton are going anywhere.

So much for 'Contending Talk." :))))))