How I rank the potential trade pieces

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I said "could".

Having Nova lowers the need for another starting pitcher. Quintana would be a great addition, but giving up certain players for him could have changed. He is no longer that great need.

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

My list of Untouchables includes:

1) Meadows, who may need to replace Cutch as early as July of this year.

2) Keller, who will need to replace Cole about 2 years from now

3) Newman, who is the heir replacement to Jody Mercer next year.

All of the above have defined roles with the Pirates in the near-term.

The players I would be willing to trade for Quintana are:

1) Glasnow, a high upside pitcher whom the Sox should value. Pirates would use Quintana to take his role with the Bucs.

2) Bell. I love Bell and his bat, but his defense is down-right scary from what I saw last year. Bell should be highly valued by the Sox because it also would allow them to shop Abreau with some confidence.

3) I would prefer not to trade Polanco or Marte, but if the deal was Marte (or Polanco) and some lower valued prospect, perhaps someone like Holmes, then I would consider that deal. If this occurred, Cutch would remain for at least the next 4 months with Meadows being his heir replacement for center and Bell taking over RF (despite the bad defense).

Last year the pitcher I wanted the Pirates to obtain was Carrasco. Quintana has many of the same values - low guaranteed salary for 4 years and a quality pitcher, and doesn't have some of the injury history that Carrasco had. At this point, if the BUcs could acquire Quintana for some combo of either Glasnow, Bell, and two lesser prospects that rank outside the top ten in the Pirate system, or a Marte or Polanco with a lesser prospect, then I do the deal. A starting staff with 4 pitchers who should see success in 2016 would be big, and Kingham could help give a boost come July or August.