Trade news

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Trade news

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6F646C6065647F3A3C4B726A6364642568640B0 wrote: I hope they aren't headed that way.  I think this team has some good players.  These guys have won before.  And some of those trades helped the Pirates win (Morton, Locke). 

I want to trade for next year more than this year.  Huntington has been pretty good at the deadlines getting players to help down the stretch and not giving up much.  Maybe he can land a 3B of the future or a good bullpen arm?  Starting pitching would be nice too, but the Pirates have depth. 

I, too, was hoping the Pirates and their fans were done with the "what can we trade this guy for".  One bad season in 2016 really turned the fan base (this year isn't helping either) after three years of making the Playoffs. 

Rivero is a perfect example.  Why trade him?  He is cheap, dominant, and can't go anywhere.  He hasn't even been a Pirate for a whole season, year.

I don't want to trade off guys just because their contract is up or whatever. But I also think that if the season is lost you're blowing resources by not at least looking into it.

Now is the season lost? That's the puzzle. I'm afraid we'll end up being stuck in the middle.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade news

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

But you can make trades for next year compared to making trades for five years down the road. I know this is rare, but doesn't have to be.

This had to be the thought process for the Pirates last year. The Standings said they were in it, but we all knew the real story. The Melancon trade was very good for this year (probably a lot better than expected, but still). Nova had to be signed, but the Pirates had first crack at him.

I don't know. This is a different team with Kang and Marte. There is no doubt in my mind they would be leading the division with those two considering their replacements.
SammyKhalifa

Trade news

Post by SammyKhalifa »

They'd at least be right around even. I think five games or so is a fair number.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade news

596B67677341626B66636C6B0A0 wrote: They'd at least be right around even.  I think five games or so is a fair number.

The replacements are batting .244 in 752 at bats. I would think that Kang and Marte would have over 225 at bats each by now. That is 450 at bats not going to Freese, Frazier, Jaso, Osuna, Ngoepe, Hanson, Gosselin, Ortiz, and Bostick.
notes34

Trade news

Post by notes34 »

496A7F7F7E76757B7E7F6822221A0 wrote: Cole and McCutchen are both beginning to hold up there end of the trade bargain by increasing their value!  It is so much more fun to watch the Pirates when Andrew is playing like he is now! 
Yes and I am going to be sad to see him go, but I believe we are I the final weeks of #22 being a Pirate :'(
CTBucco

Trade news

Post by CTBucco »

6C676F6366677C393F487169606767266B67080 wrote: I want to add and not trade anyone, except Watson.  Let's get a Bullpen arm and a third baseman.

Of course, this is assuming Watson is still wanted. 
Any thoughts on who to add at 3rd? My first thought was Moustakas, but his WAR is the same as Freese's. Clearly, he has more thump. I haven't watched him much. Is his D a big dropoff from Freese's? How else are their WARs so similar?
notes34

Trade news

Post by notes34 »

2037211600000C630 wrote: I want to add and not trade anyone, except Watson.  Let's get a Bullpen arm and a third baseman.

Of course, this is assuming Watson is still wanted. 
Any thoughts on who to add at 3rd?  My first thought was Moustakas, but his WAR is the same as Freese's.  Clearly, he has more thump.  I haven't watched him much.  Is his D a big dropoff from Freese's?  How else are their WARs so similar?That is a pipe dream. There is no way the Pirates are going to add anyone at 3rd. Freese is doing well enough and is relatively cheap.
fjk090852-7

Trade news

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Between Freese and Harrison the Bucs don't need a third baseman. They could use some help in the bullpen.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade news

7B77762D242D25282F302A1D0 wrote: Between Freese and Harrison the Bucs don't need a third baseman. They could use some help in the bullpen.

My thought process is because Kang could be done, Freese isn't a long term solution.

The team would be better with Frazier and Freese on the bench and as super utilities with an all star type third baseman.
johnfluharty

Trade news

Post by johnfluharty »

No way in heck I'd want them to give up the prospects necessary to get an all star type third baseman.